PDA

View Full Version : Let Us Know What Your Favorite Articles and Features Are

PPS_Josh
03-29-2017, 08:16 AM
Hello everyone!

Just as the title says, we're curious about what No Quarter content resonates best with our audience. It can be a general series (I love Guts and Gears!) or a specific article (I loved the one about the Meat Thresher!), just let us know your thoughts.

Thank you!

desmothenes
03-29-2017, 12:05 PM
I love seeing amazing huge terrain and a battle report on that terrain. I remember a while back an amazing looking bridge being made and the steps to make it, and then a huge battle with three casters per side. One side was Skorne, and I don't recall the other. It was a fun read and I just loved looking at all the pictures of the terrain.

My second favourite part is short stories from the history of the Iron Kingdoms, either a biography of a character or a story about a few related battles (not actual game battle reports, but a fluffy battle description).

Yord
03-29-2017, 12:33 PM
I love the Uncharted Series for the RPG. I also enjoyed the Legion Everblight series! All RPG content actually. I hope you keep up the awesome work here and keep publishing RPG extensions in NQ! I really love the Gavyn Kyle files, too. I read most of them and even bought some earlier NQs just to read up on some of them. Whoever is writing them (I guess it changes?) is doing a great job.

I am with desmothenes on the short stories. They come third for me, but it is a really close third. All in all, I really enjoy what you do with NQ, keep up the good work!

Hjard
03-29-2017, 09:47 PM
Definitely the files on all the characters and the series about Verendrey. The RPG content is situationally interesting, as well as the No Quarter games and sometimes I skip over these, but the stories are always nice to read and flesh out the setting (how does anyone want to live in the Protectorate???)

Nerzule
03-30-2017, 03:20 AM
The battle reports. These are always very well done and it's a unique take to battle reports. Would love to see more of them.

The gavyn Kyle files. I really enjoy these peeks into various characters.

Short stories. I love the short stories, my only complaint would be don't make them too short! The recent "Reborn" was great, but at a page and a half, I find it in a weird limbo area. It's too long to just be a teaser, but it's too short to be a fully realized short story(I'll admit a bias against short stories when I really love a setting though...S.I.X. needs some Retribution novels!)

The almost ARG like teaser from the recent no quarter is a cool idea. More things like that would be neat!

Clokwerk
03-30-2017, 02:02 PM
The RPG content is the biggest drawcard for me.
Edit: I liked the Laelese Resistance piece in NQ65. It had a great combination of new gear, character concepts and scenarios. The Uncharted and Everblight articles have been excellent and the quick shot scenarios are really useful.

Shado
03-30-2017, 04:42 PM
I'll be honest, I haven't bought a no quarter in quite some time as the content hasn't called to me in a lone time.

My Favorite No Quarter was the one with "Death and Diamonds", Detailing all the areas around the town of Ternon Crag. Gavin Kyle Files was always another favorite, but I don't think you guys have done one on an interesting character in a long while now.

All the RPG Content use to be absolute gold, but much like the new IKRPG, I find most of it lacking at best.

FeralPrince
03-30-2017, 05:49 PM
My absolute favorites are the lore/fluff bits about the minutia. The organization of armies and backgrounds on the day to day lives of different nationalities and races, or little journel entries or interviews from characters, that sort of thing. A close second is the DIY hobby stuff.

NoOneII
03-30-2017, 08:14 PM
Gavin Kyle Files are my absolute favourite, no doubt. I always go straigth for them as soon as I get hold of the new NQ. Is there a list somewhere, detailing which character got "kyled" in which issue of NQ? Or would you guys consider a GK-anthology?

I also like the terrain building inspirations/tutorials quite a bit.

Serenet
03-31-2017, 03:45 AM
I greatly enjoy the additional content for IKRPG, and would absolutely love more of that kind of things for the board game (like the halloween missions or the ones using the orgot tiles).

I absolutely agree with the one saying the NQ are an excellent place to let us know what happened to the factions this past 2 years that haven't gotten any love yet, or short stories for factions that are harder to make a full novel for (like Cryx, who obviously have a more antagonistic role, and I miss all the internal politics between asphyxious and the other lich lords.

Things I don't like about the no quarter, the publicity part, if I can just find the same info or photos in your website I don't see the point on seeing then in a paid magazine, feels redundant.

The "tournament threat" section I don't particularly enjoy, I think it would be faaaar more interesting if it was written by pro players more than the staff, like asking trevor to make one for Cygnar or Jay Larsen to make one for trolls, and even tell us a little about the players themselves, I'm sure a lot of them would be delighted to write it.

The battle reports are another section I'm not super crazy about.

Love the painting one, I believe anything that involves the community more is great.

The sections I love I really do, that's why I have been subscribed for 2 years, just wish the other games or the fluff got has much love has the IKRPG does (which like I said, the content for it is super amazing and the main reason I buy it).

mortal
03-31-2017, 06:04 AM
I love the fluff when introducing new theme lists.

Blueberry_Rex
03-31-2017, 12:26 PM
The Gavyn Kyle Files are by far my favorite. I also loved the "Reborn" article in NQ 71. I also love all of the IKRPG material, specifically the detailed descriptions of places and locales. Personally, I am not as much of a fan of the game content, but that's mostly when players create characters or use abilities, etc. that are derived from the NQ material instead of a sourcebook. It would be fantastic if the IKRPG material from No Quarter was compiled into an expansion book, similar to Urban Adventure and Wild Adventure. As an amateur historian, I like documenting the when/where of the Iron Kingdoms and Caen as a whole, so that background material is definitely the additions I like the best.

In other feedback, I wasn't a fan of the point/counterpoint article done recently. I don't typically read the magazine for gaming advice. Usually I find that best from these forums and firsthand experience at my LGS.

Blueberry_Rex
03-31-2017, 12:33 PM
Gavin Kyle Files are my absolute favourite, no doubt. I always go straigth for them as soon as I get hold of the new NQ. Is there a list somewhere, detailing which character got "kyled" in which issue of NQ?

If you go to the sticky here, you can Ctrl+F "Gavyn Kyle" and see which issue all the article were in!

Menoth Darrell
03-31-2017, 02:19 PM
I love the Gavyn Kyle files and the terrain builds. A nice dose of fluff and some beautiful terrain really gives me a hanker for a hunka warmahordes

LikkleLion
04-01-2017, 04:36 AM
For me its always the Hobby Stuff. Tutorials of any kind, painting examples, the painting challenges and terrain ofc!

Mr. Mayhem
04-03-2017, 12:22 PM
Gavin Kyle Files, Guts & Gears and painting competition pics are my favorites.

Blueberry_Rex
04-04-2017, 08:41 AM
I'm going to be totally honest: I wish No Quarter could become a monthly magazine, but I don't want to see the content suffer for the sake of deadlines.

Tempests_Wrath
04-04-2017, 05:36 PM
Gavin Kyle Files and Guts & Gears by a good margin for me :)

Jordan Peacock
04-25-2017, 10:47 AM
Among my favorites:

No Quarter #4: Smoke on the Water ( PP Store Link: http://store.privateerpress.com/no-quarter-magazine-issue-4 )
This was a BIG help for me, as I was struggling to get a new Iron Kingdoms campaign off the ground. Combined with the river-journey series of adventures included in the "Path of Devastation" series (Twisted Steel, Darkwater, Ol' Mudfoot, and Hadrin's Rest), and with a bit of work to convert d20 elements up to the current system, this gave me plenty of material for the first arc of my Iron Kingdoms campaign, simply traveling down the Dragon's Tongue River en route to Five Fingers. It's a nice combination of episodic encounters that could be easily added to or mixed around to suit the needs for a particular group, and the riverboat conveyance that serves as the plot device to get PCs from point to point. The online PDF supplement ( http://privateerpress.com/no-quarter/web-extras/smoke-on-the-water ) adds even more value by fleshing out the major NPCs further, and giving more context to the encounters as presented in the magazine article.

No Quarter #28: Blackwater ( PP Store Link: http://store.privateerpress.com/no-quarter-magazine-issue-28 )
Although this was written with the old d20 IKRPG in mind, it's a treasure trove of fluff for a new IKRPG campaign as well. Before I read this, I wouldn't have imagined any place in Cryx territory where non-Cryxian pirates and such might actually find a "safe" port to trade in purloined goods, questionable artifacts, etc. For my current pirate-themed campaign, this makes a lively and creepy spot for a visit with my PC group as part of a larger quest.

The Pendrake Encounters (various issues)
These amount to "mini-adventures" that can be plugged fairly easily into an existing campaign as a not-so-random encounter on some journey from point to point, and help give additional context and character to the monsters as presented in the Monsternomicon. Again, this is old d20 material, so there's some difficulty in translating to the new system, but the STORY elements are particularly helpful as a starting point for further inspiration. The Pendrake Encounter in issue #28 (referenced above) -- for the Wyldgeist -- is particularly useful, and actually translates unusually well. (That's probably because the "monster" is more a situation than a conventional creature. The core FMF book can provide stats for the highwaymen, and the Wyldgeist is largely just a mechanism by which some of the fallen bandits are likely to get up again for another go.)

MoFaux
04-26-2017, 04:19 AM
I read NQ for Themes, Narrative fluff and terrain making articles.

I am also really loving the NQ games. Please make an IK based 5-6 mini Skirmish game.

Scottie
04-28-2017, 09:15 AM
I always go straight for the IKRPG content, then either the painting or any lore/story sections that might be in that issue :D

Michael
04-29-2017, 07:32 AM
Terrain articles, hobby articles, battle reports.

The battle reports desperately need to go back to the older format with letters representing models and X's showing destroyed models. The last few battle reports have featured confusing jumbles of models from a 6' bird's eye view.

The movement arrows were a great addition to the battle reports.

I would pay real money for true-to-life hobby articles showing, for example, how to clean, repair, remove mold lines on, sand, putty, and gap fill actual PP products such as the PVC warjacks. Articles that focus on "fixing" nearly-pristine master models are often not practically instructive. Show me how to fix a mold line running down the middle of a model's face.

Blueberry_Rex
05-01-2017, 06:26 AM
TThe battle reports desperately need to go back to the older format with letters representing models and X's showing destroyed models. The last few battle reports have featured confusing jumbles of models from a 6' bird's eye view.

The movement arrows were a great addition to the battle reports.

Completely agree with all of this. The battle reports are much more difficult to follow since the swap to pictures of the models.

zorrobard123
05-01-2017, 10:20 AM
I'm a big fan of the battle reports. I also enjoy model reviews and tactics.

de hagley
05-01-2017, 12:22 PM
I'm a big fan of the Gavin Kyle series and the IKRPG stuff. The battle reports seem to be going the way of "Look - the cool new army that is just about to be released has won so must be awesome and you should buy it!" rather than actually being quality battles which isn't ideal.

Munindk
05-01-2017, 10:44 PM
The Gavin Kyle series is great and I like the idea of the Tournament Treat articles, but I think they might be better if written by the tournament winners? I'm not trying to put the staff down, I'm sure they're very capable players but sometimes you see models in the articles, that you'd be hard pressed to find in an actual tournament list.

Greggle
05-04-2017, 06:15 AM
Gavyn Kyle, Pendrake Encounters, and any bit of story or background that fleshes out the universe.

Modern Love
05-08-2017, 07:34 AM
Gavyn Kyle Files, Guts and Gears, IKRPG stuff... Anything which is fluff. Detailed painting guides like the one of Alexia way back when. And nice pics of competition winning models. Less rules, more fluff basically. I have War Room 2 for rules.

Blueberry_Rex
05-08-2017, 08:59 AM
I think I'd rather see fewer painting articles. The P3 Presents series on YouTube is extremely helpful when it comes to getting techniques down and they aren't too helpful to someone who just plays one or two factions. I get that the techniques can be applied to nearly anything, but the painting guides are best used as a paint colors shopping list.

pymander99
05-09-2017, 10:50 AM
I'll throw a vote in for the old set-piece historic battles. They could be fun to play as a game variant, but they also provided really interesting details about major events in the lore and could be converted into great back-drops for IKRPG games set in the appropriate time frame. Combine these with neat battle reports and relevant hobby content and they were good fun.

Of course all of the other stuff people said, too. Especially the recent NQ Games content. ^.^

Straight Line
05-11-2017, 05:52 AM
Everything that can be used out of the book: roleplay scenario's or adventures, tabletop special scenario's (warehouse attack), special rules (Grind, Collosol mania), ...
Completely couldn't be bothered with battle reports or painting tips.

mountainyeti
05-11-2017, 04:21 PM
Gavin Kyle Files by far for me. I also enjoy the theme force fiction that pops up from time to time. Guts and Gears are often enjoyable as well.

Yavasa
05-14-2017, 12:54 AM
Two types of articles I like the most. First of them are the Gavin Kyle files with the wonderfully narrated fluff that adds to the overall feel of the world and second choice of mine are the terrain building and painting articles :)

Adeptus-B
05-18-2017, 10:41 AM
My favorite parts are the hobby stuff, especially terrain-making articles.

Mangod
05-18-2017, 01:48 PM
I enjoy Guts & Gears, especially the older ones with alternative colous schemes, since they used to have a small amount of backstory with them; a tiny bit of fluff that still helped expand the game world. Things like the 44th Assault Battalion (NQ#18) or the Cohorts of Tyrant's Lash (NQ#25). I also enjoy the Gavin Kyle Files.