PDA

View Full Version : Mk3 Assaut Unit Timing

Mr_Smigs
06-11-2016, 10:56 PM
Same question I had last version,

When a unit with assault (Trenchers IIRC) charges,

do they:

A. Move 1 model, have it shoot, then go to the next model....

or

B. Move all the models, then shoot with all the models, then move to combat phase....

Nerzule
06-12-2016, 05:56 AM
I'd say option B.

The assault rule says
"A model with the Assault advantage can make one ranged attack as part of a charge during its activation. This ranged attack must occur after the model ends its movement but before it begins its Combat Action and must target the model charged....".

The unit rules say
"After all the models in a unit resolve their Normal Movements, each trooper then makes its Combat Action. Once the models in a unit begin resolving their Combat Actions, each trooper’s Combat Action cannot begin until the previous model’s Combat Action has been resolved.

- The Unit commander would issue the Press Forward Order
- Press forward allows each trooper to perform a charge
- You follow the unit rules to perform the charge, meaning they all finish movement before starting attacks
- Assault then provides you the ability to make a ranged shot prior to your charge attack
- Then you perform your charge attack

vintersbastard
06-12-2016, 07:21 AM
There doesn't seem to be any stricter limitation than "some time between ending its charge movement and beginning its combat action," so clearing charge lanes is apparently fine now (as long as you're in formation).

Mr_Smigs
06-12-2016, 09:07 AM
ok, additional add on to this,

looking over the Formation rules, it sounds like,when they charge, they are restricted by the unit leader,

if the leader charges first, then they can shoot one by one, as they'd end their charge in formation,

but if they charge before the leader, they are out of formation, and thus cannot make special attacks or use special abilities...

Electric Seal
06-12-2016, 09:30 AM
I dunno... I don't think it's 100% clear either way.

Nerzule
06-12-2016, 11:10 AM
Ya, I'm changing my original answer a bit after reviewing the timing appendix a bit more. I agree with the later opinions that it actually fits Option A or Option B, with the caveat you mentioned later that they can't perform the attack if they are currently out of formation. I think the bolded parts below allow it to happen in any order you want, you could even mix and match some firing right away and some waiting and going later.

activation timing
1-3...
4. The model makes its Normal Movement.
5. Resolve effects that occur at the end of Normal
Movement.
6. If activating a unit, repeat steps 4 and 5 for each
trooper, then resolve effects that occur at the end of the
unit’s Normal Movement.

Unit activation
...When a unit makes its Normal Movement, troopers
can move in any order. Completely resolve the Normal
Movement of one trooper before moving on to the next.

"...This ranged attack must occur after the model ends its movement but before it begins its Combat Action and must target the model charged..."

Mr_Smigs
06-12-2016, 06:57 PM
yeah, see, if Assault mentioned "normal movement" it would be easier to tell, but it just says movement...

the part 3 of this question is,

"How does this interact with Countercharge timing"?

Xaldyn
06-24-2016, 06:01 AM
Can we get a definite response on this? With Assault being a core icon mechanic, having it be as vague as "sometime between timing steps 5 and 7" is not good for the game. It pretty much has to happen during either step 5 or 6, it would just be nice to know which it is.

DarkLegacy
06-24-2016, 06:02 AM
Can we get a definite response on this? With Assault being a core icon mechanic, having it be as vague as "sometime between timing steps 5 and 7" is not good for the game. It pretty much has to happen during either step 5 or 6, it would just be nice to know which it is.
Do not bump. We are aware of all the threads and questions.

Setomidor
09-02-2016, 01:17 AM
Threadomancing this, hopefully someone has reached a verdict by now?

Stormpuppy_Infantry
09-02-2016, 01:19 AM
Threadomancing this, hopefully someone has reached a verdict by now?

Thread necromancy in the Rules Forum is not allowed. If you have a question then you should make a new thread and link the thread you are looking for.

Also bumping the question is not allowed too.

Nerzule
09-02-2016, 02:20 AM
THis was ruled on in a similar thread to be all models move, all models perform assault, all models perform combat action(barring any interaction with other rules)

juckto
09-02-2016, 09:41 AM
https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?258737-Proper-order-of-Assault-with-Units&p=3651740&viewfull=1#post3651740