PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on blast damage

CratZ
08-09-2015, 08:49 AM
So after meeting some players and differing views on blast damage rulings: If something says that you roll "POW X blast damage rolls" you aren't supposed to halve it.

So after doing some searches I've found some threads claiming that not all Blast Damage Roll are halved. Yet after researching the rulebook the only reference to blast damage is in the AoE section and it VERY clearly says:
Blast damage roll = 2d6 + 1/2 POW

I just can't find any reason to interpret the rules in any other way than that the POW value given for any blast damage roll is always halved no matter what. Where do some people get the idea that this is not always so?

Can you also please give a detailed reasoning, if it indeed is so, why. My normal gaming group just won't go along with "someone on the internet said so".

Larnu
08-09-2015, 09:22 AM
Blast damage is always halved from the main damage source. There's are AOEs that deal the same damage amount t to all models in the AOE, but therefore the damage is not blast damage. Spells that deal the same damage to all models will say so in their text, for example Empathetic Overload.

denzato
08-09-2015, 09:25 AM
The blast damage from an AOE is 1/2 the base POW + 2d6. However there are some AOEs such as Mage Storm from Ryan in the Black 13th that override. Her AOE specially says that all models hit suffer a POW 12 Magic Damage roll. This overrides the base AOE rules because it says all models suffer the full POW damage roll along with being magical damage and not blast damage.

If a rule tells you all models hit take a specific POW damage roll you wouldn't divide it in half first because it overrides the base rule

Mod_Neldar
08-09-2015, 09:28 AM
The rule book definition of blast damage applies to AOEs that have a POW and will thus deal blast damage. The blast damage is equal to 1/2 POW (rounded up).

An AOE that specifies the damage roll like airburst or breath of corruption will ignore that rule because they spell out exactly how to do the damage roll and use "blast" to describe the type of damage roll.

So if it says "POW X blast damage" then you don't halve it. That's all it is.

solkan
08-09-2015, 10:20 AM
Can you also please give a detailed reasoning, if it indeed is so, why. My normal gaming group just won't go along with "someone on the internet said so".

Are you presenting it as "Someone one the Internet said so"?

Or are you presenting it as this post: https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?1767-Welcome-to-the-Rules-Forum
followed by showing them one of the Infernals (or someone repeating what the Infernals have written) explaining how it is?

CratZ
08-09-2015, 11:13 AM
No, I was asking for a way to not present it as a " someone on the internet said so". You might have given it to me. Thanks

juckto
08-09-2015, 02:13 PM
An AOE that specifies the damage roll like airburst or breath of corruption will ignore that rule because they spell out exactly how to do the damage roll and use "blast" to describe the type of damage roll.
Breath of Corruption doesn't even use the word "blast" .

@OP:

Infernal Ruling (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?84448-When-is-damage-caused-by-AOE-not-blast-damage&p=1136609&viewfull=1#post1136609)

the_true_druid
08-09-2015, 02:17 PM
Eruption of Life does though, Models in the AoE when it's placed suffer Pow 13 Blast Damage. The use of the term Blast is important however because unlike spells like Hellmouth or Breath of Corruption it means that models immune to Blast damage (via Solid Ground or similar) suffer no damage.

Grey Templar
08-09-2015, 03:01 PM
Blast is a type of damage. Much like :DmgType-Fire:, :DmgType-Corrosion:, and:DmgType-Cold:

It is most commonly seen in aoe attacks where it is half the full pow of the aoe. But there are many other sources which instead specify a specific pow(that is not halved)