PDA

View Full Version : StormGunner Range question w/rest of unit

WarcasterKramer
06-07-2010, 05:33 PM
So the rules state that if the Storm gunner directly hits a model during this model's activation, ranged attacks against the model hit by the rest of the unit automatically hit. Is this regardless of range (as the rest of the unit would possibly only be range 4 or 6)? Also, would this be regardless of LOS?

TheUnknownMercenary
06-07-2010, 07:41 PM
You need range and Line of Sight.

WarcasterKramer
06-08-2010, 06:19 AM
What is the point of the model then? other than one model in the unit having a longer range, the RAT is the same, all the other stats are the same - I guess I just don't see what this model adds other than another grunt. Sorry, I realize that you have nothing to do with it, but it just seems like it is a waste of a model.

tsochung
06-08-2010, 06:55 AM
it helps when you're shooting something with a high def and multi damage boxes

vintersbastard
06-08-2010, 08:34 AM
You don't have to roll anymore. Even if you're shooting a Khador jack, which you hit on a 5, this will leave a 16,7% chance of missing for each shot. If you're for example assaulting said jack with all your Stormblades, chances are pretty high that you're going to miss with at least one, which could be the damage roll you need. (Assuming only one Stormgunner, making the first attack and missing, it's a 76,7% chance for the rest of the unit.)

Nonetheless, this discussion belongs into the faction forums, not the rules forum.;)

jking_3rd
06-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Also, I'm trying a tactic where I lead with my 3 Stormgunners with the rest of the unit in rank behind them, so I've got a line of 3 SBlades with a 10" reach moving forward. SPD 5", +3" on the Assault. RNG 10", +4" with Snipe. with a POW 14 / 7 +2d6 on the Blast if they are close enough to the unit Leader. That's a lateral area of about 11" of death from about 22" away.

Weaselcreature
06-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Nonetheless, this discussion belongs into the faction forums, not the rules forum.;)

Yup. We're in the area of tactics now, and that usually leads to a locked thread, and no more discussion regarding the rule in question (although it has been answered well enough here!) :)

The_Gr8_I
06-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Also, I'm trying a tactic where I lead with my 3 Stormgunners with the rest of the unit in rank behind them, so I've got a line of 3 SBlades with a 10" reach moving forward. SPD 5", +3" on the Assault. RNG 10", +4" with Snipe. with a POW 14 / 7 +2d6 on the Blast if they are close enough to the unit Leader. That's a lateral area of about 11" of death from about 22" away.

Wouldn't that be 24" away? If they are close enough to the leader, wouldn't they get the +2" on their ranged attacks? So that would be 5" of speed + 3" on the charge + 10" range of the weapon + 4" for snipe and finally + 2" for being within 5" of the leader = 24" of death.

FearLord
06-09-2010, 01:28 AM

Also the power of the blasts is halved and then the +2 for the unit leader is added, so model hit directly takes a POW 14, and the blast damage is 6+2 = POW 8.

Benjihuff
07-03-2010, 07:14 PM
I do not mean to be rezzing a dead thread but if I read the rules correctly, then you COULD extend the range of the unit by using the WA.

Storm Gunner- "Electrical Current- IF this attack directly hits a model during this unit's activation, ranged attacks against that model in this unit later this activation automatically hit it."

MKII pg 56 measuring range dictated that if you fail to meet the range for an attack you automatically miss, BUT when we go to page 61 it says "If one rule causes an attack to hit automatically and one causes it to miss automatically, the automatic hit takes precedence over the automatic miss."

So tell me, why would this WA and unit not hit automatically at the Storm Gunners range. LOS is still required because that make the target legal, but if you fail to meet the range requirement it is still a legal target, (hence why you can shoot AoE shots and drift to still damage.)

TheUnknownMercenary
07-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Don't "rez" a dead thread, just make a new thread with a link to this thread.

Check page 245 Attack Main Sequence
Step 4: If the target is out of range, the attack automatically misses... go to step 7
then check Step 5: Resolve effects that occur when a model is targeted by an attack, such as effects that cause an attack to hit or miss automatically.

So if a model is out of range then the attack automatically misses and you skip steps 5 and 6 and go right to step 7.

Cloud-Gatherer
07-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Oh snap! The timing sequence strikes again! ;)

Benjihuff
07-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Ya it is tricky hiding behind the models section in the rule book, I had never even looked at those pages before.

The Anders
07-05-2010, 12:59 AM
I do not mean to be rezzing a dead thread but if I read the rules correctly, then you COULD extend the range of the unit by using the WA.

Storm Gunner- "Electrical Current- IF this attack directly hits a model during this unit's activation, ranged attacks against that model in this unit later this activation automatically hit it."

MKII pg 56 measuring range dictated that if you fail to meet the range for an attack you automatically miss, BUT when we go to page 61 it says "If one rule causes an attack to hit automatically and one causes it to miss automatically, the automatic hit takes precedence over the automatic miss."

So tell me, why would this WA and unit not hit automatically at the Storm Gunners range. LOS is still required because that make the target legal, but if you fail to meet the range requirement it is still a legal target, (hence why you can shoot AoE shots and drift to still damage.)
Try to think of the thunderhead then ;) .. It would hit every model on the tabel with that logic.

Fryerdan
07-19-2010, 09:39 AM
the thunderhead has a range of 6" specified

NmoLvr
07-19-2010, 09:46 AM
And the Storm Glaive Blast has a range of 4" specified. Electrical Arc will get you another 2". That range can't be broken any more than the Thunderhead's can.

ar2
07-19-2010, 09:49 AM
the thunderhead has a range of 6" specified

Yeap, so do Stormblades. : )