PDA

View Full Version : Counter Charge and Movement

sterling319
11-29-2015, 08:59 PM
If a model changes facing but does not advance does it trigger counter charge?

Grey Templar
11-29-2015, 09:03 PM
Changing facing is something you do as part of an advance. So you actually advanced 0" and changed facing. If you do not advance, you cannot change your facing(though some other types of movement, like placement, can alter your facing but thats irrelevant here)

This will trigger Counter Charge(I assume Shield Guard was a mistake)

sterling319
11-29-2015, 09:09 PM
It was. Thank you. Further clarification, if a model does not change facing and does not move but the player does not forfeit movement, does it trigger counter charge?

Grey Templar
11-29-2015, 09:12 PM
Unless you explicitly forfeit your movement you will count as advancing 0" and ending your normal movement.

DarkLegacy
11-30-2015, 09:24 AM
Unless you explicitly forfeit your movement you will count as advancing 0" and ending your normal movement.
Technically the rules don't state this, however, the Judge document does. The rules don't have a default condition for not declaring forfeiture and not advancing.

sterling319
12-01-2015, 01:04 AM
In a casual game, I would point it out to my opponent and allow him to forfeit. In a tournament game, I would feel really dirty using this to get a counter-charge, as it seems like a "gotcha" ability in an open information game. The problem is that counter-charge is very much a "gotcha" kind of rule in this game. If you point it out, its purpose is oftimes defeated. So you either use a "gotcha" style move, or you lose a large part of the value of a model.

Wendan
12-01-2015, 04:18 AM
Not that this really goes in the rules section, but you don't have to think of it as a gotcha rule. If you position your counter charge model carefully, it can force your opponent into a choice where they risk sacrificing something.

Aerospider
12-01-2015, 04:39 AM
Presumably you can't voluntarily sacrifice movement (or action) for no reason...? Like, you have to be knocked down or something, right?

The Captain
12-01-2015, 05:12 AM
Presumably you can't voluntarily sacrifice movement (or action) for no reason...? Like, you have to be knocked down or something, right?

You are allowed to forfeit movement to aim, even if you don't have a ranged weapon.