PDA

View Full Version : 3 Attack related Questions

Diomed
08-09-2015, 09:55 AM
These are beginner level questions, but I could not find a definitive "yes or no" to them on War Room nor in the MkII rule book (maybe not looking the right place).

1) Are models, moving out of melee with an enemy model during a Vengeance move, immune to free strikes?

2) A model with two melee weapons, i.e. a Kithkar solo, when it makes a successful charge attack, does the damage charge bonus affect both weapons, or simply the first weapon used? I guess are both weapons considered initial attacks?

3) May a unit, with both ranged and melee weapons, make both types of attacks? Obviously not a single trooper making both type of attacks, but say two or three troopers making melee attacks and the rest in the unit, who are not engaged make ranged attacks?

Boris YELLtsin
08-09-2015, 10:00 AM
Barring a specific ability or special rule modifying the circumstance, the answers to your questions are as follows:

1) No. Whenever a model advances out of an enemy model's melee range, they are subject to a free strike. The movement from Vengeance is specifically typed as an advance.

2) No. Only the first attack made against the charge target is a charge attack and only the charge attack will gain the boosted damage roll.
Yes, both attacks are initials.

3) Yes.

xenwall
08-09-2015, 10:08 AM
As for your #3) Remember restrictions of orders. If the unit receives a charge order then all members of the unit must charge. Barring any special rules this means that nobody in the unit will be making ranged attacks.

SeoNN
08-09-2015, 10:36 AM
1) Are models, moving out of melee with an enemy model during a Vengeance move, immune to free strikes?
No, becouse Vengeance rulled as "can advance 3˝". And rulebook words Free Strike rule like "When an engaged model advances out of the enemy’s melee range..." (p51 for Primal)

2) A model with two melee weapons, i.e. a Kithkar solo, when it makes a successful charge attack, does the damage charge bonus affect both weapons, or simply the first weapon used? I guess are both weapons considered initial attacks?

Nope. Both considered initial, but according the rulebook (p47 for Primal) only the first is the charge attack (with boost and may be other benefits)

"The charging model’s first attack after ending its charge movement must target the model it charged. If the charging model advanced at least 3˝, this attack is a charge attack."

3) May a unit, with both ranged and melee weapons, make both types of attacks? Obviously not a single trooper making both type of attacks, but say two or three troopers making melee attacks and the rest in the unit, who are not engaged make ranged attacks?
Yep, nothing prevents from this exclude the situation described by @xenwall bit over.

Germanicus
08-09-2015, 11:53 AM
The questions have already been answered, but to expand further:

These are beginner level questions, but I could not find a definitive "yes or no" to them on War Room nor in the MkII rule book (maybe not looking the right place).

No, immunity to free strikes for out of normal movement advancing are always specified. Compare Vengeance to Side Step. Vengeance is just a 3" advance, doesn't say anything about immunities. Side Step is a 2" advance that specifies that free strikes cannot be made during the span of this movement.

Unfortunately not... otherwise models like the Bronzeback Titan would be utterly disgusting. On that note, when you charge, you make one charge attack (singular) out of the potential initials that the model has available. Then you make the remainder of your initial attacks (plural, if applicable) without boosting unless the boost is paid for (forcing/paying focus or soul/power token). However, if you have a special attack linked to the model's weapon (combo strike/smite etc.) then that can be used as the charge attack, sacrificing initials if the rules say so.

Yes, but only if no run/charge based order is given or if they have Virtuoso & Gunslinger (both of them combined, for clarification).

If a run/charge order is given, then those with successful charges can only attack in melee. The rest either failed their charges or ran (it's one of the annoyances of charging with Holt).

I believe the only other instance in which a mixture of both or both outright can happen is if they Assault. Someone might have to refresh me how this is different from Assault & Battery, though... :/

Diomed
08-10-2015, 07:18 AM
Awesome guys, thanks for taking the time to reply and help!