PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye No Quarter... hello new website! (hopes and dreams)

Chikahiro
10-12-2018, 02:18 PM
So, old news by now, but I want to pick out one section:
http://privateerpress.com/no-quarter-prime/farewell-to-no-quarter-prime

We will miss the pallets of freshly printed magazines showing up and shipping out of our warehouse every two months the way one would miss a great friendship that is ending after so many years. But we are excited to be able to bring players of all of Privateer’s games more streaming and downloadable content in the future. Over the coming weeks and months, we’ll continue to dig into the nooks and crannies of the Iron Kingdoms, expand upon the iconic Factions of WARMACHINE and HORDES, and cover the latest events in a world besieged by a Monsterpocalypse, all through content delivered via our website. And we’ve even got a brand-new website design to unveil soon that will make this digital content all the more pleasing to digest.

So! I'm assuming easier navigation, which will be great. Better organization? Great. But that's sort of vague. What do I want/hope for specifically?

Mobile friendly/responsive design. At this point I check PP stuff on my phone and my tablet (Surface Pro). Each has different layout needs. I doubt I'm alone!
Either a wiki or glossary of the rules, terms, etc. Corvus Belli has done this for two of their games, and its super helpful.
Regular releases of content. Art, photos, stories, IKRPG material, whatever. They who shall not be named do a fantastic job with this on their community website, having 2-3 bits of something every day. That'd be good.
Content replication and notifications. A "Live on Twitch!" notification would be good (is it easily doable? No idea!). But whenever something is put up on Twitter, Youtube, Twitch, someone goes on a show like Beasts of War or something... anything! It should be posted about on the front page so new people who don't know everywhere PP is can see everywhere PP is. Likewise, that post should hit the forum announcements as soon as it hits. Extra work, I know... maybe there's a way to automate it?
Community Showcase. IKRPG, WarmaHordes, COI, MonPoc, Level 7, whatever... feature painted minis, podcasts, house-rules/homebrew stuff, etc.
RSS feed!

I love PP, and I want people to see how much cool stuff is out there :)

Xenock
10-18-2018, 04:42 AM
And here I was looking to subscribe to a paper magazine now that Monsterpocalypse has been released. It would have been nice to have something to read while away from a computer. I guess I will have to keep searching now.

Chikahiro
10-18-2018, 10:32 AM
The logistics of print kind of suck to be honest. I don't exactly blame them. I worked in newspaper production for 14 years and hope never to return if I don't have to.

orgi1bctt
10-26-2018, 03:45 AM
Are we still able to get past copies?

Chikahiro
11-01-2018, 06:44 PM
Are we still able to get past copies?

Digitally seems to be no problem. Physical? I think so but would expect it to depend on inventory.

https://store.privateerpress.com/books-magazines/no-quarter?pp_format=83

Right now there's 80 digital issues, and 59 physical issues (yet somehow 53 available as "both").

TimberWolfAu
01-29-2019, 06:30 PM
Welcome 2019 (almost February) and no new website in sight. Personally, I would have had the new website ready to go with the next NQP date after it had been cancelled, at the very least ready to drop in the new year.

Add in it's been years since the we got novels (which where going to be the great new way of advancing the story in the absence of fluff in army books, forget that any story advancement in this manner is tiny unless novels are released regularly) and it's starting to look like things are going down the drain.

The Captain
01-29-2019, 11:47 PM
Add in it's been years since the we got novels (which where going to be the great new way of advancing the story in the absence of fluff in army books, forget that any story advancement in this manner is tiny unless novels are released regularly) and it's starting to look like things are going down the drain.
Err, it's been a year and a half since Aftershock was released, and the next book is in the works in tandem with this year's organized play events. Consider, for example, the wait between books in the A Song of Ice and Fire series, which people still seem to love despite having to actually wait for years. Your definition of "going down the drain" may be different from mine. (That said, the quality of said novels shows that Aeryn Rudel is not a very experienced novelist, but that's a different matter than not getting books released at all.)

Hubert J. Farnsworth
02-01-2019, 10:42 AM
The next part of Acts of War is actually out and has been for a couple weeks: http://privateerpress.com/organized-play/winter-rampage

TimberWolfAu
02-09-2019, 11:29 PM
Oh well, at least we get something. Heres hoping it goes the corvus belli route rather than the GW route of letting players have direct input on ongoing story/fluff.

Now how about something for the other 10+ factions? Whats Circle up to these days? How about Cryx? What are the trolls doong about a nice homeland?

Even on a smaller layer, we get new units but no fluff for them since PP aren't doing the faction/theme books. Circle get a new warlock in Iona. Apparently she's unseen but why is she unseen? Without fluff shes just Circle warlock #whatever. A new character unit in Brighad and Caul but again who are they?

Seriosuly, can we getbthe story and fluff back.

The Captain
02-10-2019, 04:20 AM
A new character unit in Brighad and Caul but again who are they?

Since you ask...

http://privateerpress.com/community/privateer-insider/iron-kingdoms-tales-a-friendly-reminder

TimberWolfAu
02-10-2019, 05:44 AM
Oh how nice, so one has to live and breath the website (which still hasn't been update as promised). Still, how about Iona, or any of the other new units/models, or even other factions? Seriously, what is happening on Caen? There's more to the story than just Cygnar/Stryker, that's what made the books worth while, they expanded the story, kept it feeling alive, not stagnant like GW was.

As can probably be told, my frustration at this point isn't being helped by these sort of things. Unfortunately, it seems like one of the main things that got me into this game appears to have been tossed aside, and with virtual no local gaming scene there's little left for me.

The Captain
02-10-2019, 11:20 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get more stories too. But someone has to write those stories - someone who probably wants to get paid for the job. And if those stories don't sell well enough, the company can't afford to hire authors. What we get now may be sporadic, but it's free.

The reason PP pulled the plug on No Quarter wasn't because they didn't want to publish a magazine, or because they didn't have enough content for it. It was because it wasn't cost-effective. It's unfortunate, but it would appear that PP doesn't reach a wide enough audience that mass producing fiction would be profitable.

cyroMAX
02-11-2019, 12:58 PM
It’s a double whammy really. No Quarter was backing up on the background/story content anyway, the focus being on deep background, events and pivotal characters. Add in the lack of faction books, and the models start to become a selection of stats, the game becomes more mathematical. Don’t get me wrong, certain players love that kind of focus and list building.

I like to play competitive lists, yes, however some of my favourite lists to play are the characterful ones, like my Fun Luvin’ Criminals list, which takes the worst of Khador, all based on the background information published in the older edition books. It’s fun to play regardless of results.

The newer models don’t engage me as much, despite being interesting rules and the models looking great, I don’t know enough about them, how they came to be, where they have fought, who championed them, and other interesting background facts.

I would really love to get that kind of depth back into the game, and can’t really see a way of having that done currently, so, yeah. I am looking forward to new creative content and a new website to share this kind of information with Privateer Press customers.

The Captain
02-11-2019, 11:50 PM
Indeed, the lore and background published by PP is a way to engage (a part of) their customer base and make them interested in the products. Several of my friends would never have got involved in PP products if it wasn't for the setting's attraction. Thus even if it doesn't bring money in directly, publishing stories can still profit the company indirectly. Unfortunately it's pretty much impossible to even estimate the scope of this effect, and thus impossible to calculate where the line between reasonably profitable and redundant is.