PDA

View Full Version : Feature Request - Native Web Version

rocanegra
10-22-2015, 04:36 AM
Hi there,

I'd like to have an online War Room version, so that I could see/edit my lists in any device, and have them all on my account. This could help people to share lists and comment them, just like many other games do.

I collaborated long time ago with http://netrunnerdb.com/ and now it's an incredible tool.

Now I was making something similar for Warmachine / Hordes, but it's in alpha stage. War Room could be an app for any device, and could be more than just an app for each one, could be an community tool!

Biokinetica
10-22-2015, 06:02 AM
That'd be an entirely separate project. It'd be welcome by many, but this won't happen unless Privateer requests a new project.

Charger
10-22-2015, 07:04 AM
Even though I suspect War Room uses HTML under the hood, they'd still have to rewrite the whole shebang to get it working for standard web browsers. It's doable, but would take a ground-up development effort which would be stuck for funding. They'd need to re-sell the decks to afford to build the apps but the player community is likely to fetch their pitchforks if asked to rebuy their decks for the web version. I don't see how they could afford to, honestly.

rocanegra
10-22-2015, 07:08 AM
Even though I suspect War Room uses HTML under the hood, they'd still have to rewrite the whole shebang to get it working for standard web browsers. It's doable, but would take a ground-up development effort which would be stuck for funding. They'd need to re-sell the decks to afford to build the apps but the player community is likely to fetch their pitchforks if asked to rebuy their decks for the web version. I don't see how they could afford to, honestly.

If they do it as they should, the real work is done only once (doing a web version), and then exporting it to hybrid versions with Cordova or similar tools. I work with these tools with international apps, and it's just that easy.

cheddercaveman
10-22-2015, 07:55 AM
This has long been a feature that I think would be one of the last pieces of the puzzle for going more digital for the company. Not everyone has access to a tablet or smart phone. Not everyone can get to those at the same time. Having a web (and mobile web) piece definitely helps bridge that gap. I know I'd be more likely to check some things on my laptop than I would be to check on my tablet or phone, especially depending on where I am at the given time.

I don't know if Lane will comment on this, but from looking at it I would presume that they actually don't use any HTML whatsoever.

TinkerLane
10-22-2015, 08:33 AM
If you guys want to see War Room on other platforms besides devices (or other devices) then definitely ask for it here and get community support like you are with all other feature requests. As stated in the original feature request kick off thread, that lets us have the right conversations with the right user data.

And... for a little insight into both the history and construction of the app, War Room is built in Unity. There are a few significant reasons why.

- War Room was begun 5 years ago now, which was before web-style dev to multiple platforms as published apps was anywhere near a viable production method. That meant to target devices we wanted to go with something that had a proven production through-line to them. In particular a proven production through-line where we could develop once and deploy to all of them.

- War Room was also created by a game studio that knows game engines and game UX, not a web dev studio. They're very different beasts with very different production approaches. Additionally, the type of multiplayer we want for War Room is simply better supported in an engine like Unity. And while you can argue there may have been better ways to build it, the best way to build anything is the way you know. I know that sounds overly simplistic, but the truth is this works this way at every level of software development. There is always a better way to build something, we learn and discover that as professional devs all the time. The War Room we've built now is going to be better than the one we built 5 years ago because we've learned more about what the product needs to be, development tools and environments are better, but also because we've learned more as developers (anecdotally, that's with developers that started this project with at least 15 years of pro development under their belt).

And while we're saying that War Room was rebuilt from the ground up for this revision, a more accurate description would be, "the War Room user experience was rebuilt from the ground up". Much of the underlying functionality remains the same because there was no need to recreate it. Moving it to one of these new development platforms would involve a significantly higher dev cost and schedule. It just wasn't justified.

So, it's very easy to come in here and say "It should have been built / be built using <insert method blah>". It's very easy to say that about any project from outside of it. Real world production demands and progress very rarely allow anything original to be done optimally. That's just the honest truth.

Charger
10-22-2015, 08:41 AM
Multiplayer?

the type of multiplayer we want for War Room is simply better supported in an engine like Unity

Are you referring to list sharing or did we just get the mother of all leaks?

cheddercaveman
10-22-2015, 08:45 AM
I did just find this little nugget doing some searching, not perhaps as ideal as building just a typical web application, but perhaps something that could be looked into in the future? https://unity3d.com/webplayer

Thanks for the direct insight into the development decisions too, definitely can see where you guys were coming from with things.

TinkerLane
10-22-2015, 08:50 AM
Multiplayer?

Are you referring to list sharing or did we just get the mother of all leaks?

War Room "supports" multiplayer right now (from the Fight screen select Host or Join). I put that in quotation marks because the system that's there right now is not stable anymore, OS changes have made the original implementation pretty spotty. So, multiplayer will work in new War Room as well. We're determining what shape that will take right now.

TinkerLane
10-22-2015, 08:57 AM
I did just find this little nugget doing some searching, not perhaps as ideal as building just a typical web application, but perhaps something that could be looked into in the future? https://unity3d.com/webplayer

Thanks for the direct insight into the development decisions too, definitely can see where you guys were coming from with things.

Yeah, that's a possibility and THG has done some thinking on that. There are some challenges though (aren't there always?), foremost that War Room as designed expects to have access to the local disk for saving some types of data and that's not possible from the web player client. A totally solvable problem, just not trivial per se.

rocanegra
10-22-2015, 10:55 PM
Thanks for your answers, I really appreciate them. Knowing all of that background, I think it'll be not possible to do what I requested, but as you say, maybe it'll open a different issue, maybe in the future we'll have something like I'd love to have. In the meantime, I'll continue with my development, if you want to take a look at my alpha: http://kovnik.firebaseapp.com

Thanks!