PDA

View Full Version : Focus allocation limit

Visen
10-06-2015, 10:59 AM
I couldn't find an answer to this question with a cursory search, so I thought I would just ask. Is the "can only be allocated 3 focus" part of the focus allocation limit a "per turn" thing, or an "at any given time" thing? Here's an example which may make my question clearer:

A warjack is allocated three focus during the control phase
It uses one of these focus to shake an effect, such as knockdown
Later in the turn, through an effect such as Focus Induction or similar abilities, can that warjack now be allocated an additional focus (since it now has only 2), or has the warjack already received its "three focus" for the turn (since it was allocated three earlier)?

The relevant rule is on page 53 of the digest-sized Prime (could be different in the full-size) and reads "a warjack can be allocated up to three focus points..." but does not specify a duration.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Leonard_Dukes
10-06-2015, 11:05 AM
The actual rule is: A Warjack cannot have more than 3 focus as a result of allocation.

Your could, for example, allocate 3 points to a Vector, spend one to shake Stationary/Knockdown/Blind/Shadowbind, and later use induction or Power Transfer to allocate it another focus.

Even though the Vector had 4 focus allocated to it over the course of a turn, it never had more than 3 focus as a result if allocation.

Grey Templar
10-06-2015, 11:09 AM
Allocation works as follows,

A warjack, at the time of the individual allocation, cannot end with more than 3 focus as a result of allocation. You check each time it gets allocated for the limit. Abilities which are not allocation do not count against this limit.

Say we have a bonded Reckoner warjack(which raises the allocation limit to 4). It is knocked down and under the effect of Shadowbind. It is allocated 2 focus by its controller. It spends both to shake Shadowbind and Knock Down. Then a Reclaimer activates and uses his * action to allocate the Reckoner 4 focus by spending 4 souls. The Reckoner has been allocated a total of 6 focus this turn, but never at the time of allocation did it exceed the limit of 4(normally 3).

Now lets say we have Deathjack. He is allocated 3 focus by his controller. Then he gains 2 focus per Skulls of Hate for 2 functional arm systems, gaining focus has no limitation. DJ has 5 focus.

Lets say we again have Deathjack. Except this time he has 2 souls. Prior to allocation, he gains 1 focus for each soul he has on him(not allocation). He is now at 2 focus. Now is the time for allocation. Allocation cannot bring a jack above 3 focus. So he can only be allocated 1 as he has 2 focus already. Then he gains 2 focus from Skulls of Hate.

Again, we have Deathjack. Except this time he has a wopping 8 souls(he can have an infinite number of souls btw). He gains 8 focus from souls. Now its time for allocation. But since allocation can't bring you above 3 he can't be allocated any. Then he gains 2 more from skulls of hate, for a total of 10 focus.

Visen
10-06-2015, 11:25 AM
Okay, got it. Thanks guys!