PDA

View Full Version : Base to base contack

LordZoulDK
08-08-2015, 06:06 AM
Hello guys, Im playing in a local store and im not sure if this is a general problem, or just a few of the guys playing there.

So here is the senario

I tell my Flame guards to go into Shield wall, and then move them try and make sure they are base to base.

Now here comes the problem, the models might be pushed or moved alittle, for what ever reason, you bush the table alittle, you opponet removs a model it was in contack with, or somthing, you get the point,

Then my opponet attacks, or then they are like 1millimeter apart, therefor they say they are not in base to base anymore, so unless i "said" with every model that they where in base to base, they then suddenly wherent anymore. which is kind of anoying to have to ***** about.

So my question is, is this normal? And if there might be a ruling to help around this problem? So you dont need to say "this model is in base to base contakt with this" and so on.

Sorry for my half bad english, and Thanks for any help

drachenfels
08-08-2015, 06:10 AM
yea model jiggle can happen, and even model pose can make direct contact almost impossible, just make sure as you are moving the models (as in way before your opponent targets them) that you declare the intent of the move ("moving in shield wall, each guy basing the guy next to him"), or if necessary use proxy bases to mark specific models proper positions.

IceShadow
08-08-2015, 06:25 AM
You really should declare your intent. Without that it's hard to know what you meant to do.

LordZoulDK
08-08-2015, 06:45 AM
Oh, i dit say, they go into Shieldwall, and then move them, But is it really nessesary to say "this model is in base to base with this one" after you moved, when it should be clear by just looking?

IceShadow
08-08-2015, 06:51 AM
Oh, i dit say, they go into Shieldwall, and then move them, But is it really nessesary to say "this model is in base to base with this one" after you moved, when it should be clear by just looking?

You yourself pointed out why it isn't always clear by just looking. When you're moving a model and it needs to be very precise as to what it is doing, such as going base to base with another model or toeing into a forest or hill, it's best to be explicit about what the model is doing so your opponent knows. This will stop a lot of arguments from happening later as to what model is actually meant to be doing.

Ogrob
08-08-2015, 07:39 AM
And the rest of your question is a sportsmanship issue, which is usually debated in general discussion. Or better yet, discussed with your group.

anderfreak
08-08-2015, 09:33 AM
As someone who plays with Iron Fang Pikemen quite regularly, I always, always, always make a point to declare what's base to base as they move into it, not just in case of table jiggle, but also as a result of the beautiful, but totally inconvenient, models simply not fitting together in formation even though the bases should fit. Proxying an entire unit when shieldwall is declared HAS actually crossed my mind... and I've definitely avoided pulling them out on nights I don't feel like I have the patience for it.

It gets tedious, but the burden is on YOU to make sure the intent is clear and to police your models when they're bumped out of B2B or just the model doesn't quite fit where the actual base should.

If your opponents refuse to acknowledge your intent, that's definitely a sportsmanship issue.

Larnu
08-08-2015, 11:45 PM
Declaring Shield Wall, doesn't declare intent to put all your models in Base to Base, remember that. If you are declaring it, as everything has said, thrn declare your intentions of what models are in Base to Base when youbfinish moving each one. This eliminates any misunderstanding, and if the table is knocked, moving the models back won't be an issue, as you're restoring game state, rather than making it look like you're trying to gain an advantage.

rydiafan
08-09-2015, 10:44 AM
There is no such thing as too much communication. It is always a good idea to make clear your intent, so your opponent doesn't have to make assumptions. You might think what you mean to do is obvious, but it might not be. A clear declaration of intent is the best way to avoid confusion at the table.

DemonCalibre
08-09-2015, 11:14 AM

I would say so, because sometimes guys can't quite get base to base, due to having to move around stuff.

That happens to me when I get a little careless with my lead Iron Fangs, if I move them a slight angle, and sometimes I can block off a guy from getting base to them because I force them to go through terrain, but didn't move slow enough on the first fang to get the second fang enough movement to make it, and he will be out by a little.

Iron Fangs rank up so badly, after awhile you get use to saying "this group is base to base, that guy isn't though" because it can be quite tough to actually get the old metal fangs to touch bases.