PDA

View Full Version : Trample over Saeryn's feat?

Loxam
07-29-2010, 08:04 AM
Just wondering,

Seems a trample attack just says you make an attack against contacted models, not target them - can you trample over models effected by Saeryn's feat?

TheUnknownMercenary
07-29-2010, 08:13 AM
Tramples do not target any models, you make a melee attack roll against the models that you trample.

Loxam
07-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks, thought so :)

Kypt
07-29-2010, 08:24 AM
Tramples do not target any models, you make a melee attack roll against the models that you trample.

Not sure I agree with that. In order to make an attack you target. It's part of the process for attacks, regardless of how they're granted. You can move over the models no problem, but unless trample is worded with "make attack rolls" instead of "make an attack" you will not be able to do it.

Nalik
07-29-2010, 08:30 AM
Been discussed before, so unless trample got reworded in MKII there's no target for a trample. You move freely in any straight line, unlike a charge where you must select a target and move in a straight line and end directly facing your target.

Kypt
07-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Do you have a link for the discussions? All ones I've seen have been inconclusive. A charge requires a target to initiate the charge, that is correct but irrelevant to you requiring targets for melee attacks. Even if you don't charge and make an attack to someone else you need to target, it's part of the attacking process (there's a graph somewhere in the rules). So unless trample states that you make attack rolls (instead of just attacks) then you're targeting each and everyone of those models you trample.

TheUnknownMercenary
07-29-2010, 08:44 AM
Not sure I agree with that. In order to make an attack you target. It's part of the process for attacks, regardless of how they're granted. You can move over the models no problem, but unless trample is worded with "make attack rolls" instead of "make an attack" you will not be able to do it.

Actually it says make a MELEE ATTACK ROLL, right in the entry for Trample, which I read before I posted my answer.
Prime page 56 First Sentence, Left Column:

After the model has finished its trample movement, it makes a melee attack roll against each small-based model it contacted.

Primal page 56 First Sentence of the second paragraph, Left Column:

After the model has finished its trample movement, it makes a melee attack roll against each small-based model it contacted.

Kypt
07-29-2010, 08:49 AM
That's all I needed to know, thank you very much :) (didn't have the book with me).

toxicwisdom
01-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Sorry for the threadomancy, but a player at our LGS dug this up for a related situation during a league game. And now (years later) I was hoping to clarify the Trample vs Saeryn's feat topic - since as per the errata Trample has been changed to melee attack... so the new answer would be Saeryns feat trumps Trample, correct ?

Valander
01-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Necro threads typically get locked without reading. ;)

But, in this case, I wanted to say that while the "new answer" is correct, it will change shortly to be the old answer...