PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Strike/Sprint and timing

Dark Fledgling
07-16-2010, 12:18 PM
There was a big long thread on this at one point. The question is, can the Warpwolf Stalker (or its controlling warlock) kill something during its activation and then with its left over fury, give itself the lightning strike animus for sprint, end its activation, and walk away.

I don't want to debate on what people think it "should" be. I've already decided on that. What I would like to know is if there has been any official ruling on the subject.

I could not find one, but then again there is no longer a "this week in review" that I can look at to see what is still on the list. Thanks in advance.

-DF

TheUnknownMercenary
07-16-2010, 01:16 PM
You cannot trigger an ability before a model actually has the ability. It has to have to sprint first.

Dark Fledgling
07-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Did an infernal confirm it? Cause I would love a link to the ruling if you got it.

-DF

absent
07-16-2010, 09:19 PM
merc's got it right, no purple ever confirmed it however.

Dantes
07-16-2010, 10:53 PM
The Infernal said they would check but would make no ruling either way.

If it were as easy as Merc would like to think it is he would have just laid the hammer down.

The fact that this ruling isn't in the FAQ is even more disheartening.

Stevo
07-16-2010, 11:12 PM
The Infernal said they would check but would make no ruling either way.

If it were as easy as Merc would like to think it is he would have just laid the hammer down.

The fact that this ruling isn't in the FAQ is even more disheartening.

It's an errata, not an FAQ which is why this question isn't addressed. Now pMadrak's feat, that's another story...

The Stinger Animus has a similar issue. It grants Bushwhack. Clearly you would have to have Bushwhack prior to making your combat action in order to use it. Seems to me that Sprint would work exactly the same way.

Dantes
07-16-2010, 11:38 PM
It's an errata, not an FAQ which is why this question isn't addressed. Now pMadrak's feat, that's another story...

The Stinger Animus has a similar issue. It grants Bushwhack. Clearly you would have to have Bushwhack prior to making your combat action in order to use it. Seems to me that Sprint would work exactly the same way.
Bushwhack alter the course of the coming turn. Sprint looks back at a turn that has already happened.

And yes an Errata is in order. Five words added to the text of sprint makes the issue crystal clear and work in the manner Merc describes.

Keladryel
07-17-2010, 12:51 AM
You cannot trigger an ability before a model actually has the ability. It has to have to sprint first.

Sprint - At the end of its activation, if a model with Sprint destroyed one or more enemy models with melee attacks this activation it can make a full advance.

For me this looks like it would. It triggers at the end of the turn and it checks if the model that has this ability destroyed enemy models. It's not an ability that activates directly on kill it only checks if kills were made.

So i guess the ambiguous part you guys see there is "with Sprint"? Saying that it checks that this model must have killed enemies while having sprint? I can see how you could read it like that if you really wanted to, but most of the times when i read it i wouldn't see that as a requirement for it to trigger it checks at the end of the activation and at that point the model is both: a model with sprint and a model that killed enemy models and should get the advance.

absent
07-17-2010, 04:13 AM
search for the ability, read the 70 page thread and each angle has been covered it's in "checking"status still, not much to debate.

Macallan
07-25-2010, 11:33 AM
This is correct.

absent
07-25-2010, 11:52 AM
Well done, thanks