PDA

View Full Version : Confused about rate of fire

Wolf Lancer 4
05-31-2010, 03:17 PM
I am a little confused about Rate of Fire and exactly how it works. I read(or was told I cant remember) that a warjack needs to use focus in order to make additional attacks.

However the Cygnar Charger warjack has a RoF of 2. Does this mean it can make two attacks WITHOUT using any focus? If so can it use two focus to boost both attacks? If it can't make an extra attack without using focus then why have a RoF of 2?

Thanks to all that reply!

John Q.
05-31-2010, 03:25 PM
A ranged weapon can never make more attacks than it's ROF (unless a special rule states that it can ignoring ROF)

A model with a ROF 2 (or more) weapon can make one one normal attack with it, and must spend a focus or fury to make another, but may never make more attacks with the weapon than the ROF declares, even if you have more focus/fury with which to make attacks.

rydiafan
05-31-2010, 03:25 PM
When making its initial ranged attacks a model gets ONE attack with each ranged weapon. A model with focus may buy additional attacks, but the total number of attacks made by a weapon per activation are limited by the weapon's ROF.

vintersbastard
05-31-2010, 03:28 PM
ROF limits the number of ranged attacks a weapon can make during combat action in toto.
That's why for example standard Handcannons have a ROF of one, they can be used for an initial attack, but cannot do any additional attacks after that.
See pp. 35, 49 & 56 for further details on how ROF, combat actions in general and ranged combat specifically work.

Wolf Lancer 4
05-31-2010, 03:34 PM
So if that is the case then:

If I have a Defender and its weapon is ROF 1 then I could make just ONE attack and then boost its attack roll and damage roll but I can NOT use a focus to make an additional attack?

If I have a Charger and it has 3 focus I can use one focus to boost the attack and damage roll for the first attack. Then use one focus to make a second attack(because its ROF is 2) and then use the third focus to boost the attack and damage roll for the second attack?

ShockwaveIIC
05-31-2010, 03:42 PM

If I have a Defender and its weapon is ROF 1 then I could make just ONE attack and then boost its attack roll and damage roll but I can NOT use a focus to make an additional attack?

If I have a Charger and it has 3 focus I can use one focus to boost the attack and damage roll for the first attack. Then use one focus to make a second attack(because its ROF is 2) and then use the third focus to boost the attack and damage roll for the second attack?
Completely correct.

Wolf Lancer 4
05-31-2010, 03:44 PM
Well crap. That means for the three games I have played I have been doing that completely wrong. At least I got that cleared up before I started to play in the League this Friday! Lol!

Thanks for the help guys!

Wolf Lancer 4
05-31-2010, 03:48 PM
OK one more thing to ask. That way I am sure I have every aspect down correctly. :)

pCaine has 2 pistols with a ROF of 2. Does this mean he could spend 2 focus to make 4 attacks with his pistols? Two attacks per pistol?

vintersbastard
05-31-2010, 03:49 PM
OK one more thing to ask. That way I am sure I have every aspect down correctly. :)

pCaine has 2 pistols with a ROF of 2. Does this mean he could spend 2 focus to make 4 attacks with his pistols? Two attacks per pistol?

That's correct. ROF works on a per weapon basis.

Wolf Lancer 4
05-31-2010, 03:50 PM
Alrighty then. Thanks again for the help!

Now if I can remember the other questions that popped up from my last game...

KrankyPanda
06-01-2010, 12:59 AM

Unless the charger has a special rule that allows it's attack and damage to be boosted with one focus, you'll need to spend a focus to boost the attack, a focus to boos the damage, and a focus for the second attack, which you will not be able to boost because you'll be out of focus.

Hjelmen0
06-01-2010, 01:03 AM
Wolf Lancer was correct; The Charger has Powerful Attack on it's cannon.

Mootaz
06-01-2010, 01:51 AM
Unless the charger has a special rule that allows it's attack and damage to be boosted with one focus, you'll need to spend a focus to boost the attack, a focus to boos the damage, and a focus for the second attack, which you will not be able to boost because you'll be out of focus.
If you are not sure on the rules of a model, please don't post in the rules forum to answer questions regarding that model.

Descriptions here are correct.