PDA

View Full Version : AOE into melee deviation question.

Merlin77
08-04-2010, 07:47 AM
As the title suggests I have a question regarding the deviation of AOE in melee:

Specific example:

* I move Gorman Di Wulf (GDW) up to an enemy caster, stopping 1" short so as not to engage in melee with a view to using his Black Oil attack.
* Enemy caster is already engaged in melee with one model, so an additional -4 to hit applies.
* GDW misses the enemy caster as you'd expect.

At this point does GDW have to try and hit the other model engaged in melee with the enemy caster in the example above and if it misses this model also it is a complete miss?

Or,

Do I follow the rules for AOE deviation and cunningly only scatter a maximum of 0.5 inches, thus hitting enemy caster with said Black Oil?

I've read the book a few times and feel the later is the answer, but I aren't 100% sure as I'm pretty new to Wm/H so felt asking the community would help in this instance.

Thanks for any responses.

jandrese
08-04-2010, 07:56 AM
Read the last sentence in the "shooting into melee" rules again.

In short: No, AoE attacks do not go through the "find a second target and make another attack if you miss" thing that regular ranged/magic attacks do. It will scatter from the center of the enemy caster's base, so as long as you are within about 4" or so, it will automatically hit.

Merlin77
08-04-2010, 08:22 AM
Ah cheers, I completely missed that all so important last sentence, probably because it is sandwiched between the two examples and the AOE attacks bit!

Good point on not having to be so close too, as the deviation from GDW's Black Oil will have full effect regardless of the amount of enemy base being covered.

Many thanks

NmoLvr
08-04-2010, 08:24 AM
An area-of-effect attack that misses a target in melee deviates normally instead of following these rules. Spray attack rolls that miss a model in melee do not follow these rules; they simply miss.

'These rules' refer to the stuff about choosing another target and such. AOEs just deviate normally even if you're shooting into melee.

Edit: I'm too late!! :)