PDA

View Full Version : casting while charging

Iron Horse
05-30-2010, 01:40 AM
To me this does not seem legal...A warcaster,warlock charging. While during the charge, after moving, but before attack can he/she cast a spell? I think no. Am I right?

ResurrectioN
05-30-2010, 01:41 AM
It is legal in MK2.
You can even pop feats and use other abilities.

Lanz
05-30-2010, 01:45 AM
If a warlock/warcaster performs a charge the charge is considered successful if they finish the movement with their target within melee range. After charging, the rule is that your next combat action after charging must be an attack against your target. Warcasters/warlocks, however, can cast spells and pop feats at any point during their turn except while performing other actions. So after performing the charge movement(move action), they can cast any number of spells they want, or pop feats, then begin their combat action, which will begin with a charge attack.

Short answer? Yes, warlock/warcasters can cast spells between charging and making their charge attack.

Iron Horse
05-30-2010, 01:53 AM
Not the answer I was hoping for, but thank you! And I think I can use it to my advantage...ie eStryker!

evil_bill
05-31-2010, 12:21 PM
Or worse, eCaine...

Weaselcreature
05-31-2010, 01:16 PM
After charging, the rule is that your next combat action after charging must be an attack against your target.
As long as your charge target is still in your melee range, yes. If your charge target is no longer in your melee range due to a spell you just cast (offensive that killed it or something that teleported you away), you may make your initial attacks against another eligible target.

brotherscott
05-31-2010, 02:32 PM
Further clarification- for a charge to be successful the target must be in the attacking model's melee range at the end of its movement.

Splurk
05-31-2010, 04:49 PM
As long as your charge target is still in your melee range, yes. If your charge target is no longer in your melee range due to a spell you just cast (offensive that killed it or something that teleported you away), you may make your initial attacks against another eligible target.

So if I'm understanding this right, I can charge, cast spells (which i knew) then if my spells killed my charge target OR moved me to another place so that my charge target is no longer in melee range I can make my initial attacks against another model?

If that's right would the move spell have to be like a teleport (aka. Gatecrasher) or would a move spell such as velocity work?

Lastly, would the first attack against the non-charge target model be boosted due to the charge?

Also, if this all works, is there a infernal ruling or is it just common knowledge? just curious not doubting anyone.

silverpuppy
05-31-2010, 05:10 PM
For a succesfull charge you must end your MOVEMENT in melée range of your target. At which point you can then use spells, feats. If you move away from your charge target via spell feat or another ability you nolonger recieve the charge bonus. The bonus is ONLY applied against the charge target. For example a thresher attack on a charge would only get the boosted die againt the one target if the charge, not everyone in melée range of the thresher.

So charge into melée with estryker and then velocity to another target would no longer recieve the boosted damage roll

Weaselcreature
06-01-2010, 07:33 AM
...oh, and your initial attacks in the above situation still need to be melee-type attacks (e.g. Gunfighter attacks work with eCaine, but he can't Gatecrasher away and then shoot something).

whatyoutalkinboutwillis
06-01-2010, 09:34 AM
...oh, and your initial attacks in the above situation still need to be melee-type attacks (e.g. Gunfighter attacks work with eCaine, but he can't Gatecrasher away and then shoot something).

eCaine can't Gate Crash away and shoot something at ranged because Gate Crash specifically states you can only make attacks in your melee range or something to that effect.

However, if a combination of rules (movement based spell, gunfighter, virtuoso) did occur on a model you could charge something. Movement ends and you are in melee range, thus charge doesn't fail. Use movement spell and leave melee, take free strike. Free to take ranged attacks at anything.

Tsaimath
06-01-2010, 09:58 AM
However, if a combination of rules (movement based spell, gunfighter, virtuoso) did occur on a model you could charge something. Movement ends and you are in melee range, thus charge doesn't fail. Use movement spell and leave melee, take free strike. Free to take ranged attacks at anything.

As long as you ain't got something that allows you to make meele and ranged attacks during the same activation i would say no you can't shoot because your next attack has to be the charge-attack and without things like Gunfighter you can't declare a ranged attack as your charge attack

Menoth Kid
06-02-2010, 02:19 AM
As long as you ain't got something that allows you to make meele and ranged attacks during the same activation i would say no you can't shoot because your next attack has to be the charge-attack and without things like Gunfighter you can't declare a ranged attack as your charge attack

This is wrong. A model with :Gunfighter: makes ranged attacks with a 0.5 melee range. Hence, it is impossible for eCaine to make a melee attack under any circumstances.

Tsenzei
06-02-2010, 05:49 AM
Gunfighter entry from Hordes MKII PDF, second paragraph:

A model with the Gunfighter advantage can make charges.
If it makes a charge, the model can make its initial attacks
with its ranged weapons; if its first attack is made with a
ranged weapon, however, that attack is not a charge attack. A
model with Gunfighter can make free strikes with its ranged
weapons.

You can charge with Gunfighter, and if you or your opponent moves after your charge "succeeds" you can choose to make ranged initial attacks, but they would never be Charge Attacks.

Under Charge:
The charging model’s first attack after ending its charge
movement must target the model it charged.

So as long as the target is legal (even if it has Stealth or is out of range) the first attack from a Gunfighter must still be against that target, whether it is ranged or not.

If the charging model cannot make its first melee attack
against the charge target, the charging model can make its
first melee attack against another eligible target, but this is not
a charge attack. It does not lose its first attack.

Otherwise it does seem you could shoot freely, given the supplantive nature of Gunfighter, but if it hasn't already, it could stand to be clarified.

But of course the topic was about whether or not you can cast spells, use feats, or use other non-action abilities between movement and attack of a charge, which has already been answered (yes).