PDA

View Full Version : Partial Proxy Bases

Queaux
12-09-2015, 02:56 PM
If I created a proxy base that separated into 2 pieces where one piece could be used to slide next to a base on the table such that when the model on the table was lifted, the rest of the proxy base could be put in place to have the whole proxy base, could I use the small part of the 2 part proxy base to act as a proxy base until the overlapping model was removed?

The proxy base would look like a sliver moon and a gibbous moon that fit together. This would be used to proxy base a model that is only moving a little, so a regular proxy base would overlap. The front arc would be marked on both proxy bases.

xenwall
12-09-2015, 03:17 PM
This is REALLY starting to get out of hand and is extremely ridiculous. You don't need a proxy base for a half inch move! Why are you SO insistent on trying to game the system?! What is soooooooo bad about measuring, picking up your model, moving it, measuring, picking up your model, moving it? The answer is nothing because that is what is legally required by the rules. (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?242344-Molik-Karn-moving-in-and-out-of-control-mechanics&p=3352787&viewfull=1#post3352787)

To answer: 1) There is NOTHING in the rule book pertaining to proxy bases. You will NOT find rules about it.
2) This is clearly a matter of sportsmanship to be discussed with your opponent and if you are at a tournament, with the T.O./Judge.
3) Your previous thread is sufficient for answering this question, ludicrous though it may be. Conclude your discussion with DarkLegacy and be done with it.

juckto
12-09-2015, 03:35 PM
Look at the name of this subforum. Please rephrase your question so that is a question about "WARMACHINE & HORDES Rules".

And stop wasting everyone's time.

Queaux
12-09-2015, 03:37 PM
Look at the name of this subforum. Please rephrase your question so that is a question about "WARMACHINE & HORDES Rules".

And stop wasting everyone's time.

Clarifications of the judge document are also made in this forum.

LEJ
12-09-2015, 03:45 PM
No .

LEJ
12-09-2015, 03:48 PM
I don't know what this current obsession is but I should be official here so:

You cannot use odd shaped proxy bases for a variety of reasons, the judge document allows for Proxy Bases but they must be the correct size and shape of the base being represented. They must also have LOS Markings (Actually, did we put that in yet? They should anyway).

niceas
12-09-2015, 03:58 PM
As well, please note that the judge document, on page 3, explicitly states that you must replace the proxy base with the actual model.

Queaux
12-09-2015, 05:15 PM
I don't know what this current obsession is but I should be official here so:

You cannot use odd shaped proxy bases for a variety of reasons, the judge document allows for Proxy Bases but they must be the correct size and shape of the base being represented. They must also have LOS Markings (Actually, did we put that in yet? They should anyway).

To clarify, I am suggesting a full proxy base with arc marking. The only difference for my proxy base would be that it comes in 2 parts so that a proxy base could be used to represent a movement less than the width of the base. This could be used for a full 1 inch move for beatback. This could also be used to trace your way around a model when advancing.

The key thing is that what I am proposing contains all of the information needed to construct an accurate game state while allowing an extra degree of precision due to the use of proxy bases; it's good for the game.

Tesoe
12-09-2015, 05:57 PM
If you want to measure 1 inch precisely, just use a 1 inch wide acrylic measuring tool. That'd be the easiest thing. Some companies, like Warsenal, even make tools specifically for 1 inch movements.

ScottMcd
12-09-2015, 06:05 PM
To clarify, I am suggesting a full proxy base with arc marking. The only difference for my proxy base would be that it comes in 2 parts so that a proxy base could be used to represent a movement less than the width of the base. This could be used for a full 1 inch move for beatback. This could also be used to trace your way around a model when advancing.

The key thing is that what I am proposing contains all of the information needed to construct an accurate game state while allowing an extra degree of precision due to the use of proxy bases; it's good for the game.

Answers have been given in multiple threads. Now your just trolling.

Queaux
12-09-2015, 06:11 PM
If you want to measure 1 inch precisely, just use a 1 inch wide acrylic measuring tool. That'd be the easiest thing. Some companies, like Warsenal, even make tools specifically for 1 inch movements.

I've used those before, and they aren't nearly as easy to use as what I'm suggesting; it's hard to tell if you will bump another model without actually moving your model. It's actually pretty hard to get an accurate measurement when moving one model in a circle around another model. Having a partial proxy base would make that movement cleaner.

LEJ
12-09-2015, 06:28 PM
It's actually pretty hard to get an accurate measurement when moving one model in a circle around another model.

This will never matter as all movement should be done in several discrete linear movements. This is more of a rules issue though so I will leave that to my purple colleagues.

Answers on the Judge document given by myself and Niceas in this thread and on both the Judge document and Rules by DarkLegacy in the other are sufficient and correct.

At this point I am beginning to question your motives as to these queries.

Leo_the_Rat
12-09-2015, 06:37 PM
So you're suggesting that using a fixed measuring object is harder than using "free hand" movement. Then asking for permission to pull off a very delicate manuveur based on preceise measurments by basically handwaving the whole issue. I don't think that would fly for many/any tactics on a tournement table. In fact, I bet that, most people would make you measure out the manuveur regardless of which model(s) were in play.
Unless you, yourself, are willing to hand wave important movements and placements of your opponents models then you should not be asking for the same favor yourself.
For instance, if I say that since you started at your 13" deployment line and you moved forward 12" and I started exactly opposite you on my 16" (your 32") line I should be allowed to just place my speed 4 model in b2b with your model since I can move to slam 7". Mathamatically everything is sound but in real life everything would have to be preceisely done for this to occur and most people would make you measure my move just to make sure that everything was placed/moved exactly as stated.

Mod_Faultie
12-09-2015, 06:50 PM
Question answered in the negative. Thread over.

As a note: whereas yesterday this was accurate:

I don't have a rulebook, so I'm not sure how measurements are specified. [...] I'll get to a rulebook and contribute as soon as I can.
I would recommend sticking with this prior plan of action before positing additional questions in the Rules Forum.
If you have, to this point, acquired a rulebook, I might suggest that more reading is in order.