PDA

View Full Version : Out of Formation Command Checks and Fleeing

Detharious
08-05-2015, 09:29 PM
So after a bit of digging I was trying to better grasp Command Checks and Formation rules... To this end I've got a question-

When a Model of a Unit is outside of Formation at the end of their movement they make a -2 CMD check or they Flee (and they cannot make attacks since they are no longer in formation), If this unit passes the check they still can't engage, make free strikes, or take an action the next activation due to being outside of Formation. So Why is the CMD check even needed if the success means they'll be suffering from the penalities of being outside of formation upon next activation. Is it simply to ensure they do not have the "Fleeing" Condition?

Also to double check- if you use a Commander's CMD in an out of formation check the Commander's CMD is not reduced correct?

Stormpuppy_Infantry
08-05-2015, 09:39 PM
At the end of a unit's activation, every out-of-formation trooper must pass a command check or flee.

They check it at the end of its unit's activation. They does not have to do this every time they are out of formation.

If the model passes the check the trooper is not fleeing. That is the diffrence.

If the out of formation trooper makes a command check and a model with Commander advantage is near of it, it can uses its own CMD-2 or the Commander's CMD. Because rules says that the trooper's CMD is reduced, not the others, so it does nothing with models with Commander.

doublecheeze
08-05-2015, 09:46 PM
the only thing ai can think of is lets say the model is not fleeing and you kill the unit leader and field promotion puts him back into command, I believe he can now make free strikes. Versus if the model was fleeing it is still fleeing

Detharious
08-05-2015, 09:47 PM
If the model passes the check the trooper is not fleeing. That is the diffrence.

but, the model would still be unable to take actions, receive orders, or engage as it is still outside of formation. It would not be Fleeing yes- but, it would still be forced to make a full advance towards the unit to get back into formation and forfiet its action due to Out of Formation rules and not the Fleeing rules. Is the only benefit here that you can advance towards an enemy model since you are not fleeing?

the only thing ai can think of is lets say the model is not fleeing and you kill the unit leader and field promotion puts him back into command, I believe he can now make free strikes. Versus if the model was fleeing it is still fleeing

Okay- that makes sense to me.... Just strange and very odd interaction.

Stormpuppy_Infantry
08-05-2015, 10:48 PM
but, the model would still be unable to take actions, receive orders, or engage as it is still outside of formation. It would not be Fleeing yes- but, it would still be forced to make a full advance towards the unit to get back into formation and forfiet its action due to Out of Formation rules and not the Fleeing rules. Is the only benefit here that you can advance towards an enemy model since you are not fleeing?

It have enough meaning because we are discussing rules problem. If you want to have a tactical discussion then it seems not much diffrent but tactical discussion is not allowed in here. If you are want to know why the developer designed the rules then you better contact with PP staffs, although I don't think that they have enough reason to answer.