PDA

View Full Version : Jaga-Jaga vs vitriol

Phaedris
10-08-2015, 01:38 PM
Just a quick check that I have this correct.

Jaga-Jaga activates her feat Legion of Death and sends her army to beat up my Croak Raiders.

The raiders that are boxed immediately converted into undead solos by Legion of Death and are therefore not destroyed or removed.

Therefore vitriol triggers and corrodes the models that hit them with melee attacks?

Leonard_Dukes
10-08-2015, 01:46 PM
A model with Vitriol that is affected by Legion of Death is not destroyed by the attack that boxes it (it heals 1 point before becoming destroyed), nor is it removed from play by that attack (it is removed from play by the feat).

The model that attacked it with a melee attack will suffer Corrosion.

Cheesebeard
10-08-2015, 02:09 PM
Just checking my line of reasoning, as the interaction is pertinent to this discussion:

If a Croak Raider takes lethal damage from an enemy melee attack while under Kallus' feat, Host of Angels, the model is removed by the feat at the Disabled step, and thus the attacking enemy model will suffer Continuous Corrosion. Correct?

Phaedris
10-08-2015, 02:23 PM
I don't think that would be the case. Under host of angels the model is still removed which is one of the two conditions that prevents vitriol from triggering.

Cheesebeard
10-08-2015, 02:30 PM
When a friendly living non-Incubus warrior model in Kallus' control area is disabled by an enemy attack, you can replace it with an Incubus model. The replaced model is removed from play. While in Kallus' control area friendly soulless warrior models gain +2 DEF. Host of Angels lasts for one round.

If this model is hit by a melee attack, immediately after the attack is resolved the attacking model suffers the Corrosion continuous effect, unless this model was destroyed or removed from play by the attack.
The key here is "unless this model was destroyed or removed from play by the attack" - which it was not, it was removed from play by the feat (not by the attack).

Phaedris
10-08-2015, 02:45 PM
Fair point. That's what you get for not checking the wording. It should therefore trigger vitriol then.

vintersbastard
10-09-2015, 01:16 AM
The key here is "unless this model was destroyed or removed from play by the attack" - which it was not, it was removed from play by the feat (not by the attack).

I'm actually not sure on that, seeing as other abilities (e.g. Anatomical Precision) that interject in attack resolution still work for such clauses (e.g. Sprint).

Edit:
Okay, having looked into the issue some more, you're apparently right - feats that RFP do prevent such clauses from triggering (e.g. here (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?191761-Dark-Dominion-and-Vengeance&p=2528443&viewfull=1#post2528443) for Dark Dominion vs. Vengeance).

ScottMcd
10-09-2015, 08:05 PM
I'm not sure it would work. The corrosion happens after the attack is resolved. You have to recheck the conditions when it takes effect. At that time, there is no longer a model to create a corrosion effect.

* edit: the reason vengeance works that way is because vengeance is on the models remaining, not the ones removed.

DivideBy0
10-10-2015, 06:04 AM
I'm not sure it would work. The corrosion happens after the attack is resolved. You have to recheck the conditions when it takes effect. At that time, there is no longer a model to create a corrosion effect.

* edit: the reason vengeance works that way is because vengeance is on the models remaining, not the ones removed.

Is this in response to the original question (Jaga-Jaga) or the attached question (Kallus)? Jaga-Jaga's feat doesn't remove from play until the end of the following turn (very first line is "When a living or undead enemy non-warlock, non-warcaster warrior model is boxed by an attack while in Jaga-Jaga's control area this turn, you can take control of it"), since Legion of Death lasts for one round. Croak Raiders's Vitriol doesn't require damage from an enemy attack, just a melee attack, so the Croak is still in play when Vitriol is triggered.

Cheesebeard
10-11-2015, 12:47 PM
Any further thoughts on the Vitriol interaction as it relates to Kallus' feat? My reading of the interaction, per the quoted text above (and I don't know that the vengeance link applies to this specific situation), is that the attacking model will suffer continuous corrosion because vitriol's criteria for not suffering that effect were not met: I.e., the attack hits the croak raider, and does not destroy or remove it from play (the feat is what removes it from play).

It will depend on when the trigger occurs, and how the ability resolves in those circumstances.

If so desired, I can start a new thread for a more exhaustive discussion.

Leonard_Dukes
10-11-2015, 12:57 PM
Any further thoughts on the Vitriol interaction as it relates to Kallus' feat? My reading of the interaction, per the quoted text above (and I don't know that the vengeance link applies to this specific situation), is that the attacking model will suffer continuous corrosion because vitriol's criteria for not suffering that effect were not met: I.e., the attack hits the croak raider, and does not destroy or remove it from play (the feat is what removes it from play).

It will depend on when the trigger occurs, and how the ability resolves in those circumstances.

If so desired, I can start a new thread for a more exhaustive discussion.

The same applies: the model in question is removed from play by Kallus' feat, not by the attack which disabled it.