PDA

View Full Version : Steamroller Multi-list Character Validation

TinkerLane
10-29-2015, 04:04 PM
When creating Steamroller lists that validate character choices among them, lists must be flagged as Steamroller and share an Army Tag.

To create Steamroller lists that support proper multi-list character restrictions you must:

Create a list that has Steamroller support flagged on.
Create an Army Tag for that list.
For additional lists, create them with Steamroller support flagged on AND with the same Army Tag.

We're interested in how players think we could communicate this clearly in the app.

Lanz
10-29-2015, 04:15 PM
Add a linking system so you can freely pair up two lists. That way players can take lists they already use, pair them up, and immediately see if there are any conflicts. Mark conflicting characters with red text.

It can work by just having a link section in the base army settings (where you choose name and point level) and you just select another list you have saved and link it with your current list. Allow it to be saved as a new file and include a little icon next to the name in the list menu to denote lists that are linked with others so you don't unknowingly delete them.

Akspud
10-29-2015, 06:47 PM
Haven't tested that part yet because it's a bit of a pain with the bug about not returning to the army select screen, but the tag system should allow that since you are able to tag after the fact, just need to creat a new unique tag for each tournament.

Edit: following the directions, I named a tag for both lists named "steamroller" and added Gorman di wulf, to the first list, and when I made a second with the same tag and steamroller active, I didn't see anything redded out, neither the warcaster or Gorman.

Sycak
10-29-2015, 09:21 PM
It seems to mark it as a duplicate after you add it to the list, at least it did for me.

My complaint though is that if I have a Haley3 list it marks the second list Haley 1 selection as duplicate.

LunarSol
10-30-2015, 07:26 AM
Would it be possible to do this slightly differently? Rather than make it an option for the list, could it be an option for the Tag? For example, I make a new Tag for "WMW LCQ List" and there's a checkbox beside it I can check to make lists with that tag validated for characters? I can see that complicated query performance a bit depending on how you have it structured, but it would be nice if not every tag I make triggers this. For example, the 3 tags I created right away were "Favorite", "Steamroller", "Dojo". Of these, I only want validation on the "Steamroller" tagged lists. I can sort of accomplish this by altering the validation tag per list, but its not as smooth as it could be.

TinkerLane
10-30-2015, 09:05 AM
It seems to mark it as a duplicate after you add it to the list, at least it did for me.

My complaint though is that if I have a Haley3 list it marks the second list Haley 1 selection as duplicate.

I'll get to the other suggestions in this thread later.

But isn't what you describe here working correctly? I thought normal character restrictions applied across steamroller lists, so you could never have more than one iteration of Haley in any of your linked lists for example. I'm not saying here, I'm asking.

jmsetzer
10-30-2015, 09:18 AM
No, standard and epics don't count as being the same. You should be able to have prime and epics as casters in each list. Quoting from the Steamroller doc: "The original and epic incarnation(s) of a character do notcount as the same version of a model. "

LunarSol
10-30-2015, 09:53 AM
Right, so for example, I can't have a list with Sorscha1 that contains both Eiryss1 and Eiryss2, but if Eiryss1 is in my Sorscha2 list, I can put Eiryss2 in my Sorscha1 list and have them as a pair.

niceas
10-30-2015, 09:58 AM
I'll get to the other suggestions in this thread later.

But isn't what you describe here working correctly? I thought normal character restrictions applied across steamroller lists, so you could never have more than one iteration of Haley in any of your linked lists for example. I'm not saying here, I'm asking.

Hi Lane -

You cannot have duplicates of the same character within the same list (i.e. you can't have Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios and Eiryss, Angel of the Retribution in the same list). You can, however, have different iterations of the same character in your other lists in a steam roller pairing with Character Restrictions active. So for example, list 1 could have Captain Victoria Haley as the warcaster, and list 2 could have Major Victoria Haley as the warcaster (and if you were playing in a 3 list format, list 3 could have Major Prime Victoria Haley). What you can't do, however, is have two lists that both have Major Victoria Haley in them under standard Character Restrictions.

So what you're looking at are two different restrictions: No characters with the same name in a particular list, and no duplicate characters in multiple lists for the same event.

TinkerLane
10-30-2015, 10:10 AM
Yeah, I clarified with Hungerford and he's got us straightened out. It's currently applying the character alternate restrictions for a single list (no Haley1 and Haley2 for example) to all linked lists. It will be changed to only restrict exact duplicates.

Neomorte
10-30-2015, 11:50 AM
My question is can checking the Steamroller box force a Tag creation? Even if it is a date/time stamp by default.

skittles
10-30-2015, 12:05 PM
Does multi-list validation work for 3 list pairing as well as 2 list parings?

LunarSol
10-30-2015, 12:37 PM
Haven't tested but I assume it validates across every list that shares a tag.

Later I'll try testing:
Butcher3 - sr1, sr2
Sorcha2 - sr1
Vlad1 - sr2

In theory characters in the b3 list shouldn't be allowed in either other but characters in the sorcha list should be available to vlad.

By the same token this means you probably need to be careful about cross faction tags. If I gave borkas family reunion the sr1 tag I suspect boomhowler will not be valid with b3.

Akspud
10-30-2015, 02:14 PM
I got the character validation to work within faction, with the limitations known above, but it still doesn't seem to apply to mercenary characters, for example I got the character duplicate flag adding barathrum to a pair of cryx lists, but it doesn't come up with gorman di Wulfe, Gregore boomhowler and co, or Orin midwinter, so that's an issue.

minust
10-31-2015, 03:58 AM
I'm not having this work at all with Circle models on iOS - I have two lists tagged as B&O2015, both with Steamroller enabled, and I can add The Lord of the Feast, Wolf Lord Morraig and/or Ghetorix to both lists without it letting me know they're duplicated.

I'll go and test with some other factions to make sure I'm doing it right...

minust
10-31-2015, 04:04 AM
Yeah, I got it working with a few Cryx characters (Aiakos worked fine, but Nightmare, Deathjack, Bloody Braddigan and Croe's Cutthroats didn't).

Incidentally, is it possible to delete tags?
i couldn't find a way, if you can...

TinkerLane
10-31-2015, 10:27 AM
Yeah, I got it working with a few Cryx characters (Aiakos worked fine, but Nightmare, Deathjack, Bloody Braddigan and Croe's Cutthroats didn't).

Incidentally, is it possible to delete tags?
i couldn't find a way, if you can...

First, to delete tags right now you just remove them from all armies. As currently designed the tag goes away when not being used.

SECOND, we are doing two things wrong right now which will be fixed in an upcoming build. We are not checking for the same character explicitly between multiple lists. We are checking for character alts. Character alts meaning Haley2 and Haley3. So the first is an oversight, and the second is a mistake, and both will be fixed soon.

minust
10-31-2015, 03:07 PM
Ok, good to know - sorry for re-treading old ground!

Nazghallion
11-07-2015, 03:56 AM
Is it possible to make sure that it doesn't flag up across factions? I use the same tag for all my 50 point lists for sharing with my local club easily and the cross faction flag up is jarring. Currently there is no way to take multiple factions in the official SR format.

Mod_Neldar
11-07-2015, 04:00 AM
Is it possible to make sure that it doesn't flag up across factions? I use the same tag for all my 50 point lists for sharing with my local club easily and the cross faction flag up is jarring. Currently there is no way to take multiple factions in the official SR format.

You can have multiple tags on an army. Have you tried creating another tag to make the pairs unique from each other? Like a "Cryx SR" tag only on your two Cryx SR lists?

SirMythos
04-08-2016, 04:20 AM
If you tag a sr-list with a tag, that you would not use for validation, the app would still use the tag for validation.
Like if you tag all your lists of a special caster with a tag of its name.

Could you create a possibility to choose, if a tag is user for validation or not?