PDA

View Full Version : out of activation movements and command checks

doublecheeze
12-10-2015, 03:14 AM
Just want to double check,

Lets say anastasia gets an espionage off, and I get to move my boomhowler unit now. Espionage reads models/unit can move and make a normal attack. So if moving the first boomhowler would put me into melee with a terror causing model do I

A. Perform the command check then and if I fail I can no longer advance

B. Move the rest of the unit then perform the command check.

Since I am out of activation I am assuming I would not get to rally immediately if I broke. Thanks

dhow tocor
12-10-2015, 05:01 AM
It is B, move the whole unit first, then check. And you Rally at the end of your activation, so no Rally here.

Leo_the_Rat
12-10-2015, 05:01 AM
Units always move as a whole. You move all the models and then check. The same thing happens when you move a model that causes a command check. You finish moving the model and then you check all the models that it moved by.

Trollock
12-10-2015, 05:07 AM
never mind my remark ;)

vintersbastard
12-10-2015, 10:08 AM
Units always move as a whole. You move all the models and then check. The same thing happens when you move a model that causes a command check. You finish moving the model and then you check all the models that it moved by.That's actually only true during normal movement - every other time, you check once the effect that caused the encounter is resolved (cf. Prime, p. 85).
That raises the interesting question as to when the effect in question (i.e. Espionage) is resolved - wouldn't that be only after all affected models have moved and made their attacks?

solkan
12-10-2015, 02:43 PM
Hmm.

Make command checks due to proximity with terrifying entities during a model’s or unit’s normal movement when the model or unit ends its normal movement. If a model or unit encounters a terrifying entity at some other time, such as when an enemy model gains the Terror ability or a terrifying entity is placed near the model or unit, make the command check immediately after resolving the attack or effect that caused the encounter.
followed by an example with a place effect stating that the terror check happens after the placement is resolved.

If Thagrosh used Mutagenesis to place himself into the melee range of a Kriel Warrior, make the command check after the placement is resolved.
Edit: It's probably worth noting that Metagenesis is an offensive spell that causes damage and has the placement as a result of "When Mutagenesis boxes an enemy model and this model was the spell's point of origin, this model can replace the boxed model when it is removed from play."

So a terrifying encounter during a Vengeance move-and-attack sequence should follow the same standard. I would have sworn that would have come up before, but I haven't found it in the search results yet...

joedj
12-11-2015, 10:19 AM
Resolve Espionage move/attack effect in it's entirety first, eliminate the model(s) that might cause the Terror check? Nice, if true.
And would this be true also of Vengeance-ing DG Sentinels (or any other non-Fearless models w/ Vengeance)?

solkan
12-11-2015, 12:06 PM
Resolve Espionage move/attack effect in it's entirety first, eliminate the model(s) that might cause the Terror check? Nice, if true.
And would this be true also of Vengeance-ing DG Sentinels (or any other non-Fearless models w/ Vengeance)?

That's my point--it's going to work the same for Vengeance and Espionage. Since Vengeance comes up a lot more often, I would have thought there would have been a discussion about it before.

doublecheeze
12-13-2015, 12:06 AM
So, for espionage I would resolve attacks before I make a command check????

solkan
12-13-2015, 12:40 AM
So, for espionage I would resolve attacks before I make a command check????

If an out-of-activation charge caused a terrifying encounter (whether the counter charge was terrifying, the charge just happened to go past a terrifying model, or the model charged was terrifying) the whole charge (the movement and then the attack) is the effect. So the terror check would take place after that. Apparently the same holds for espionage and vengeance.

Among other things, it means that the models could fail a terror check caused by a model that's no longer on the table. The encounter still occurred so the command check vs. fleeing is still required.

By extension, that means that for things like Seduction (single model moving then attacking), the controlled model moves, makes its attack, and then terror checks happen. No inconvenient terror check in the middle of the effect to make people wonder what happens. :)

Fortnby
12-13-2015, 03:34 AM
How about Cavalry units doing Ride By...first one moves within 3" of an Abomination. When do you make the check? After all the unit has completed their ride by or when the first model does?

ScottMcd
12-13-2015, 05:47 AM
https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?177933-Terror-and-Ride-by-Attacks-Test-or-no&highlight=Ride+terror

It would be made when the unit finishes its normal movement.