PDA

View Full Version : Rain of Death question

coleman99
06-09-2010, 03:05 PM
hi guys i have a question regarding the devastator, in the card it says that it can substitute its charge attack for a rain of death attack, does this means that the rain of death attack becomes 3d6 + 18pow attack or is the explosion unboostable?

thanks!

Michael
06-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Rain of Death is not a melee attack or attached to a particular (melee) weapon. Therefore, it cannot be boosted.

silverpuppy
06-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Boosted dice are only against the target of a charge. does rain of death state that the attack is unboostable?

can you quote the text for the mentioned ability

Rain of Death (��Attack) - Models B2B with this model suffer a POW 18 blast damage roll. Other models within 3˝ of this model
suffer a POW 9 blast damage roll. When this model charges, instead of making a charge attack it can make a Rain of Death
attack. A Rain of Death attack does not need a target. After a Rain of Death attack, this model can make additional melee
attacks.

from the pdf, so the answer is no, it does not recieve the boosted die from the charge. this is because its not a melee weapon. michael beat me too the punch (which would be boosted if he charged me :))

melee attacks are the only ones boosted from a charge, and then they are only boosted against the charge target. for example a thresher attack hits 4 models and only the one that was the target of the charge would be hit with the boosted for free die as a result of the charge

coleman99
06-09-2010, 03:16 PM
One more question guys, can you boost for each model it hits as a normal AOE that hits a target directly?

ItsTehPope
06-09-2010, 03:20 PM
One more question guys, can you boost for each model it hits as a normal AOE that hits a target directly?

Yes (10 characters)

coleman99
06-09-2010, 03:28 PM
an a last question, after doing his rain of death attack does he loses the armor from both of his arms? (from 25 to 17)

silverpuppy
06-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Armored Shell - While one of its arm systems is crippled, this modelʼs base ARM is 21; while both its arm systems are crippled,
its base ARM is 17. If this model makes an attack, its base ARM is 17 until the start of its next activation. This modelʼs arms
cannot be locked.

*attacks are indeed attacks

BaronOfGrayMatter
06-10-2010, 09:58 AM
So if a devastator charges a target outside of its melee range, can it still RoD? For example, devastator charges 7 inches at a model 9 inches away. Instead of making a charge attack, can it RoD to hit the charge target?

frostaxe
06-10-2010, 10:06 AM
Yeah he can AOE at the end of his charge no matter who is near him. Not being in melee does not end his activation. But in your example the guy would take a power 9 blast dmg.

stygmatyr
06-10-2010, 10:08 AM
No he wouldn't, as he has failed the charge his activation will end and rain of death would of happened in place of the charge attack

Deakon
06-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Are you sure about that? nothing says specifically that his charge doesn't fail if he doesn't end in melee. This seems the same as the ironclad's tremor attack, which i believe was ruled he has to end in melee to do after a charge.

Michael
06-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Prime MK II, pg 47, under "Charging":

"...If a charging model ends its charge movement without its charge target in melee range, it has made a failed charge. ..."

You must still declare a target to charge, although Rain of Death's rule allows you to make the RoD attack instead of a melee attack at the end of the charge movement. All of the other rules for the charge still apply. So, if you end your movement without your charge target in melee range, the Devastator's charge has failed and its activation ends.

Edit: That was a flurry of posts while I was typing this up!

silverpuppy
06-10-2010, 11:20 AM
a michael has it.

if you move and DO NOT end in melee range of your CHARGE TARGET your charge has failed. the rain of death can simply be substituted for the melee attack is all that is being allowed, it is not allowing you to get around the charge rules.

edit: the iron clad in cygnar has a similar rule stating a similar interaction, he also must end his movement in range of his charge target, even though his attack doesnt require a target

frostaxe
06-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Hmm good to know. I assumed that it was simply part of the charge. Though it may end the activation , the rain of death still went off. You are saying activation ends before he fires RoD then?

Crate123
06-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Yeah if youre not within range of your charge target then your activation ends before Rain of Death.

silverpuppy
06-10-2010, 01:05 PM
For a charge to succeed or fail you check for melee distance after movement but before action phase of your models activation. like a war caster charging if he is out of range it fails and he cannot cast spells.

ork56MkII
07-08-2010, 03:28 AM
like a war caster charging if he is out of range it fails and he cannot cast spells.

I thought a caster could cast after charging, even a failed one?

Iff
07-08-2010, 03:48 AM
If a caster's charge fails, his activation immediately ends. He can't cast spells.

Also, please don't bump old threads. Just make a new one. This makes it easier for others to search, if they have a similar question in the future.