PDA

View Full Version : [Company of Iron] Spawning Vessel

Leonard_Dukes
10-30-2017, 11:17 AM
I have two questions about the use of the Spawning Vessel in Company of Iron:

Company of Iron Core Rules, Building a Company of Iron, p2

Company of Iron armies cannot include the following model types:

Models with the Focus Manipulation or Fury Manipulation rule, such as warcasters, warlocks, and certain other models

Models that attach to warcasters or warlocks

Large- or huge-based models

Models that cannot move, such as models with the Immobile special rule

From the Spawning Vessel:

Carried - This model is not a warrior model. It can advance only during its unit's Normal Movement. [...]

I don't believe that the "Carried" rule counts as a rule meaning that the Spawning Vessel "cannot move" - it can advance, it simply has restrictions placed on how and when it can do so. Is that interpretation correct?

Spawn Horror - Remove three corpse tokens from this model to place a non-character Faction lesser warbeast into play under your control. Place the warbeast completely within 3" of this model and choose a friendly Faction battlegroup commander. This warbeast becomes part of that battlegroup commander's battlegroup.

"Battlegroup commander" as a rule doesn't exist in Company of Iron. Can a lesser warbeast be put into play by the Spawning Vessel without being added to a battlegroup commander's battlegroup? If so, is it considered wild? If not, is it intended that they be able to be put under the control of a Beast Warden instead (assuming it doesn't take it over their limit of 2 lesser warbeasts)?

zkillz
10-30-2017, 01:42 PM
i believe the technicality of spawn horror never having a battlegroup commander to target, precludes it from being allowed in Company of Iron. it is not on the list of requisition costs.

Leonard_Dukes
10-30-2017, 01:49 PM
i believe the technicality of spawn horror never having a battlegroup commander to target, precludes it from being allowed in Company of Iron. it is not on the list of requisition costs.

Good catch on the Requisition Cost List - I didn't even think to look there. Odd that the unit should be excluded due to the Carried rule - if that is, indeed, the reason. Even if Spawn Horror becomes a useless ability, there are plenty of those floating around on models that are allowed (e.g. the Nephilim Bloodseer's animus, Arcane Suppression).

I guess I'll step back from the Spawn Horror question for a moment, then, and instead just ask: Can the Spawning Vessel be included in a Company of Iron? If not, on what basis?

solkan
10-30-2017, 01:54 PM
"Does not have a requisition cost" seems to be a sufficient reason for exclusion. :-/

Granted, that also seems to be a very easy thing to change...

Leonard_Dukes
10-30-2017, 02:11 PM
"Does not have a requisition cost" seems to be a sufficient reason for exclusion. :-/

Or a simple typo/omission.

The unit is available in War Room and is listed as having a requisition cost of 0.

DarkLegacy
11-15-2017, 09:16 PM
From the Insider:

Models that can’t move without help are not currently covered in the Company of Iron rules. This includes models which can move only if they are within a certain range of another model, like the Legion of Everblight Spawning Vessel. If you are ever unsure if a model is included in Company of Iron, check the Requisition Cost PDF (http://files.privateerpress.com/companyofiron/COI_RequisitionCostList.pdf). If the model isn’t listed there, then it isn’t intended to be used without talking it over with your opponent.
http://privateerpress.com/community/privateer-insider/insider-11-10-2017