PDA

View Full Version : Unit coherency and spells/effects

noogai131
10-07-2015, 06:37 AM
I have 2 scenarios. Say I have a unit of bane thralls, and I hand them Ashen Veil for some reason. The first scenario, all models are in command range, the unit runs and some stay out of command range. In the second scenario, one is out of command and runs back into command after the unit receives Ashen Veil and activates.

In scenario 1, do the few that run out of CMD benefit from Ashen Veil, and;
In scenario 2, do the models outside of CMD benefit from Ashen veil after returning into CMD?

Thanks for any replies, and sorry if this has been asked before, I did a quick google search but found nothing.

DarkLegacy
10-07-2015, 06:41 AM
If a spell that affects a unit (either just unit or model/unit) is in effect before a model moves out of formation, it will affect all the models in the unit, regardless of placement on the table.

In your second scenario, if you are describing a model out of formation and then casting Ashen Veil on them, this is disallowed due to the targeting rules and the erratum modifying it.

p. 72. Spells and Effects.
Add the following to the Spells and Effects text: When a model’s special rule or spell allows its controller to choose or target a friendly unit, all models in that unit must be in formation.
If the second scenario is just stating that you had Ashen Veil on them, moved them out, and then moved them back in, yeah, they'd have the effect as they never lost it when they moved out of formation.

noogai131
10-07-2015, 06:47 AM
Excellent, thread is answered and I now have a better understanding of play. I didn't realize that the whole unit had to be in formation, this may hurt my cryx a little. Feel free to lock the thread if you need to.