PDA

View Full Version : New guy questions on Explosivo-spell

Tagakoner
09-09-2015, 01:56 AM
Hi there

So I have three questions on the Explosivo spell:

1 - So I cast Explosivo on a Defender, who then fires his cannon (POW 15) and hits. Two other guys are caught in the AoE. I assume because they say blast damage, the two other guys suffer only POW 8 and the directly hit target receives a POW 15. Just asking this to double check my blast rules, but I think it ties in with the other questions.

2 - If I cast it on a model who also has powerful attack, and I boost the powerful attack roll: Does all the blast damage rolls also get boosted? Powerful attack wording does say: ".. can spend 1 focus to boost all attack and damage rolls for the attack", so this would suggest that it does work like this. BUT, Explosivo states: "Models in the AOE other than the model that was directly hit suffer blast damage rolls but do not suffer any other effects of the attack." - so boosted damage roll on the model directly hit only?

3 - Explosivo is not an upkeep spell, can I thus cast it multiple times on multiple targets in one round?

Sorry if these questions are silly, I just want to make sure I got them right.

Cheers

vintersbastard
09-09-2015, 02:37 AM
@1: Correct, it follows standard AOE rules.

@2: Correct. In fact, you can't even spend focus normally to boost those Explosivo damage rolls.

@3: Correct.

Tagakoner
09-09-2015, 04:12 AM
Oh wow.

Thanks Vintersbastard!

Well, I'm of to try out Siege with Jakes and charger then >:)

Jetelu
09-09-2015, 05:54 AM
I thought you couldn't boost explosivo blast rolls, not even with focus because that is an effect?

AcidOverride
09-09-2015, 06:25 AM
To clarify, I believe that is what Vintersbastard is saying. Not only does Powerful Attack not boost all the AoE damage rolls, you are not allowed to boost them.

Powerful Attack is an effect, Explosivo removes it (though you can still use Powerful Attack for the initial shot) from the blast damage.

Focus: Boost is an effect, Explosivo removes it (so you cannot even boost the blast damage normally)

Jetelu
09-09-2015, 06:34 AM
This is the best designed spell in the entire game. Don't forget that even though the spell makes the attack magical, the blast damage is not magical because, again it is an effect.

Tagakoner
09-10-2015, 12:02 AM
Ah thanks guys:

So recap:

Explosivo + powerful attack(spend a focus for):
- you get a boost to attack roll
- Shot becomes an AoE 3 (if it wasn't already)
- Damage roll on initial target is boosted (due to powerful attack)
- The blast damage is NOT boosted (due to explosivo's wording)

Hopefully this is as clear as possible for anyone who might happen on this thread in the future.

Thanks for the clarification guys!

Cheers

muffinbagare
09-15-2015, 04:02 PM
Not sure if I'm missing something (errata?) Because I have Siege's card in front of me, and reading explosivo, it doesn't seem to give the model an AOE attack. It says "If the weapon was AOE - it becomes AOE 3." and nowhere else does it say the attack becomes AOE if the weapon used normally doesn't have that characteristic. What am I missing? O:

muffinbagare
09-16-2015, 02:31 AM
https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?124453-A-couple-siege-questions&p=1659777&viewfull=1#post1659777

Hmm, yeah I understand that this is the case - however, I can't understand why. Unless I'm missing some errata of some kind. Because his spell card doesn't seem to say it.

vintersbastard
09-16-2015, 03:53 AM
Hmm, yeah I understand that this is the case - however, I can't understand why. Unless I'm missing some errata of some kind. Because his spell card doesn't seem to say it.
You are misreading the hyphen - it's not there as punctuation (which wouldn't make any sense, anyway), but as the text of the weapon entry that gets modified by the spell.

DarkLegacy
09-16-2015, 05:25 AM
If you look an any ranged weapon without an AOE, you'll see that it is marked with a "-". "AOE -" denoted that a ranged attack (or magic attack) is not an AOE. Explosivo changes AOE - to AOE 3.

muffinbagare
09-16-2015, 12:46 PM
Wow... That makes sense.