PDA

View Full Version : Good Omens and Fate Blessed - a follow-up question to the previous rulling.

spencerthomas
07-15-2010, 10:26 AM
Previous Discussion:
https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?23377-Good-Omens-and-Fate-Blessed&highlight=calandra

I agree with the ruling that you can not reroll dice on the Initial roll due to Good Omens then reroll the entire set due to Fate Blessed and once again take advantage of Good Omens. The dispute I have is the closing statement of:

"If you decide to re-roll some of the dice with the feat, you are done with the feat for that roll."

Nothing in the wording of the feat discribes this. The feat descibes that any specfic die can only be rerolled once due to the feat. I can see the simplicity in this but I do not agree that my following example is not following by the feats discription.

I will use an Impaler that is trying to trigger his critical slam effect while under Good Omens and within Calandra's control range.

The Impaler attacks and opts to boost his roll, thus his attack roll is 3d6.
The player rolls 3 dice, each a differant color: red, blue, green.
Initial Roll:
1 (red)
2 (blue)
5 (green)

The player opts to use Good Omens feat to reroll the Red and Blue dice.
The Modified Intial Roll:
4 (red)
3 (blue)
5 (green)

At this point the player decides to use Fate Blessed to reroll the entire set of dice.
ReRolled Dice:
4 (red)
6 (blue)
2 (green)

At this stage the Impaler is still under the effect of the feat and the Green die has not been rerolled in the previous steps. By Good Omens wording that "Each die can be rerolled once due to Good Omens" Green is allowed its reroll on the attack roll.

Mod_Redphantasm
07-15-2010, 10:44 AM
I agree with the ruling that you can not reroll dice on the Initial roll due to Good Omens then reroll the entire set due to Fate Blessed and once again take advantage of Good Omens. The dispute I have is the closing statement of:

Colored dice or not, by your own statement you're agreeing that if Good Omens was used on the original roll, you cannot use good omens on the re-roll.

While true that the feat states nothing on the subject, I think the ruling is quite clear and designed to cause the minimum of confusion in play. After all, not all of us use multi-colored dice.

Tionas
07-15-2010, 12:15 PM
I think your over complicating what can actually be looked at very simply.

The feat gives you an option, once, to re-roll ones and twos. at the point that you choose to re-roll ones and twos, you are forfeiting any other chance to roll the last die, and your done with the feat for that roll.

and, as well, its not really up to dispute. the Infernals (read: those who have checked with the game designers and made sure) have mentioned that you only get to use the feat as a "one shot," and thats how it is, because someone has to have the final say, and its them.

:)

spencerthomas
07-16-2010, 11:43 AM
@Redphantasm - I am not contradicting myself because the rule states that a Die itself cannot be rerolled more than once. In the example green had never been rerolled by Good Omens yet to previous ruling states that it cannot be.

@Tionas - I beleive you are over simplifing it. It states that each die that rolls a 1 or 2 may be rerolled once. Your second statement that is that I forfeit rerolling the green die is no where supported in the wording of the feat. This is why I am asking for the clarification. If they are ammend how the feat fuctions then we need an errata with more clear wording. With offical erratas they can be printed and store at the FLGS rather than being the conjecture of 'I read it on the rules forums".

NmoLvr
07-16-2010, 12:03 PM
It doesn't say each die can be re-rolled whenever you want anytime during that models activation. It says 'on an attack or damage roll.' That means you can pick any attack or damage roll you want, but only one, to use the feat on. Any of the dice in that roll that are a 1 or a 2 can be re-rolled one time right then. When you choose to do that, you've used the feat for that model and it can't be used again.

In your example, the first roll of 1, 2, 5 is the roll you chose to use the feat on. You can re-roll the 1 and the 2 per the wording of the feat. You could then use Fate Blessed to re-roll them all and get a 4, 3, 5 like in your example, but now you've already moved past the attack roll that you used the feat on. No more feat for that model. You're stuck with the 4,3,5.

Tionas
07-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Im not trying to convince you, the Infernal has spoken, thats how it is. I'm defending why the infernals words make sense.

Macallan
07-25-2010, 04:12 AM
There will not be erratum on that one.