PDA

View Full Version : Obstructions and Colossals in melee, defense bonus ?

Saviouress
10-04-2015, 12:05 AM
Quoting Prime Page 87

A model with
any portion of its volume obscured from its attacker by an
obstruction gains +2 DEF against melee attack rolls.

Quoting Colossals Page 21

A colossal never gains a DEF bonus from concealment,
cover, or elevation.

A model targeting a colossal with a ranged or magic attack
does not suffer the target in melee attack roll penalty. If a
ranged or magic attack misses a colossal in melee, that miss
is not rerolled against another model. It misses completely.
A colossal can be targeted by combined ranged attacks
while it is in melee.

Okay the question is does a Colossal gain the +2 DEF bonus from an obstruction against melee attack rolls ?
The relevant targeting a Colossal rules don't seem to mention it specifically, yet I wonder if that's how it is intended.

Thanks for your answers.

lobachevskii
10-04-2015, 12:18 AM
Rules as written it is clear that the Colossal gets the bonus for being attacked over an obstruction.

Whether that is rules as intended is not something I can comment on. Whether you can convince an opponent (or even a tournament judge) that this is the case is also not something I can comment on. (My record in doing so is not great :rolleyes: )

Saviouress
10-04-2015, 12:30 AM
I'm just asking, because I feel the Terrain rules are the most outdated rules in Prime / Primal.
So I would like an more or less official word if this defense bonus is intended,
and if I should prepare to deal with defense 14 Stormwalls under control of Lieutenant Allison Jakes thanks to Sidekick.

Leonard_Dukes
10-04-2015, 12:46 AM
I'm just asking, because I feel the Terrain rules are the most outdated rules in Prime / Primal.
So I would like an more or less official word if this defense bonus is intended

The defense bonus granted by obstacles/obstructions against melee attacks is untyped (i.e. neither Concealment nor Cover) and, as such, Battle Engines and Colossals/Gargantuans can still benefit from it.

Reference: https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?122249-Attacking-a-colossal-through-a-Linear-Obstacle&p=1634462&viewfull=1#post1634462

Saviouress
10-04-2015, 12:51 AM
Thank you very much, now I just have to hope no Cygnar player realises that ...