PDA

View Full Version : Gargantuans and gunfighter

DruidofCyriss
10-07-2015, 05:43 PM
First I want to say sorry for necromancy on an old thread. I forgot the procedure.

In reference to this thread

https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?14457-Gunfighter-Virtuoso-and-Reach

How do the new gargantuans that have gunfighter work? Can the only shoot what is within . 5in of them? What about their rule that says they can shoot while engaged?

Thank you for your time

Fathoym
10-07-2015, 05:50 PM
As far as I'm aware, the only additional thing having Gunfighter on a colossal/gargantuan provides is the ability to charge and make your initial ranged attacks rather than initial melee attacks. Otherwise they act exactly as normal colossals/gargantuans.

DarkLegacy
10-07-2015, 05:51 PM
It can do both. Gunfighter allows you to charge with the gargantuan, shoot, and still make melee/ranged attacks based off of the multiple heads rule. I'm specifically talking about the Desert Hydra (about Multiple Heads). Everything else works generically for Gunfighter.

Fathoym
10-07-2015, 05:53 PM
I thought the Storm Raptor also had Gunfighter, but does not possess multiple heads?

Edit: Oh sorry, it also has Virtuoso which allows it to do a similar thing.

DruidofCyriss
10-07-2015, 06:25 PM
So it can't shoot something that is engaging and 2 in away?

Fathoym
10-07-2015, 06:31 PM
It can. The errata has amended gunfighter to now equal the melee range of the melee weapons the model has. As colossals have a 2" melee range, they can make gunfighter attacks against models within 2", as well as models outside of 2" while engaged.

Literally the only thing Gunfighter on a colossal does is allow the model to make a ranged attack as a charge attack, which DarkLegacy points out is already an option with Multiple Heads (and Virtuoso) anyway.

Cyryst
10-07-2015, 07:07 PM
Wasn't there a rule about colossal/gargantuans not being able to fire thier weapons into targets they are in melee with? I thought Gunfighter would get around that.

SteelheadHunter81
10-07-2015, 07:10 PM
It can. The errata has amended gunfighter to now equal the melee range of the melee weapons the model has. As colossals have a 2" melee range, they can make gunfighter attacks against models within 2", as well as models outside of 2" while engaged.

Literally the only thing Gunfighter on a colossal does is allow the model to make a ranged attack as a charge attack, which DarkLegacy points out is already an option with Multiple Heads (and Virtuoso) anyway.

Huh, where's it listed in Errata?

Fathoym
10-07-2015, 07:17 PM
Huh, where's it listed in Errata?

Huh I'm pretty certain it used to be in the errata, but you're right, it's not in the latest one. Here's a locked thread with the correct answer, even though Valander wasn't an infernal at the time (just). https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?88450-Gun-fighter-vs-Reach-1-5-quot-disabled-zone&p=1189847#post1189847 Edit: and there's me reading American date format wrong, Valander is an infernal in that post.

Wasn't there a rule about colossal/gargantuans not being able to fire thier weapons into targets they are in melee with? I thought Gunfighter would get around that.

I think you're confusing the rule for Weapons Platform not ignoring the target in melee penalty? Gargs and colossals have always been able to shoot into/out of combat. Usually though, you just smack the guys you're engaging with your fists rather than shoot them.

Leonard_Dukes
10-07-2015, 07:32 PM
Gunfighter also allows a model to make free strikes with its ranged weapon(s), though it will not get the +2 attack roll bonus (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?172043-Typhon-and-spray-blight-breath-on-free-strike-with-gunfighter&p=2204224&viewfull=1#post2204224). If it is a ranged attack that generates multiple damage rolls (e.g. AoE template or Spray attack) then all models hit will suffer a boosted damage roll. (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?172043-Typhon-and-spray-blight-breath-on-free-strike-with-gunfighter&p=2204426&viewfull=1#post2204426)

Fathoym
10-07-2015, 07:35 PM
Ah I was really wracking my brain as to why Gunfighter was included on them at all, but I overlooked ^ that interaction. Makes more sense now.