PDA

View Full Version : Usability walkthrough of the new app

w0rmw00d
10-29-2015, 08:54 PM
Hey Tinker House crew!

I spent some time doing just a short usability walk through and found some issues that I thought I would mention here, (FYI- this is what I do for a living). My walk through was done on the iPad Mini. Some of the items I'll note may have been mentioned already by someone else, but that's not a bad thing; it just means that issue is probably more obvious.

None of this is meant to be a criticism of anyone's design skill or anything like that. This is just feedback to help try to make the experience better. I do understand that there are technical and other limitations, so I don't expect everything, (or anything), I bring up here to get addressed. I haven't gotten into the guts of the army builder experience yet, but on the main menu and card navigation experiences I've seen a few areas that could be looked at:

Login menu
No I-bar visible in the primary login/password areas. Until I start typing I have no idea when section I'm in.
If login fails, I’m told to visit a website and then kicked out of the login screen. Ideally it should keep the login open so I can elect to recover my ID or PW.
May want to have a "visible PW" option.

Settings
Changing a setting and then pressing “Accept” appears to not do anything. There's no confirmation.
There is no Cancel button. If I tap Settings by accident I have no clear exit if I don't want to change anything. While you can tap outside the menu to exit this is not an obvious exit action, (and can lead to accidental closes when someone does want to change a setting).
Descriptive text color choice in Settings is difficult to read.

Navigation placement
Nonstandard format: actions/navigations save for the primary two are at the bottom of the screen. I can’t say it’s an issue without testing, but it's probably not ideal placement.
Icons are small for being on a tablet.

Hamburger menu and it's contents
Contents change based on context- when card menu is opened there are different items in the bottom one and a second hamburger icon in the card menu, when book is opened the bottom menu disappears entirely.
Hamburger icon in card and book sections is used for search history. I'd consider making that part of the input, (showing last N searches in under the search bar when selected).
Login should be exposed and not in a menu. This app requires an account to be useful, (in my experience anyway), so logging in should be one of the first actions a user can take after launching it.

Login/PW recovery
Bug: Email address field treated as a PW field.
Bug: Request for new PW does not validate ID and/or email info. I put in a bad ID but was able to change my password.

Cards section
No content shows up when first opened, which feels weird. How am I supposed to know what I have, if anything? Example- I just bought the Everblight card pack. I go to check out the cards before building an army by opening the card menu and I see nothing. Did the purchase work? Do I have access to my content?
Merging Down arrow icon is a bit obtuse for representing filters, (I kept selecting Menu because I assumed that's where those controls would be).
Card hotspots are not obvious. While you have a tutorial that explains you can tap on card sections for additional details, it's not clear what is selectable.
When a hotspot is activated it's not clear what rule, if any, applies to the area. This becomes more confusing when I tap a card icon, such as Tough, as Tough should be the only rule to come up, (ideally if it's just one rule it should expose the rule instead of needing to tap the rule to see it).
New icons appear on the bottom menu bar for certain cards. Due to bottom menu placement + icon size this makes them difficult to notice.

I've noticed a lot of new icons have been added to app beta. You may want to test out the icons of people and see if, given the context, players/users know what they represent. Icons are not as easy to design for as most people think, (Google spent MONTHS testing various icons for Sharing before it went with the one it chose). If you have already done this, or any other user research/testing and have received different feedback feel free to disregard. If not and you want more info I'm happy to keep digging/testing/doing walk throughs, (possibly do some tests at a local game store, though my time is limited so this is VERY iffy), and let you know what I find. Again, not trying to offend or upset anyone. Hope this info helps!

sepher32
10-30-2015, 02:24 AM
This is all feedback I would agree with.

Mod_Neldar
10-30-2015, 02:34 AM
The settings menu is broken except for the backgrounds. It will probably be removed in the next update.

I like the rest of this.

netdragon
10-30-2015, 02:46 AM
Great comments (better than mine).

I know that the app has to look "professional", and that means getting all the awesome PP artwork, but this is supposed to be an app to use even in tournaments, so ergonomics/usability should be a key element in its design.

warder808
10-30-2015, 06:10 AM
I'm writing to agree 100% with the original poster.

All of these new buttons/features are not helped with the size. They should be way larger, I thought the reason for having a tablet was to take advantage of all the extra screen real estate?

Akspud
10-30-2015, 06:27 AM
They mentioned the button size in a different thread, and they said the root of the problem is the variety of tablet screens, because on smaller tablets and phones they take up an odd amount of real estate.

netdragon
10-30-2015, 06:34 AM
Then how other apps do it? there has to be a solution. Scalable buttons?

LunarSol
10-30-2015, 07:43 AM
The settings menu is broken except for the backgrounds. It will probably be removed in the next update.

I like the rest of this.

I wondered how I was able to have both Lite and Default UI selected. :)

w0rmw00d
10-30-2015, 08:47 AM
Wow, glad to see such positive responses! I'll be working through other parts of the app later today and put up a new thread with those results. If there are any areas of interest people want me to pay attention to I'm happy to do so!

TinkerLane
10-30-2015, 08:49 AM
A) Thrilled to have a usability person giving feedback. So thanks.

B) We'll be working on many if not all of the things you've mentioned. One of the goals of this beta is broader usability testing so we're definitely open to change here.

Keep the thoughts coming, we'll be incorporating these into the dev roadmap as we move forward.

Legacy40k
10-30-2015, 10:15 AM
Nice to see I'm not the only one with UI/UX experience here! I'm a graphic designer by trade.. most of my work is print but I do a bit of UI/UX testing on the side as well.

I agree.. having the options menu at the top is more "standard". usually the gear is top right corner... and consistency helps with UX (User Experience)

TinkerLane
10-30-2015, 10:50 AM
We chose to go with footer instead of header for the menu bar because your hands tend to rest lower on the screen with device use. It's definitely a switch but it's been pretty universally like by the people that tested pre-beta. Obviously we'll track what folks think here too, but that was the reasoning.

LunarSol
10-30-2015, 10:56 AM
Personally I'm a big fan of right hand navigation. I'd be quite happy to see everything as a column of icons against the right side of the screen.

cheddercaveman
10-30-2015, 11:04 AM
Definitely have some UI/UX thoughts on the app as well. I work primarily as an iOS developer (Native though, not Unity) so I have a lot of thoughts on much of the app. If I have time next week I may kidnap some of our designers at work over lunch and see if they have thoughts too and share any of those that come to mind.

I'm hoping to post something more thorough, though at first glance I'm agreeing with a lot of what's in this thread.

w0rmw00d
10-30-2015, 01:42 PM
Great to see a lot of people wanting to talk about UX! Just to throw something out there before we all start running to show our designer/developer friends this app to get feedback: they are not the user, (unless of course they're fans of Warmachine/Hordes, and even then, they probably have a bias). Bias can play a huge role in what is determined to be an issue as we can fall back on standard conventions without trying alternatives that may benefit the target user, (it's often why UX Research is separate from UX/UI Design- designers have a bias when trying to talk to or study users because, well, they made the thing being studied). Example: I was careful to say that the bottom placement of the nav is not a bad thing because honestly, I don't know. It breaks convention, but without actual testing/feedback showing this is a problem no one can objectively say it is. We'd need user observations/testing to do that.

To go into how I arrived at the above list I performed a heuristic walk through. These are the standards I used to check against for each element: http://www.nngroup.com/articles/ten-usability-heuristics/ It's a list of general, non-app/platform/device specific usability heuristics created by the Nielson-Norman Group, (big BIG name in UX for those curious). To give an example- Consistency and Standards is one heuristic that gets broken through the hamburger menu, which I noted is inconsistent in it's function. Just wanted to temper expectations and shed more light on what I did to come up with these findings, hopefully that didn't come off as bullish or anything.

cyroMAX
10-30-2015, 02:28 PM
PG_LunarSol - I'm left handed and very much not a fan of right hand navigation as this puts all the options on the far side of the screen from my primary hand, which makes the app awkward to use. A very few apps actually come with a left hand tick box in options and settings which then adjust things and I am awfully appreciative of this. Just a comment I thought to throw out there.

TinkerLane
10-30-2015, 02:35 PM
PG_LunarSol - I'm left handed and very much not a fan of right hand navigation as this puts all the options on the far side of the screen from my primary hand, which makes the app awkward to use. A very few apps actually come with a left hand tick box in options and settings which then adjust things and I am awfully appreciative of this. Just a comment I thought to throw out there.

I'll make this a project at some point for sure. Can't leave you lefty's behind.

Rork
10-30-2015, 02:46 PM
Yeah! Let's bring bring us lefties into the development process!

TinkerLane
10-30-2015, 04:39 PM
Please go weigh in here:
https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?240465-UI-Size-Examples-Please-Download