PDA

View Full Version : Upkeep Spell Issue!!

Yensids
06-13-2010, 07:29 PM
Sorry to post this but I couldn't find a post on this already on the forums. I typed in Upkeep Spells in the search bar of the page but nothing came up. This is important because there is an issue with this at my LGS. I have read the Warmachine MKII book several times to the people at the LGS. The issue is how does upkeep spells work when casted? The 2 interpretations are:

1. You can have only 1 of each upkeep spell at a time in play and they can be stacked on the same model.
(Ex. Blur and Snipe can be casted on the Black 13th and not casted again during the turn or else they expire.)

2. You can have only 1 of each upkeep spell at a time in play and they can only be casted on different models and do not stack.
(Ex. Blur gets casted on the Black 13th while Snipe gets casted on the Long Gunners.)

Please explain in full detail as the book doesn't seem clear. Also, I used this examples just as examples. This is NOT what is happening. The rules are what we are questioning.

Thanks,
Barby :)

admanb
06-13-2010, 07:30 PM
There is no debate here. The answer is #2.

Yaum
06-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Yep. #2.

Furthermore : a model/unit can have a maximum of 1 friendly and 1 enemy upkeep spells on them at any time.
And you can have more than one of the same upkeep spell in play, but only if they're from different source

(ie. pStryker cast Arcane Shield on Ol'Rowdy and the a Journeyman cast Arcane Shield on some Stormblades.)

brotherscott
06-13-2010, 07:44 PM
Prime MK II, page 78-

Upkeep Spells
"Upkeep spells can be maintained for more than one round.
During your Control Phase, your models can spend focus
to keep their upkeep spells in play. Each upkeep spell
requires 1 focus point for its upkeep every time. A model
can maintain an upkeep spell even if the spell’s effects are
outside that model’s control area. If focus is not spent to
maintain one of your upkeep spells during your Control
Phase, the spell immediately expires.

A model can have only one instance of each specific upkeep
spell in play at a time, but it can maintain any number of
different upkeep spells simultaneously if it spends enough
focus points to do so. A model or unit can have only one
friendly and one enemy upkeep spell in play on it at a
time. If another upkeep spell is cast on a model or unit that
already has one from the same side—friendly or enemy—
the older upkeep spell expires and is replaced by the
newly cast one when the affected model is hit by the spell.
The older upkeep spell expires even if only a single model
in the unit is affected by the new upkeep spell. Likewise,
an upkeep spell on one model expires if its unit is affected
by a new upkeep spell from the same side.

A model can recast any of its upkeep spells already in play.
If this happens, the spell’s previous casting immediately
expires when the COST of the new casting is paid.
If an upkeep spell affecting a unit expires on one model in
the unit, it expires on all models in the unit."

Yensids
06-13-2010, 08:43 PM
Thank you guys for the clear up. I figured it was # 2 but reading the book was not making sense to a lot of us. The "A model can have only one instance of each specific upkeep spell in play at a time, but it can maintain any number of different upkeep spells simultaneously if it spends enough focus points to do so." seemed to contradict "A model can recast any of its upkeep spells already in play. If this happens, the spell’s previous casting immediately expires when the COST of the new casting is paid. If an upkeep spell affecting a unit expires on one model in the unit, it expires on all models in the unit."

Thanks!

Barby :)

Valander
06-13-2010, 08:46 PM
And the rule reference brotherscott provides also answers the question of having 2 different upkeep spells on the same model: you can't, because of the sentence right after his highlighted part. ;) It also shows that, for example, you could not have the same caster cast Blur on two different models/units; as soon as cast again, previous instances expire.