PDA

View Full Version : Molik Karn, "Boosted", Nomenclature.

Thunder_God
12-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Molik Karn has the ability "Fate Ward", which says attacks against him are unboostable for a turn.

The problem is that the word "Boosted" can actually be used in two different ways:
1. Adjective. The attack is boosted. The attack is what is, well, already boosted.
2. Verb. I boosted the attack. The attack wasn't boosted, and I went ahead and gave it a boost.

The problem with this is that in our game, we use both ways of the term "boosted", yet the meaning is not identical. We can boost an attack on a Warlock, Warcaster, Warbeast, Warjack, and some models such as the Forsaken, Ancestral Guardian and others. Such attacks, we cannot boost against Molik Karn, obviously what is meant.

But what about attacks which 'are boosted', such as a charge attack, or attacks from Death March, or "Sic' Em!"? The attack is boosted, and we did not boost it.

And the thing is, the wording on Molik Karn, it doesn't even say that the attacks "cannot be boosted", which would be problematic with the near homonym, but rather, "unboostable", which means one cannot boost them.

I know that as it reads now, as people play it, Molik Karn is immune to both types, but is this actually what's intended? And can we get some work on the "Busted Boosted", if you'll excuse my alliterative pun?

Necra-Chi
12-06-2009, 01:13 PM
Apparently, even charges don't get boosted damage against Molik. You just don't get any boosted anything against fate ward.

Thunder_God
12-06-2009, 01:16 PM
His ability should probably be changed to "Rolls against this model can't be boosted this turn." which is still ambiguous because it's both "cannot have the status "boosted" apply to them" and "You cannot boost them" (the latter leads to the former, but the former does not require the latter).

As the rule is written in the Mk 2 FT though, it's only "You cannot boost them". Well, that's my read of the English language.

Poet
12-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Check out cavalry rules.

Mount attack and damage rolls cannot be boosted.
Light cavalry models can make initial attacks with their mounts, but charge attacks with the mount cannot be boosted, not even by the charge.

Cannot be boosted refers to a state. It cannot be in a state of boosted.
I'll take it even further, electro leaps deal unboostable damage. If you have, say arcane killer on you, the electro leap damage still won't be boosted.

CerberusPuppy
12-06-2009, 06:18 PM
It's ridiculous that you can't even get the extra die from charging, even with infantry. That needs to change.

Kommissar Golovko
12-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Why? Molik can die from hard hitters even without boosts.

Lunatic Calm
12-06-2009, 06:27 PM
As written, whether the roll is already boosted, or you want to choose to boost it, Fate Ward prevents it.

Dark Fledgling
12-06-2009, 08:56 PM
The key difference being that between a boost and an additional die. Non weapon masters charge, they get 2d6. Weapon masters charge, they get 3d6, weapon masters charge under the butchers feat get 4d6.

Additional dice are still a go against karn, just not boosted. Its important to know this, cause it will make all the difference some times.