PDA

View Full Version : Ride-By Attacks With No Combat Action?

Kazarak
12-10-2015, 06:30 PM
The title says it all: can a cavalry model declare a Ride-By Attack, start moving, stop its movement to cast spells, choose not to perform a Combat Action, and then continue its movement?

Page 62
The model makes a full advance and can halt its movement at any point to make a combat action. [...] After it ends its combat action, the model resumes its movement. [...] A cavalry [model] making a ride-by attack must complete both its movement and its combat action before the next model begins its normal movement.

This seems like a paradox situation to me: the movement was stopped to perform an action, but no action was taken, so the movement couldn't stop, so no spells could have been cast... and the model couldn't resume its movement until it completed its action anyway!

But I'm new to Warmachine, so I'm probably wrong. Thanks in advance!

Stormpuppy_Infantry
12-10-2015, 06:42 PM
A cavalry model can combine its normal movement and action in a ride-by attack.

It seems that the model cannot make ride by attack if it does not has the action.

Edit: I was misread your question. It wasn't the question about the model that was forfeit its action.

The model must choose to make the combat action if it makes ride by attack. It does not means that the model have to attack something though.

IceShadow
12-10-2015, 06:52 PM
You always will get an action during your turn unless you have to sacrifice for some reason. As stated, you don't need to make attacks, however.

Kazarak
12-10-2015, 08:52 PM
So the model has to make a Combat Action during a Ride-By Attack; but you can choose to have the model do nothing during that action? Seems odd, but works for me.

Leonard_Dukes
12-10-2015, 10:00 PM
So the model has to make a Combat Action during a Ride-By Attack; but you can choose to have the model do nothing during that action? Seems odd, but works for me.

Yes, just as a model can normally make its movement but not advance, followed by choosing a Combat Action, but not attacking.

Kazarak
12-11-2015, 04:28 AM
Yes, just as a model can normally make its movement but not advance, followed by choosing a Combat Action, but not attacking.

I guess that does follow a similar pattern to "skipping" your movement; as that still counts as a 0" advance. "Skipping" your action - combat or otherwise - still counts as an action, you just choose not to do anything.

Page 28, first bullet:
A model can make one normal attack with each of its melee weapons.

"Can" implies optional. I missed that word before.

NuxTakeTheWheel
12-11-2015, 06:06 AM
Not that is matters, but couldn't you also just choose to make a melee attack against some enemy model before you cast a spell? Obviously you will be out of range, but you can still make the attack, and its not a charge, so by my understanding you don't immediately end your activation for not being in range. I could be wrong though.

Stormpuppy_Infantry
12-11-2015, 06:23 AM
Not that is matters, but couldn't you also just choose to make a melee attack against some enemy model before you cast a spell? Obviously you will be out of range, but you can still make the attack, and its not a charge, so by my understanding you don't immediately end your activation for not being in range. I could be wrong though.

Not really. If a model does not have any model in its melee range that has line of sight toward it, that model cannot declare any melee attacks unless the attack does not requires to target. Unlike ranged attacks, models out of its melee range is not the eligible target of the melee attack.

Also having no eligible model to attack does not ends the model's combat action immediately. You are free to choose end the combat action when you want.

lobachevskii
12-11-2015, 06:29 AM

I believe the following:

A model can make melee attacks against any model in its melee range that is in its line of sight.

prevents declaring melee attacks against a model that is not within melee range of the attacking model. In particular, legal targets for melee attacks are more restrictively defined than legal targets for ranged or magic attacks. I was not able to find a clear cut ruling on this however, most threads touch only tangentially on the subject e.g. here (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?53959-Charging-with-attacks-of-different-qualities).