PDA

View Full Version : Warpborn Skinwalkers - how to use them?

Wolfchild
05-04-2017, 10:49 AM
I've had my Warpborn Skinwalkers (inc Alpha) for a couple of years now and they've never soaked enough hurt or done enough damage to justify their cost.

How do you use them and why are they in your list?

onijet01
05-04-2017, 11:26 AM
It depends on the roll you want with them. They need to hang up on models to maximize their damage. But also need help in order to survive charges that swing their way. They are better played into other medium infantry and light warnouns lists. But can potentially stop a heavy warnouns should the need arise for a turn or two.

Casters that have spells that rebuff enemy armor (like anything touch) work well on them. Inviable resolve is also good should you use them to protect or stop heavy hitting models. (Best vs lights and pow 13 ish ranges)

Some casters can up both arm and she at the cost of spd and def.

Its not always about clearing their points worth off the table but more about making sure they tie up (killing or stopping) more than their points value.

GreenMachine
05-04-2017, 08:06 PM
There a very expensive tarpit. But they hold zones well. Don't expect them to tie up a Jack or a weapon master unit though.

The Captain
05-05-2017, 05:19 AM
I like them with both Morvahnas. Morvahna1 can buff their ARM and make sure that ARM buff stays too, and under her feat the Skinwalkers produce a protective forest wall against retaliation when they beat the enemy front line down. Morvahna2 can give them added accuracy, and more importantly, bring them back to tarpit some more.

Dev Null
05-05-2017, 08:33 AM
Weaponmaster infantry - and let's face it, there's a lot of that out there - make these largely irrelevant. Shame; they're beautiful models.

GreenMachine
05-05-2017, 09:08 AM
Weaponmaster infantry - and let's face it, there's a lot of that out there - make these largely irrelevant. Shame; they're beautiful models.

Dawn Guard, Exemplar Errants, and Exemplar Bastions are the only ones i see in my meta. But Skinwalkers will tarpit better than other Tarpits

They Work really well with pBaldur +2 STR and +2 Arm mean they can actually damage stuff

The Captain
05-07-2017, 04:52 AM

But thanks to 2" melee range, Skinwalkers out-threat most of them. Dawnguard Sentinels equal them, Doom Reavers out-threat them, as do Cylena's Nyss hunters (who, with their mediocre MAT and low P+S may actually leave a Skinwalker alive even when charging). Relentless charge lets them use terrain to gain a threat range advantage over many weaponmaster infantry units. And let's face it, charging weaponmaster infantry wreck most things in the game, so don't blame the tarpit for not surviving something that's supposed to kill everything. Ideally, you kill the weaponmasters with something else, and tarpit the tarpittable.

Wolfchild
05-11-2017, 03:37 PM
Although they have the armour, none of the fluff about Warpborn Skinwalkers is tarpitting. They're a rapid strike force with powerful attacks, yet in game they're little more than an expensive tarpit. As easy to hit as their low defence, most threats can drop any worries about needing to buff MAT/debuf DEF and focus instead on damage.
Is it just because we already had Tharn Ravagers that the essence of Warpborn was lost on the designers?

The Captain
05-12-2017, 07:05 AM
Although they have the armour, none of the fluff about Warpborn Skinwalkers is tarpitting. They're a rapid strike force with powerful attacks, yet in game they're little more than an expensive tarpit. As easy to hit as their low defence, most threats can drop any worries about needing to buff MAT/debuf DEF and focus instead on damage.
Is it just because we already had Tharn Ravagers that the essence of Warpborn was lost on the designers?

The essence wasn't lost on the designers, but yes, they intentionally gave Ravagers and Skinwalkers a different role. The fluff we have about skinwalkers (notably Larry Correia's Into the Wild) does seem to emphasize that Skinwalkers are very difficult to kill; however, we have few, if any, sources that would really support your interpretation on their role in a Circle Orboros army. I haven't had the chance to see the Circle Command book yet, so I don't know if they've rewritten the fluff there, but the Mk2 unit descriptions don't say anything about their being a rapid strike force with powerful attacks; rather, by turning into their beastly forms they become "the perfect hunters" (which, admittedly, doesn't very accurately reflect their role on the gaming table either). It may be that your own expectations about how the unit should work are somewhat coloring your perceptions.

But that's beyond tactical discussion.

Dev Null
05-12-2017, 09:57 AM
And let's face it, charging weaponmaster infantry wreck most things in the game, so don't blame the tarpit for not surviving something that's supposed to kill everything.

Yeah, my comment wasn't meant as a gripe about the Skinwalkers being weak; it was a gripe about weaponmaster infantry breaking certain aspects of the game (IMO, of course.) The Skinwalkers just happen to be one of those aspects.

Aerospider
07-08-2017, 02:35 AM
Using Morvahna2's feat to surround the enemy caster and then minifeat is pretty powerful.

GreenMachine
07-11-2017, 05:58 PM
There a very expensive tarpit. But they hold zones well. Don't expect them to tie up a Jack or a weapon master unit though.

which is 90% of warmachine lol