PDA

View Full Version : Adjacent and within and outside control area

Queaux
12-08-2015, 10:41 AM
Can a model placed adjacent to a control area be specified within that area then during an advance be specified to be outside the control area without actually touching the model?

Edit: By adjacent, I mean exactly at the edge of a control area.

Grey Templar
12-08-2015, 10:44 AM
You would have to advance some amount to be outside the control area if you were previously declared to be within. So you would have to physically move the model.

lord17c
12-08-2015, 10:52 AM
yea, you'd have to either be in or out of a control area.

Leonard_Dukes
12-08-2015, 10:55 AM
When measuring between two models, if the distance between them is exactly X", then they are within X" of each other.

In your case, one model or the other must actually move a non-zero distance in order to change the relative positions such that the two models are no longer within X" of each other.

Yes, Molik Karn actually has to move.

LEJ
12-08-2015, 11:43 AM
I think the idea of declaring intent is being mistaken here.
You don't use intent to change things or do the impossible. You declare your intent for the model (In this case its position) and then attempt to meet that intent. If the intent is not possible (Perhaps terrain is in the way or the models are too big) then you have declared where the model is and assuming its legal that would be where its considered to be.

The idea of declaring intent is not there to change the game state or to justify sloppy play; its to help where things become difficult in reality, but still possible in rules terms or simply to clarify in case of accidental movement or whatever.

So for example "There IFPs can't be placed in B2B because of the models but my intent is that they all benefit from Shieldwall" is fine
"This model that we established to be within X inches is now >X inches" is not, you would have to move the model.

Queaux
12-08-2015, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense to me.