PDA

View Full Version : Bone Grinders + Warbeast pack animus

PyroIke
10-15-2015, 10:56 AM
The Farrow Bone Grinders' ability Bone Magic lets the leader use the animus of a destroyed warbeast. If only one member of a warbeast pack is destroyed, can the Bone Grinders cast the pack's animus? I think only the leader is supposed to have the animus, so would the leader model need to be destroyed for Bone Magic to work?

Leonard_Dukes
10-15-2015, 11:02 AM
The Farrow Bone Grinders' ability Bone Magic lets the leader use the animus of a destroyed warbeast. If only one member of a warbeast pack is destroyed, can the Bone Grinders cast the pack's animus? I think only the leader is supposed to have the animus, so would the leader model need to be destroyed for Bone Magic to work?

As long as a member of the Warbeast Pack is still in play, it will have a Unit Commander, and that is the only model that has the pack's animus*. The entire pack would need to be destroyed before the Bone Grinders would be able to use the animus.

*The only exception I can think of is if there were an effect which allowed the opponent to temporarily take control of the Unit Commander (e.g. Rampager) in which case no field promotion takes place for the duration of that effect. For that brief time, the pack would have no Unit Commander and, technically, no animus. Still, no opportunity for the Bone Grinders, though.

PyroIke
10-15-2015, 12:26 PM
So... field promotion overrules the destruction of a unit leader model?

Example:
Model A is the unit leader and has an animus.
Model B is a trooper with no animus.
Model A is destroyed, Model B is promoted to unit leader and gains an animus.
Model A no longer counts as ever having been the unit leader?

Leonard_Dukes
10-15-2015, 12:53 PM
So... field promotion overrules the destruction of a unit leader model?

Example:
Model A is the unit leader and has an animus.
Model B is a trooper with no animus.
Model A is destroyed, Model B is promoted to unit leader and gains an animus.
Model A no longer counts as ever having been the unit leader?

It doesn't matter if the destroyed model ever was the Unit Commander. If it's destroyed, and there's still another warbeast left in the lack, the destroyed model is not currently the Unit Commander.