PDA

View Full Version : The Adventures of Allister Caine( a stage play)

fire4effekt
08-30-2010, 06:13 PM
The wild lands around the Iron Kingdoms are a savage place. It?s a place where small western style houses with huge steam boilers are commonplace and cobblestone roads are littered with scraps of metal and the occasional corpse. It was a savage place inhabited by rouge warcasters and their infernal machines. Magic is practiced by many and many use it for their personal gain. Even few wield an even deadlier power, the warcasters. Warcasters have the power to telepathically control a cortex inside of a warjack. The cortex is plainly put is a simple robot brain. These cortexes are made by mechanical alchemists, a rare breed, part genius, part mad scientist. The simple cortexes of yesteryear gave birth to the familiar laborjack, the lumbering steel giants you see moving freight or harvesting fields. Their coal powered souls gave birth to the warjack, it was only inevitable. Warjacks battled tirelessly across border disputes and even internally within the kingdoms. Warjacks come in many shapes and sizes but make mistake, they have only one job, to reap death wherever they go. Warcasters have the gift, or curse that allows them to control the delicate cortex. Warjacks are deadly but with a warcaster controlling its actions then heaven help you. The warcasters also have mastered the more deadly mystical arts and can unleash anything from stopping time, to calling forth lightning from a clear sky. This gives warcasters unprecedented access to all of their countries armories, and can order more troops at any time. The warcasters that inhabit the wild lands aren?t so lucky. Wrong choices in life have led them here where they use various connections and their gifts to secure a foothold and form their own gang, or join another?s. They use all their resources to acquire warjacks, coal, food, men, anything that will allow them to impose their will and fight their own private battles. Some casters are backed secretly by their country?s crown; some are just bored rich people who love a good tussle. This is a story about one of those kinds of men, Jeremiah Kraye. Kraye is a large slender man. He stands around six foot, two and his young face is framed by thick dark mutton chops. His long leather duster hides the royal blues of a ex Cygnarian officer. His civil war style hat reveals he was cavalry; he carries a long rifle named Reason, and his cavalry sword from his service years. Outside this Jail house his horse Maligant waits. Also in the Jail house is Alistair Caine. Caine stands around six foot, and his neatly parted black hair is starting to reveal a bit of silver. His face is hardened from all the things he seen, his eyes are cold and his face is perpetually suffering from graying five o?clock shadow. He wears a leather duster as well and his Cygnarian officer blues are clean and sharp. He keeps them that way for the ladies, and he does get them. On his hips he holds his trust spellstorm pistols, and they are literally an extension of his will. His intentions are a complex web over overlapping missions given to him by various offices. Kraye however knows none of this, he just knows that Caine is one of the finest soldiers he has had the pleasure to serve with. How these two men got here is another story, but this one has something to do with a mule.
Kraye walks to the window of the jail house and pulls the curtain back checking on his horse.

Kraye
? I don?t know about the Caine. Are you sure we should have left Malignant out there as bait, he just looks so lonely.?
Caine is sitting at the jailers desk with his feet up and reclining back and cleaning his pistol.

Caine
?Look he?ll be fine. The commodore isn?t a violent type, but feel I should handle him on my own ground.?

Kraye drops the curtain and turns to face Caine and steps forward.
Kraye
? But I still don?t see what that has to do with my horse.?
Caine looks up at Kraye.
Caine
?That is because he saw me riding away from his ship last night on him.?

Kraye clenching his fists into balls stands opposite the desk.
Kraye
?Caine, if anything would of happened, I??

Caine interrupts.
Caine
?Nothing did happen, trust me I treat your horse with the utmost respect, I know that your horse is your life in the cavalry. I just had to use him to go and peek on what the Commodore is up to.?

Kraye
?What did you find??

Caine puts his feet down and stands up holstering his pistol. He reaches into his duster pocket and pulls out a small hexagon made of bronze.
Caine
?This is what he is up to Kraye. This is the limiter cap from a laborjack.?

Kraye
?Then that means??

Caine
?Exactly. That means that someone is unhappy with their job and is about to go postal.?

Kraye
?We need to alert the Commodore, he and his family might be in danger.?

Caine
?And that is why I need your horse out front. So he will know where to find me. But now I need you to do me a favor.?
Kraye
?What do you need Alistair??
Kraye says leaning on the desk with both hands and looking down at the worn wood.
Caine
?I need you to lock me in that cell.?
Alistair points at the cell.
?And I need ya to tell a bit of a story. When the Commodore asks I was locked here since last night drinkin? off a bender.?
Kraye
?Wow, you really want me to stretch the truth there huh??
Caine
?Just do it funny guy.?
Kraye
? Sure, but you?ll have tell me the story another time.?
Kraye smiles and walks Caine to the cell.
?Now get in there and look, tired. And hide your guns.?
Caine goes into the cell and pulls off his duster; he hides his gun belt under the jacket and hides one of the pistols under his thigh as he sits at the edge of the bunk. Caine tussles his hair just as the Commodore enters the jail house.
Commodore
?Caine I got you now! I saw you snooping around my wife again didn?t I? Don?t try to deny it I saw you ride off into moonlight.?
Kraye shoots Caine a look that screams ?we are talking about this later?
Caine
?What are you muttering about there Commodore??
Kraye
?I?m sorry you must be mistaken commodore, Caine was here since early last evening. You see this jack *** was running around town square shooting his pistols in the air piss drunk. The worst part is that it was still daylight and he was found without pants.?
Caine holds his head in his hands and turns bright red from embarrassment.
Caine
?Its going to be a tough one to live down Commodore. But I have a splitting head ache and I would prefer you take your accusations elsewhere.?
Commodore
?Don?t you sit there and lie to may face. Your both in on this.?
The commodore points menacingly at both men and sneers.
Kraye
?It?s the truth Commodore, Caine is a dirty drunken pants less buffoon. But he isn?t your man. I ran into your man after breakfast this morning, riding my horse none they less. When I found him near the stables I shot him dead.?
Kraye looks coldly at the Commodore.
?You don?t take a man?s life without the willingness to lose your own.?
Commodore
?I see, well then if the matter is settled??
Kraye
?It?s not. You see on the man I found a small bronze item. A laborjack limiter cap, someone on your ship is about to take things into his own hands. If you know what I mean.?
Commodore
?I see, and you believe this person may want to harm me? Why would anyone want to harm me, I treat all of my workers fairly and I pay them a moder??
The commodore breaks out laughing.
Commodore
?Oh, I almost said that with a straight face. Yes I do believe this could be detrimental to my health. What will you do to stop it??
Kraye
?Well seeing as you?re an ambassador from Khador, I feel my hands on this situation are tied commodore.?
Commodore
?Well there must be something, perhaps you could ask about town??
Kraye
? I suppose I could check around and see if there is anyone talking about this. I think it would be better if you would allow me access to your ship.?
Commodore
? Khador maritime laws will not allow Cygnarian forces to board our ships, no matter the conditions. For this I am sorry but if I don?t follow my own rules what am I but a pants less buffoon?
The commodore shoots an angry glance at Caine who returns the sneer.
Kraye
?Well then, I will start asking about town in a little while, now if you excuse me, I have a matter I was involved with before you arrived.?
Commodore
?Very well then, yes I will be on my way. Do try to keep that filth off the street.?
Commodore darts a hand out at Caine pointing angrily.
?Thank for your Time sheriff Kraye, I look forward to hearing from you.?
The commodore leaves and Kraye peeks out the windows to ensure he is gone. He fumbles with the jail keys and lets Caine out of the cell who has already put his holsters back on and is putting on his duster.
Kraye
?So?hangin around his wife again??
Kraye says smirking.
Caine
?Shut up just let me out of here. We got to find out what?s going on with the limiter cap.?
Kraye
? I think I have a feeling, and I believe we?ll find our answers on his ship.?
Caine
?But how are we going to get there??
Kraye
?You?re going on a date, with Mrs.Commodore.?
Caine
?Works for me.?

fire4effekt
08-30-2010, 06:14 PM
Later that afternoon Caine and Kraye are standing on the docks overlooking the Commodore?s mooring. Kraye is leaning on a crate looking through a spy glass. Caine is standing behind him using a magic power called mage sight. He is deep in concentration and when his eyes open they glow pale blue as the essence flows through him. He chants softly without saying a word and his hands have glowing blue runes floating in a ring about them. He extends his hand and rests it upon Kraye?s shoulder, his eyes glow blue and the two men share one vision while doing this.
Kraye
?The magesight your picked up really helps for this. I can?t believe you can see right through wood. It must be a peeper?s delight. Now I see why you like it.?
Caine
?Ha ha funny guy. Just look for anything suspicious. I?m seeing something dark near the bottom of the ship bring the spyglass down and scan down there.?
Kraye
?? are you seeing what I?m seeing??
Caine
?And only what your seeing, but yeah. It appears the Commodore is up to something, and it involves a lot of labor jacks.?

Kraye
?They look like they?ve been refitted with weapons. I think we have a problem Caine.?
Caine
? He couldn?t possibly run all of those at once could he? I didn?t think the Commodore had that kind of will.?
Commodore
?Well think again.?
The sudden arrival of the Commodore startle the two me from mage sight and their eyes return to normal only to gaze upon the Commodore with a lumbering laborjack affectionately called the mule. The mule is painted in military green paint and its steel pistons are covered with thick grease. Its boiler chugs smoke into the air and its deep set eyes glow with coal fire. The mule is carrying a large crate in one hand and a large Steel hammer the size of a man?s torso in the other.
Commodore
?It seems as my wife has more than one admirer. How shameful that it was you Kraye. I liked you, you WERE an honest man. And you Caine, well you had this coming.?
The commodore?s eyes glow red and the Mule stands a bit taller, It raises the crate high in the air and spikes it downward at the two men shattering it to bits. Caine and Kraye jump back and draw weapons. Caines eyes glow blue and he pulls out spellstorm pistols now covered in glowing blue runes. Kraye brings his fingers out and whistles for Maligant with no outcome.
Caine
?I?ve been waiting for this day Commodore, you know after I beat you, I think I?ll celebrate with your wife.?
The Commodore?s face turns to an evil grimace and red lightning starts to crawl on his arms. He raises his arms into a double hammer fist and brings them down sending fat red lightning crackling down the pier ripping boards as it goes. The two men dive and dodge out of the way. The mule advances around the torn boards and lumbers towards Caine, it raises its hammer high into the air and prepares to strike. It stops motionless as Caine looks on puzzled.
Caine
?What?s going on??
Kraye
?I?ve got it under control, you?re not the only one who picked up a few tricks. Please move though because it is ever so tiring.?
Caine rolls aside and fires his spellstorm pistols into the under arm of the mule damaging its pistons and causing the arm to drop, sparking.
Caine
?Well it seems I broke your toy Commodore. What are you going to do now.?
Commodore
?Think again.?
The commodore refocuses his mind and the arm of the mule sparks back to life, its jerky movements raise the hammer skyward and bring it down narrowly missing Caine but sending him sprawling across the decks, one of his pistols falling into the open hole and into the sea below. The tremor blows more chunks of the dock away and it turns its attention towards Kraye who fights for control with the Commodore.
Commodore
?What?s the matter Caine, no witty comeback for losing one of your precious pistols? The loss must be terrible. Good news is you won?t have to mourn for it when you?re dead.?
Caine
?Do you have any suggestions where I should take your wife? I need someplace nice to forget about that time I made you a stain on the docks.?
Caine gets up shaking the loose debris off of him and he raises his pistol.
Caine
?You?re gonna like this one Kraye, pay attention.?
Caine chants softly to himself and his pistol starts to glow from blue to white. The energy seems to move down the barrel and sit at the end of the gun and it sparks electricity around the barrel and Caine?s arm. Caine aims at the Mule and fires. A huge white flare strikes the Mule in the chest and electrical bolts surge over its body. The jack shudders and twitches as the energy dissipates. The coal fire glow goes dark and the behemoth teeters.
Caine
?Hey Commodore, you?ve been?Thunderstruck.?
Caine says as he holsters his pistol and the iron behemoth falls forward through the docks and into the sea, its boiler hissing as the metal hit the water.
Commodore
?Caine, you will die for that.?
Kraye
?Nice one Caine, I really like the tag line. You should probably move though, he looks pissed.?
The Commodore?s face is bright red and rage fills every part of his body, red energy surges over his body and starts to widen out to cyclone of red lightning around him. The bolts streak out and strike at the men, splintering wood and starting fires. The two men dodge and dive for safety. The Commodore advances forward and raises his eyes into the air. The electricity climbs back and compresses into a ball swirling and crackling over his head. He raises one hand and takes control of the ball staring down at Caine.
Commodore
?I?m so glad you had to die this way Caine, now look at me so I can watch you suffer as you perish.?
Caine looks up and his eyes widen at what he sees.
Caine
?I?m so happy at how this turned out too. I win and get a date.?
Just as Caine finishes his sentence Maligant trots up and kicks the Commodore into one of the open holes on the deck sending him sprawling into the sea, and without control of the energy ball it harmlessly dissipates.
Kraye
?Maligant! I missed you buddy, why didn?t you come earlier when I whistled, you getting some lady horse action??
Kraye play fully elbows Maligant who whiney at the suggestion. All around him boards are splintered, and some are on fire. Caine gets up and brushes himself off.
Caine
?You sure do got a good horse there Kraye. A real fine one indeed. Now that this mess is all over, do you think I could borrow him?
Kraye
?For what??
Caine
?Well there?s this girl??
Kraye
?No, absoloutely not.Thats what started this.
Caine
?She has a sister.?
Kraye
?Sister you say? Well let us go and discuss this matter further.
The two men walk off the docks and back to town as the sun sets on the Commodores boat. Men scurry at the side of the ship pulling up a net. The Commodore clings to it, his mind set only on revenge.

fire4effekt
08-30-2010, 06:16 PM
This was a stage play I wrote for an english assignment last here, i just found it kicking around. Try to imagine the charachters are far from home and not famous. I was fairly new to the game and hadnt had alot of fluff absorbed into my mind, but i think its a fun read.

fire4effekt
08-30-2010, 06:16 PM
“Well it’s time Kraye. I’m really sorry it had to end like this.” Said Alistar Caine the deputy of Marsh Heights.
“Yep, I guess it is.” Jeremiah Kraye said with a smirk on his lips. Kraye was a tall man, clad in long leather duster and a blue civil war hat. Sitting up from the bench Kraye swings his legs out to the floor and his spurs make a sound that whispers cool. Cracking his knuckles, Kraye stands up and runs his hand over his face smoothing his finely trimmed mutton chops.
“I’m ready Caine, let’s get this show on the road.” Kraye said firmly .
Caine reached to his key ring and fetched the jail cell key for Kraye’s cell. Opening the door, he holds out a set of hand irons and Kraye holds up his wrists. “Left turn, 30 degrees.” Caine says softly as he cuffs Kraye’s wrists together. The cold iron feels good on Kraye’s skin and its touch brings him back to the moment.
“Caine, I just want to say that if we don’t make it, if we don’t make it it’s been an honor serving with you.” Kraye says with a hint of compassion.
“Kraye I could say the same to you, but I’d be lying. Ever since day one you have made my life all the more difficult. You give me grief at every turn, and drive me mad. But, in battle you are bested by none, and a fine compatriot. That is why I call you my friend. Now friend, let’s bring down the governor and get out of this with our skin still on our backs.”Caine said with a smile. Kraye, smiled back and the two men walked out of the Marsh Heights jail.
Outside in the town center gallows had been erected. The hangman’s noose swayed gently in the dry desert air. Townsfolk had gathered around to witness the hanging of the infamous Jeremiah Kraye, the only man to kill a Commodore and live. The Commodore in question had challenged Kraye to a duel, after finding out that Kraye had seduced his wife and daughter, in the same evening. Kraye begrudgingly accepted his fate and stood staring down the barrel of the Commodore’s flintlock pistol, with his own rifle held at his hip he let off but a single shot and hit the Commodore’s powder pan on his pistol causing it to explode and kill the Commodore. Kraye had fled the town and he thought successfully until being picked up by Governor Oros. Oros was the lord of the land, the butcher of Khador, the killer of men, the governor of Marsh Heights and most importantly brother of the Commodore. Oros would see Kraye swing in the breeze.
The two men approached the gallows and stepped past booing and hissing peasants. A small child threw a rock at Kraye and hit him in the brow, another spit on his shirt. If only they knew. Thought Kraye . As they stepped to the platforms Caine led Kraye up the stairs and pulled a black hood over Kraye’s face. Stepping back caine looked at the hangman wearing a black half mask smiling at Kraye.
“I’ll make you swing good laddie.” Said the hangman pulling the noose over Krayes head.
“Treat him with dignity hangman, or I’ll ensure you share his fate.”Caine said with a cold stare at the hangman, and stepped from the platform and walking off into the crowd. Kraye stood silent with his hood covering his face as the priest read last rites over him. Once the priest had finished, the governor stepped out to read the proclamation.
“People of Marsh Heights, we are gathered here to bear witness to the execution of Jerimah Kraye. Who has been found guilty of killing Commodore Oros my own brother, and also found guilty of raping and killing the Commodore’s wife and daughter.” Kraye shot Oros an evil glare to no avail, but if looks could kill Kraye’s bag would be on fire.”So with being found guilty on these charges we the people of Marsh Heights sentence you to hang until you are dead, dead your head will be sent to my palace for display on the royal pikes.”Silence falls over the crowd as the governor steps down from the hanging platform.
Remember the third toll is the queue, I will shoot the rope and then make my move. Kraye thought standing solemnly on the platform. “On the toll of the first bell pull the lever.” The governor announced to the hangman and the crowd.
All eyes turned to the clock tower as the minute changed and the first bell tolled. The hangman pulls the lever with authority and drops the trapdoor from under Kraye letting him fall pulling the noose tight. Darkness crept in to the corners of Kraye’s vision and he gurgled for a breath that would not be as the bell struck a second time. For god’s sake don’t be late Caine, please. Thought kraye as he started to convulse and shake as the third toll echoed though out the court yard only to be broken by a gunshot. The rope snapped and Kraye tumbled to the ground grasping the noose with his hand still in the irons. Regaining a bit of his composure, he heard screaming and two more gunshots echo from beyond the platform. He lifted his wrists and twisted them out and left popping the locks free and letting the heavy irons fall to the ground. He pulls his hood off and retrieves a small pistol hidden in a pocket. Good ole dependable Caine. Kraye thought to himself and worked his way from under the platform.
On the wooden walls behind the courtyard Caine dashes and dodges firing his custom flint lock pistols into the guards stupid enough to stand their ground. He swung his guns in unison like a conductor leading an orchestra. He composed a symphony of death, of destruction, of justice. Two guards rushed Caine as he dispatched two more behind him and knocked him to the ground. The blow sent the off guard Caine sprawling and the guards seized the opportunity to grab him. They grabbed Caine’s duster and pulled him to his feet as the coat fell slack, Caine had gone limp and dropped free from the sleeves catching his pistols as he went. He rolled across the floor and stood firing his pistols through each of the guards necks. The two bodies fell away with a crash and Caine searched for a way out.
Down in the courtyard Caine’s commotion took away from the fact that Kraye was no longer hanging from the gallows. The governor shouted orders much to the effect of “Get him” and “Kill him” and didn’t notice as Kraye crept up behind him. “Governor Oros, under the orders of King Leto you have been stripped of command and ordered to death for your crimes against the crown.” Kraye said holding his gun before him. Oros froze at the interruption and slowly turned to stare the pistol of his brothers murderer. “You…you will pay for this, my family will seek retribution and yours will suffer. You work for a puppet king and.” Oros fell silent as Kraye shot his pistol through his mouth and he gurgle a bit before he died.” Another traitor to the crown, another notch in my pistol handle. Once I get it back from Caine.” Kraye says with a hand shielding the sun from his eyes he looked for his old friend. As Kraye stood wiping the govoners blood from his arm a full section of the wall collapses and a dust cloud is kicked up causing Kraye to choke. Through the dust he hears a horse and the familiar voice of Caine. “You comin, or what?” Caine shouts from his horse bucking behind the dust cloud. Kraye smiles,and he runs to Caine and hops on the horse at his side, spitting some dirt from his mouth. “Lets get out of here, that place has really gone to hell.” Kraye says with a smile. The two men urge their horse forward and gallop away into the mountains as the bell tolls twelve.

fire4effekt
08-30-2010, 06:18 PM
This was a short story, exploring the same themes(it was written first) theyre probally a little rough, but i hope you enjoyed em if you can allow yourself outside normal canon for the moment.