PDA

View Full Version : Unit out of formation

Grumpkin
09-18-2015, 09:00 AM
Couldn't figure out what to search for this so I'm just going to ask...

I was playing a game last night against a convergence player playing Axis. I Charged my fennblades in systematically engaging his jacks and models with counter charge. Mid way though my units movement he stated he was going to counter charge a model when clearly had a fennblade in melee with the model. He then said because he wasn't currently in formation mid movement of the unit he couldn't engage the model (I had not moved the leader yet). is this true? it doesn't seem right to me but the rules he read seem to support his claim...

Stormpuppy_Infantry
09-18-2015, 09:11 AM
Not really. Though it is true that the model is currently out of formation, but nothing on the Formation rules says that an out of formation trooper have no melee range.

The Unit Formation rules are listed the page 71 of this. (http://privateerpress.com/the-rules-are-free)

SageofLodoss
09-18-2015, 09:13 AM
Model's outside of command range cannot make attacks, but do maintain a melee range as far as I'm aware. It's an almost useless melee range, since not being able to make attacks includes free strikes, but the engagement should still count towards denying the opponent ranged attacks and counter charges.

Leonard_Dukes
09-18-2015, 09:15 AM
Troopers that are out of formation cannot make attacks (including free strikes) while out of formation, but they still engage and can be engaged as normal.

Grumpkin
09-18-2015, 09:21 AM
This was what I was thinking. thanks guys! We ended up playing correct due the disagreement and nobody really had a clear answer around us.