PDA

View Full Version : Scarab Pack Animus

onthedownlow
10-10-2015, 10:12 AM
Rules query!

Scuttler (Animus for Scarab Packs)

'Models in target Warbeast pack immediately dig in.'

Can I do the following?

Warbeast pack activates, issues charge order. Models B, C, D run, Model A casts Animus and all members of the unit dig in, and then charges (obviously it won't be dug in after moving but that's irrelevant). That part is easy. Interesting part; if models B, C, D are out of formation (after running), are they affected by the animus? And indeed, can I cast the animus at all?

Relevant text from the errata;

'When a models special rule or spell allows it to target or choose a unit, all models in the unit must be in formation.'

Scuttler is neither. Does this still work?

Assume all models began their activation in formation.

Thanks for your assistance.

Leonard_Dukes
10-10-2015, 10:48 AM
'Models in target Warbeast pack immediately dig in.'

Actual ability text:

Scuttler - Models in target friendly warbeast pack immediately Dig In.

Relevant text from the errata;

'When a models special rule or spell allows it to target or choose a unit, all models in the unit must be in formation.'

Actual errata text:

Hordes: Primal MkII, Spells and Effects, p72
When a model’s special rule or spell allows its controller to choose or target a friendly unit, all models in that unit must be in formation.

The end result for you is the same, but if anyone else sees this, they should know that the restriction only applies to rules/spells that targe t or choose friendly units.

Can I do the following?

Warbeast pack activates, issues charge order. Models B, C, D run, Model A casts Animus and all members of the unit dig in, and then charges (obviously it won't be dug in after moving but that's irrelevant). That part is easy. Interesting part; if models B, C, D are out of formation (after running), are they affected by the animus? And indeed, can I cast the animus at all?

No. Scuttler (and animi in general) is a special rule located on the model's card that allows it to target or choose a friendly unit. The entire unit must be in formation in order to be targeted with the animus.

onthedownlow
10-10-2015, 10:55 AM
Excellent.

For future reference, am I to assume that the term 'special rule' refers to any rules that are printed on the back of a models card? I wasn't aware that 'special rule' was a game term - although, I'm happy to admit that I'm probably wrong on that front.

Leonard_Dukes
10-10-2015, 11:23 AM
Excellent.

For future reference, am I to assume that the term 'special rule' refers to any rules that are printed on the back of a models card? I wasn't aware that 'special rule' was a game term - although, I'm happy to admit that I'm probably wrong on that front.

Honestly, it doesn't really appear to be a specific game term - I think they just use it as a blanket term to cover things like animi, feats, once-per-game abilities (so-called "mini-feats"), and anything else that happens to be on the card that doesn't have already have a catch-all term.

onthedownlow
10-10-2015, 10:48 PM
Understood. That's a shame. Although I'm more than happy to play Rules as intended, that seems like a grey area if it's not a game term.

An animus is not a Spell. It is not a 'Special Rule' (as strictly speaking, they do not exist as a defined element within the game rules). Therefore it should be able to be cast. Nevermind.

Leonard_Dukes
10-10-2015, 11:09 PM
An animus is not a Spell. It is not a 'Special Rule' (as strictly speaking, they do not exist as a defined element within the game rules). Therefore it should be able to be cast. Nevermind.

Here's the best I can do:

Hordes: Primal MkII, Special Rules, p36
Most HORDES combatants are highly specialized and trained to fill unique roles on the battlefield. To represent this, most models have special rules that take precedence over the standard rules. Depending on their use, special rules are categorized as abilities, feats, special actions, special attacks, or orders. In addition, “Warbeasts” (p. 73) and “Warlocks and Fury” (p. 75) detail many special rules common to all warlocks and warbeasts that do not appear on their stat cards or in their army list entries.

And on page 73, we find:

Hordes: Primal MkII, Warbeast Special Rules, p73
All warbeasts have the following special rules in common.

Life Spiral [...]

Fearless [...]

Animus [...]

Warbeast Melee Range [...]

[and so on]

So it looks like "special rule" might actually be a well defined term, after all, and does in fact encompass warbeast animi.

onthedownlow
10-11-2015, 02:00 AM
Huzzah! Well done sir. Please lock, as this clearly seems to have been resolved in very thorough fashion.