PDA

View Full Version : New Charge

Tionas
07-16-2010, 12:15 PM
There is a strange interpretation that I want to make sure I don't just dismiss as someones hair brained idea.

The new line in Charging, as of the Eratta read like this:

Once the charge target is in the charging model?s melee range, it
must stay in the charging model?s melee range for the entire charge.

is this a compulsion placed on the Target model, that disallows, say, watcher and admonition moves from taking effect before the charge attack? While there are some very interesting applications of this such as:
normally, admonition happens after a single model ends its movement, even if part of a unit. If it is now relegated to after a charge attack, when would the model move? after all the charge attacks had been made? after the charge attack of a chosen model? is the model forced to make its charge attack first, and then the target of admonition moves away?

or, is this, like I read it originally, an onus on the charging model to keep the target in range and not run past it?

thanks.

jandrese
07-16-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm sure the latter was the intent, but the former might be the rule as strictly written. It also has an odd interaction with Bulldoze, since you can theoretically push the model out of your melee range before finishing your movement.

vintersbastard
07-16-2010, 12:31 PM
The term "charge," if I understand it correctly, only refers to the movement of the charging model. Admonition is resolved after that, so it is not prevented by the phrasing that "it must stay in the charging model’s melee range for the entire charge."

I'm basing my interpretation on this:

A charging model that ends its charge movement with its charge target in its melee range has made a successful charge.
What happens after that apparently doesn't pertain to the fact that the charging model has done a charge.

(By this interpretation, all the spell casting shenanigans of some casters are also still fine.)

Tionas
07-16-2010, 12:37 PM
ok. well, that makes sense. with nothing connecting a "successful charge" to a "charge attack" except an If/Then statement. that makes sense. (not sarcastic)

JTY
07-16-2010, 12:42 PM
So we don't have to attack when we charge now?

That's good to know. Makes all those failed charges and ended activation woes go away doesn't it.

drugar101
07-16-2010, 12:44 PM
look at the context of this replaced sentence its abundantly clear that this restriction is only placed on the charging model.

Tionas
07-16-2010, 12:46 PM
the charge part is linked to movement. and then IF you finish your charge(movement) with the target in your melee range, you must make a melee attack, and because that attack is after a charge, it is boosted. its split. move(charge) and action(charge attack) the split between the two is what allows people do to all the spells and other things after moving but before making a charge attack (say, Tartarus Curse, or Asphyxious's parasite)

themocaw
07-16-2010, 12:51 PM
I think it's a badly worded way of trying to stop people from charging past a model. I might have said something like, "Once the target model enters the charging model's melee range, it must remain in melee range until the charging model finishes its charge movement."

rydiafan
07-16-2010, 12:54 PM
I think it's a badly worded way of trying to stop people from charging past a model. I might have said something like, "Once the target model enters the charging model's melee range, it must remain in melee range until the charging model finishes its charge movement."

That's good. Alternately, "Once the target model enters the charging model's melee range, the charging model cannot advance in such a way that the target model leaves the charging model's melee range."

Rynth
07-16-2010, 12:56 PM
So we don't have to attack when we charge now?

That's good to know. Makes all those failed charges and ended activation woes go away doesn't it.

No, you still have to make an attack. However, the movement and the attack are no longer simultaneous like they were in MK1.

TheUnknownMercenary
07-16-2010, 01:38 PM
The errata for Charging was because by the old rules, the charging model did not have to stop once it got into melee with it's charge target and it could choose to continue it's movement and leave the charge target's melee range. The errata has fixed this and now when you charge a model you have to stop the charge while you are in the target model's melee range.

ycoseth
07-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Wait, so you HAVE to make a charge attack? For example:

eCaine charges his own model, then Gatecrashes into my caster. Is he required (before Gatecrashing) to make an attack on his model?

jandrese
07-16-2010, 01:50 PM
No, he made the successful charge by moving into melee range of his target, however by the time he actually gets around to swinging the sword that model is not in melee range anymore (because he gatecrashered away) so he has to retarget.

Mootaz
07-16-2010, 08:43 PM
This erratum only fixes the "overcharging", it does not suddenly grant "force lock" or something to charging models.
"for the entire" charge means the charge movement.
Things like Admonition, etc. work like before.

vintersbastard
07-17-2010, 03:13 AM
Thank you very much.:)

Yaum
07-17-2010, 03:36 AM
Excellent.