PDA

View Full Version : How exactly does synergy work?

jellion
02-15-2016, 07:05 PM
As the title says

SageofLodoss
02-15-2016, 07:13 PM
As the title says

1) Caster casts or upkeeps Synergy
2) Warjack A in that caster's battlegroup activates and successfully hits an enemy model with a melee attack. No stat adjustment for his attacks.
3) Warjack B in the same battlegroup activates and attacks an enemy model with a melee attack, receiving +1 to attack rolls and +1 to damage rolls because Warjack A hit an enemy with a melee attack previously. He successfully hits an enemy model during his activation.
4) Warjack C in the same battlegroup activates and attacks an enemy model with a melee attack, receiving +2 to melee attack rolls and +2 to their damage rolls because Warjack A and B hit enemy models with melee attacks previously. Despite this bonus, Warjack C misses all his attacks.
5) Warjack D in the same battlegroup activates and attacks an enemy model with a melee attack. His melee bonus from Synergy is still +2 to attack and damage, from Warjack A and B having hit enemy models with melee attacks previously, but Warjack C didn't increase the Synergy chain since he missed.

Etc. and Etc. Each warjack, and even the caster themselves since they are part of the battlegroup, can cause the next battlegroup models to receive a cumulative +1 to their melee rolls if they hit an enemy model with a melee attack. Each battlegroup model that hits an enemy model only adds 1, regardless of how many enemy models they hit.

onijet01
02-15-2016, 07:46 PM
1) Caster casts or upkeeps Synergy
2) Warjack A in that caster's battlegroup activates and successfully hits an enemy model with a melee attack. No stat adjustment for his attacks.
3) Warjack B in the same battlegroup activates and attacks an enemy model with a melee attack, receiving +1 to attack rolls and +1 to damage rolls because Warjack A hit an enemy with a melee attack previously. He successfully hits an enemy model during his activation.
4) Warjack C in the same battlegroup activates and attacks an enemy model with a melee attack, receiving +2 to melee attack rolls and +2 to their damage rolls because Warjack A and B hit enemy models with melee attacks previously. Despite this bonus, Warjack C misses all his attacks.
5) Warjack D in the same battlegroup activates and attacks an enemy model with a melee attack. His melee bonus from Synergy is still +2 to attack and damage, from Warjack A and B having hit enemy models with melee attacks previously, but Warjack C didn't increase the Synergy chain since he missed.

Etc. and Etc. Each warjack, and even the caster themselves since they are part of the battlegroup, can cause the next battlegroup models to receive a cumulative +1 to their melee rolls if they hit an enemy model with a melee attack. Each battlegroup model that hits an enemy model only adds 1, regardless of how many enemy models they hit.

Your mostly correct,
Synergy chains based on every other model in the battle group that had a sucessful melee attack. But a warjack or warbeast does not have to activate to add to the synergy chain. (it is rare but some spells or abilities can add to the chain with out activating a model)

But 90% of the time youll activate a model to add to the chain.

Korvald
02-15-2016, 07:52 PM
Pretty much what SageofLodoss said. Couple clarifications though. First, Warjack A would not gain +1 to hit and damage with melee attacks on any subsequent attacks it makes. The bonus to synergy each battlegroup model adds only applies to other models. Second, the cumulative bonus resets every turn. So if you hit with a free strike with warjack A during your opponent's next turn, your caster, warjack B, C and D would gain +1 to melee attack and damage rolls made during your opponent's turn. Also, worth adding that a model must be in your control area to add to the synergy chain, and to benefit from it.

BoogyMan
02-17-2016, 01:27 AM
It is also worth noting that a power attack adds to the synergy chain. i.e. push.

AcidOverride
02-17-2016, 07:24 AM
It is also worth noting that a power attack adds to the synergy chain. i.e. push.

For future reference this is because by definition Power Attacks are melee attacks.

Soulblighter
02-17-2016, 09:29 AM
Synergy chains based on every other model in the battle group that had a sucessful melee attack. But a warjack or warbeast does not have to activate to add to the synergy chain. (it is rare but some spells or abilities can add to the chain with out activating a model)

Its not that rare if you play protectorate. Vassals using ancillary attack while Amon has synergy up can get really confusing.

Because you make the ancillary attack, it adds a +1/+1 bonus to the synergy chain, but then you dont get that bonus during the warjack's normal activation. So you have to subtract it back out lol

For example:
Warjack A makes an ancillary attack and it adds to the synergy chain
Warjack B gets +1/+1
Warjack C gets +2/+2
Warjack A does its normal activation but only gets +2/+2 (because it doesnt benefit from its own ancillary attack)

RareShooter1990
02-18-2016, 03:41 AM
I'd like to add a question. If I don't cast synergy until halfway through my battle groups activation would models that activated before casting it contribute to the total bonus.

Example:
Warjack A activates and hits an enemy.
Warcaster activates and casts synergy then hits an enemy.
Warjack B activates and hits an enemy.

Would the warcaster get +1 and Warjack B get +2 or would the warcaster get no bonus and Warjack B gets +1?

azoxystrobin
02-18-2016, 04:12 AM
I'd like to add a question. If I don't cast synergy until halfway through my battle groups activation would models that activated before casting it contribute to the total bonus.

Well, no. You have to have Synergy in play to build any bonuses. Only your second WJ would get any bonus, and only if the warcaster hits an enemy with a melee attack beforehand.
You could have upkept synergy from a previous turn, in which case the caster doesn't have to start the chain himself.
But if the caster has to cast synergy the chain only builds from that point.

RareShooter1990
02-18-2016, 05:12 AM
That's what I figured but reading the wording on synergy I could see how somebody could argue differently.

jandrese
02-18-2016, 02:21 PM

Example:
Warjack A activates and hits an enemy.
Warcaster activates and casts synergy then hits an enemy.
Warjack B activates and hits an enemy.

Would the warcaster get +1 and Warjack B get +2 or would the warcaster get no bonus and Warjack B gets +1?

There is an unwritten rule that spells can not count any effects that happened before they were cast. If you dig through the rules forum hard enough you can find a purplename verifying this. The only spell that continues to affect a model even when no longer in play is Primal.