PDA

View Full Version : Gunfighter free strike bonus(es) with multiple attack/damage rolls

Leonard_Dukes
06-12-2016, 10:47 AM
Hordes: Primal, Free Strikes, p44

When an engaged model advances out of an enemy’s melee range or line of sight, the enemy model can make a free strike against it just before it leaves. The model makes one normal melee attack with any melee weapon that has sufficient melee range to reach the moving model and gains a +2 bonus to its attack roll. If the attack hits, the damage roll is boosted.

Hordes: Primal, Gunfighter, p52

A model with the Gunfighter advantage can make ranged attacks targeting models it is in melee with and can make free strikes with its ranged weapons.

Does a Gunfighter making a free strike benefit from the +2 bonus to its attack roll? Is the subsequent damage roll boosted? What about a ranged weapon that generates multiple attack (e.g. Spray attack) or damage (e.g. Spray attack, AOE attack) rolls?

Darkangeldentist
06-18-2016, 04:26 AM
Has this been answered somewhere else? I am also confused whether or not gunfighter free strikes receive any of the bonuses for free strikes. Whilst they are clearly allowed to use their ranged weapons to make free strikes the bonuses are also clearly said to apply to melee attacks. It would have been nice to have had a bulletpoint clarifying this.

Saviouress
06-18-2016, 04:53 AM
I think the free strike bonuses aren't clearly defined as melee attack rolls so I'm pretty sure you will get the +2 to hit and the boosted damage roll.

In MK2 you would have a fully boosted AoE damage roll or Spray as far as I can remember, not sure if that translates to MK3.

ReactantAborel
06-18-2016, 09:30 AM
Free Strike PG 44

Sentence 1 and 2 in the Gunfighter section on PG 52

Does a Gunfighter making a free strike benefit from the +2 bonus to its attack roll? Is the subsequent damage roll boosted? What about a ranged weapon that generates multiple attack (e.g. Spray attack) or damage (e.g. Spray attack, AOE attack) rolls?

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Hypothetically if you have a model with gunfighter that had a spray ranged attack gun or a gun fired aoe you would only get the free strike bonus against the model leaving your melee range/los

Sheer_Falacy
06-18-2016, 09:34 AM
Free Strike specifically references Melee attack PG 44

Gunfighter allows you to make free strikes with ranged weapons, and the bonuses provided by free strikes aren't conditional on type of attack ("+2 bonus to the attack roll. If the attack hits, the damage roll is boosted").

ReactantAborel
06-18-2016, 09:39 AM
Gunfighter allows you to make free strikes with ranged weapons, and the bonuses provided by free strikes aren't conditional on type of attack ("+2 bonus to the attack roll. If the attack hits, the damage roll is boosted").

ninja'd yes

Darkangeldentist
06-18-2016, 12:40 PM
The sentence describing the free strike bonuses does not specify melee attacks but earlier sentences in the paragraph do and this is compounded by the summary table that is titled "melee attack modifiers".

This table makes it implicit that the bonuses to free strikes are applied to melee attacks.

Leonard_Dukes
07-05-2016, 10:06 AM
Any further input on this? I know how it was ruled in MkII, and the wording doesn't appear to have changed since then.

Sheer_Falacy
07-05-2016, 12:50 PM
Any further input on this? I know how it was ruled in MkII, and the wording doesn't appear to have changed since then.

In mk2, free strikes gave you +2 to hit with melee attack rolls. In mk3, that was changed to +2 to attack rolls.

Leonard_Dukes
07-15-2016, 07:54 AM
In mk2, free strikes gave you +2 to hit with melee attack rolls. In mk3, that was changed to +2 to attack rolls.

That much is clear.

What isn't clear is whether that bonus is...

* Intended to apply to ranged attack rolls made by Gunfighter ranged attacks

* Intended to apply to all ranged attack rolls made by Gunfighter ranged attacks that generate multiple rolls (e.g. sprays)

...and likewise with the damage roll - whether all subsequent damage rolls are boosted, as was the case in Mk2.

SparkSovereign
07-15-2016, 11:51 AM
Free Strike PG 44

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Hypothetically if you have a model with gunfighter that had a spray ranged attack gun or a gun fired aoe you would only get the free strike bonus against the model leaving your melee range/los

Not just a hypothetical, there are a lot of models with those. Typhon springs to mind, although half of the Legion warbeast pool qualifies during Lylyth2's feat turn (which you could trigger free strikes during via stuff like Countercharge). This is a very relevant question.

HuffnPropayne
12-11-2016, 10:31 PM
Any official ruling on if gunfighter freestrikes get the bonus? The search keeps bringing me to this thread