PDA

View Full Version : [Company of Iron] Animi that target a Warbeast Pack

Leonard_Dukes
10-31-2017, 11:55 AM
Company of Iron Core Rules, Units, p12

If a special rule targets a model/unit, it affects a model normally. However, it only affects the models in the chosen unit who are in, or begin an activation in, the range of the rule.

Example: Archduke Alain Runewood’s Path to Victory special rule says, “RNG 5. Target friendly Faction warrior model/unit. If the model/unit is in range, it gains +2 to charge attack rolls. Path to Victory lasts for one turn.” When resolving this rule, the Runewood player would first choose which unit to target. The target unit can be any unit card in the player’s army. The player chooses their Sword Knight unit. For the rest of the player’s turn, any model from the chosen unit who begins an activation within 5˝ of Runewood gains +2 to charge attack rolls during that activation. Since Path to Victory lasts for one turn, after the player has activated their last model for the round, the effect expires.

Company of Iron Advanced Rules, Animi, p7

An animus can target only one model, even if its rule allows it to target a model/unit.

Hornet's Nest - When a model in target friendly Faction warbeast pack destroys an enemy model [...]

Hornet's Nest is an animus that targets a "warbeast pack" (itself a type of unit), not a "model/unit". There doesn't appear to be any allowance for it to target a single model.

My question is: Can Hornet's Nest be cast on a member of a warbeast pack and, if so, does it only affect that single model or will it also affect other members of that warbeast pack as long as they begin their activation within the animus' range of the caster?

solkan
10-31-2017, 03:52 PM
According to the Animi rule, Hornet's Nest only affects the target warbeast, not the warbeast unit.

Remember that even "target unit" effects target a single model and then apply to either just the model or the entire unit.

Leonard_Dukes
10-31-2017, 06:31 PM
According to the Animi rule, Hornet's Nest only affects the target warbeast, not the warbeast unit.

Remember that even "target unit" effects target a single model and then apply to either just the model or the entire unit.

Well, like I said in the original post - part of the question is whether the phrase "target warbeast pack" is supposed to be treated as mechanically identical to "target model/unit" (with the restriction that it must target a member of a warbeast pack).

As for the Animi rules, they only specify that an animus only targets a single model (even if it specifies "target model/unit"), but I don't see why the first section I quoted on units and special rules wouldn't apply in such a case, as well - that is, that even though a single member is targeted, multiple members could still be affected as long as they are within appropriate range.

DarkLegacy
11-15-2017, 09:03 PM
Checking...