PDA

View Full Version : Cavalry impact hits

katadder
06-07-2010, 04:25 AM
hi I was watching a game on vassal the other day and this came up.
one player said that if you killed your charge target with impact hits then it was a failed charge and even though the knight had people in reach melee range he couldnt attack them. because page 47 says if you end your charge movement without your charge target in melee range its a failed charge
is this true or is it just trying to complicate matters for those who dont use cavalry much?

Dino-Czar
06-07-2010, 04:29 AM
It is true. The reasoning goes like this:

Impact attacks come before you complete your charge movement.
If an impact attack kills the charge target then the charge target cannot be in melee range with the charge movement is completed.
If the charge target is not in melee range when charge movement is completed the charge is failed and activation ends.

Also, be aware that impact attacks are not optional. If you travel 3" or more and contact a model you must make the impact attack against all legal targets, both friendly and opposing.

katadder
06-07-2010, 05:17 AM
that just sounds like making the rules confusing already on what was supposed to be streamlining the game

TheUnknownMercenary
06-07-2010, 06:21 AM
You do not have to make Impact Attacks against the target of the Charge. Any other model contacted is not optional.

If the charge target is the first model contacted by the charging cavalry model, the charging model can still make an impact attack against it.

Pg 82 Word of advice, only make impact attacks against charge targets that will most likely not be destroyed by the impact attack, if you still want to make the charge attack.

joedj
06-07-2010, 07:35 AM
Pg 82 Word of advice, only make impact attacks against charge targets that will most likely not be destroyed by the impact attack, if you still want to make the charge attack.

Or charge laterally, impacting adjoining model(s) before changing facing to directly face your charge target.

Tsenzei
06-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Or charge laterally, impacting adjoining model(s) before changing facing to directly face your charge target.

Or, if you have reach, you can stop the charge sooner than being within 0.5" and thus avoid the Impact hit anyway.

I would point out, however, that unless the model has more than one non-mount attack, you're not losing as much as you might think. Where possible, take as many attacks as you can of course, but if you kill your target and fail your charge it's not too bad.

Garcia5156
06-08-2010, 05:19 AM
It isn't too bad unless the failed charge leaves you waaay out of position: (and people correct me if I'm wrong here) if impact attacks destroy the charge target, the charging model continues its movement to the full extent of its SPD+3" without being able to willfully stop. This is potentially a very bad thing unless you planned ahead that way! I know its not part of the original question, but I thought it would complete the discussion as it is completely related and relevant!

Dino-Czar
06-08-2010, 05:37 AM
Or, if you have reach, you can stop the charge sooner than being within 0.5" and thus avoid the Impact hit anyway.

Impact attacks occur if and only if you contact another model. Stopping at any point before contact would prevent an impact hit.

vintersbastard
06-08-2010, 05:53 AM
... if impact attacks destroy the charge target, the charging model continues its movement to the full extent of its SPD+3" without being able to willfully stop.

This is correct.