PDA

View Full Version : Cull Soul and Focus Allocation

hengist
06-06-2010, 06:55 AM
If you cull souls on a Death Jack, do they count as part of the focus allocation or can you still allocate up to 3 focus no matter how many souls are converted to focus points during the control phase?

Hjelmen0
06-06-2010, 07:02 AM
Read this post (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?9634-Deathjack-focus-question-newbie&p=160257#post160257), which explains everything.

Long story short: Souls gained by Cull Souls count towards the allocation limit.

hengist
06-06-2010, 08:37 AM
Thank you for the reference. I read the thread and can see how they came to the conclusion. It does seem that the rules' wording is not that clear though.

Aldarionn
06-06-2010, 08:52 AM
Thank you for the reference. I read the thread and can see how they came to the conclusion. It does seem that the rules' wording is not that clear though.

You are correct there. With any rules set there are some nuances that don't get fully explained because they might not have been foreseen by the developers. Warjacks with Cull Soul and the wording for Focus Allocation may be such an instance. As it stands right now there is a very precise set of steps by which Focus is gained during the Control Phase of the player turn, and since Soul Tokens are turned into Focus Points in the step prior to Allocation, they limit the amount of Focus that can be Allocated to a Warjack with such an ability. Currently Deathjack is the only Warjack that has this ability to my knowledge (the Harrower can gain Soul Tokens but never turns them into Focus Points), and so is the only model capable of this odd interaction, but since the act of Allocation cannot bring a Warjack above 3 Focus Points, any focus gained prior to the step of Allocation during the Control Phase (or held over from the previous round, as is the case with a certain Retribution 'Jack) will limit the amount of Focus a Warcaster can Allocate to the 'Jack in question. Focus gained AFTER the Allocation step does not suffer from this limit unless it specifically says that the Focus is Allocated. For example, the Focus Points gained from the Skulls of Hate are not Allocated Focus, and thus do not suffer from the limit, but Focus Points gained through eNemos feat specifically states that they are Allocated, and therefore must respect the 3 Focus limit.

hengist
06-06-2010, 09:29 AM
I reread the wording an it seems to be that it needs to be clarified that focus allocation is not an action unto itself. I noticed there are a number of areas requiring clarification now, I am not sure why temporary errata cannot be posted. Such errata can always be amended when required.

Aldarionn
06-06-2010, 01:43 PM
I reread the wording an it seems to be that it needs to be clarified that focus allocation is not an action unto itself. I noticed there are a number of areas requiring clarification now, I am not sure why temporary errata cannot be posted. Such errata can always be amended when required.
I'm not entirely sure I understand your need for further clarification here. If you read the steps for the Control Phase it clearly outlines when each step takes place, and what occurs during each step. Additionally if you read the rules for Focus Allocation you will see that it clearly outlines that a model may never have more than 3 Focus as a result of Allocation. This means that any ability that Allocates Focus to a Warjack may only do so if the Warjack currently has less than 3 Focus Points, and the Warjack may never be brought above 3.

Allocation does not need to be defined as an action, it defines itself as one and the limitations under which it can be used. If a Warjack has 2 focus sitting on it and some ability Allocates 3 Focus to it, it would receive only 1 of that 3 Focus, bringing it to a total of 3. If the Warjack then "gains" an additional 2 Focus from another ability that is not defined as Allocation, it would not be limited and would be brought to a total of 5.

This topic has been discussed in detail, so I recommend reading through the entirety of the thread Hjelmen0 linked. The long and short of it is that it has been clarified and there is no more room for argument on the issue. Infernals have spoken regarding the matter and its pretty much a closed case.