PDA

View Full Version : Melee Range and Charging

10-01-2015, 12:54 PM
Pg. 47:

A charging model that ends its charge movement with its charge target in its melee range has made a successful charge. It must use its action to make a combat action,choosing to make either initial melee attacks or (if it can make a special attack with a melee weapon) a melee special attack.

Pg. 50-51

A model can make melee attacks against any target in its melee range that is in its line of sight. A player can measure his model’s melee range at anytime. A weapon’s melee range extends 0.5 ̋ beyond the model’s
front arc for any type of melee attack. A weapon with Reach has a melee range of 2 ̋. Some effects and special rules increase a weapon’s melee range beyond this. A model’s melee range is the longest melee range of its usable melee weapons.

So I attempted this trick after watching this video, and I got called out for failing a charge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=706yRlErlq8

So denny can see her charge target and therefore she can target it for a charge. The first question comes in here: Is her charge target technically in melee range if she does not have LOS to the target? If so, she cannot see her target and cannot make an attack. The second question came in from my opponent: If she is not eligible to make an attack at the end of her charge movement, does the charge succeed?

DarkLegacy
10-01-2015, 01:03 PM
A charge being successful is merely that you had LOS to determine the target before you charged and that you ended your charge movement with the target in melee range of the model that charged. If you don't have LOS after movement, the rules provide you the ability to redirect your attack to another model. You don't fail if you can't attack the target of the charge.

10-01-2015, 01:37 PM
So as another denny trick, I can technically charge move, venom and kill, and it's still a successful charge?

Grey Templar
10-01-2015, 01:42 PM
Yes, be cause a charge is determined successful or not at the end of your movement, before you cast said spell.

SageofLodoss
10-01-2015, 01:44 PM
So as another denny trick, I can technically charge move, venom and kill, and it's still a successful charge?

Successful charge is determined by arriving with your declared target in your melee range. After that, success or failure is done, regardless of what happens afterwords. If you make a successful charge, then kill your charge target with Venom, Deneghra would be able to redirect her initial melee attack to another target in her melee range and LOS. This redirect is not considered a charge attack.

A model with Energizer could even charge a model, successfully make it into melee, then cast Energizer to move away from the model and no longer be in range to make the charge, but that would be a successful charge too because they still got the target into their melee range before they moved away with energizer.

IceShadow
10-01-2015, 07:10 PM
Or a spell could move the charge target out of range of the charge attack, like Telekinesis, Force Hammer, Soul Gate.