PDA

View Full Version : SR2010R1, dice down and time restriction

Hjelmen0
10-15-2010, 01:53 AM
Hi all

Quick question that has been asked before, but was never really resolved.

When a player's turn ends due to the time limit being reached, the player is allowed to complete the current roll (or movement, but that is not relevant), and then the turn ends.

Does the completion of a roll also include completing all effects that happen as a direct consequence of a roll? AoE's deviating, slams, throws and the like, are the prime suspects for something weird happening.

The SR2010R1 document only has this to say:

If the player is in the process of making a roll of any kind, he completes that single roll and then his turn ends. But "completes that single roll" mentions nothing of effects that result from that roll.

I actually want to rule it as "You complete the roll, but all effects of the roll are lost" (meaning that an AoE that misses wont deviate, and that a slam won't knock down the target, or Befuddle wouldn't move the target and so forth, but that would be an arbitrary ruling, since there is no argument for doing either that or the converse (resolve all effects that do not generate rolls or additional movement).

What are your views on this?

Hjelmen0
10-15-2010, 02:04 AM
Asked Hacksaw76 in a PM about this, and he answered very quickly (thanks Hacksaw! Who's awesome? You're awesome!):

good question, I will clarify this element in SR2011. For now, go with resolve damage and effects on models directly hit by the final roll.

Rynth
10-15-2010, 05:16 AM
How does this interact with Sprays, Threshers and Backswings?
Since all attack rolls happen first would a spray interrupted midway through the attack rolls by time up get to roll the damage on all the models it had hit or only the model last model hit?

Iff
10-15-2010, 05:36 AM
How does this interact with Sprays, Threshers and Backswings?
Since all attack rolls happen first would a spray interrupted midway through the attack rolls by time up get to roll the damage on all the models it had hit or only the model last model hit?
Neither. It's in the quote from the first post in the thread. You finish the single roll that you're making (that's an attack roll in this case) and then your turn ends. You wouldn't roll damage against any model if "Dice down" is called when you're still in the progress of making attack rolls.

The Anders
10-15-2010, 06:13 AM
Yes you will. See post #2

Crate123
10-15-2010, 07:07 AM
No you dont, "go with resolve damage and effects on models directly hit by the final roll."
Thats fairly easy to understand, whatever you hit by that finall roll (singular, not plural) you determine damage and effects from.
You dont get to make backswings, threshers or multiple spray attacks and in the case of AOE you only determine damage against the model directly hit, not the rest of the guys surrounding him.

Malkav13
10-15-2010, 07:37 AM
For sprays, thresher and such, it won't really matter. You would finish the current roll you are on, attack or damage, apply the effects tied to that one specific roll, and then that is it.

Rynth
10-15-2010, 07:37 AM
No you dont, "go with resolve damage and effects on models directly hit by the final roll."
Thats fairly easy to understand, whatever you hit by that finall roll (singular, not plural) you determine damage and effects from.
You dont get to make backswings, threshers or multiple spray attacks and in the case of AOE you only determine damage against the model directly hit, not the rest of the guys surrounding him.

Allow me to be more clear.
I make a spray attack, 4 people are under the template.
I make two successful attack rolls. No damage rolls have been made since all attacks get made first.
Time is called as I roll the third attack, for the sake of this discussion assume a hit.

I don't get to attack the 4th guy, but what damage rolls do I get? My attack directly hit three guys and his quote says I get damage and effect on models directly hit, but also seems to limit it to the model hit by the final roll.

ryanbo724
10-15-2010, 11:07 AM
I thought for Sprays and Thresher you resolved each instance. So you wouldn't roll to hit against each model and then roll damage against each model. You would roll damage against the first, then roll damage against the first, then roll to hit against the second and then roll damage against the second etc.

In your case above, you would have rolled to hit and damage the first and you would be rolling to hit the second when dice down is called. You would then resolve the damage against that model and then your turn would end. That's how I am following the interpretation....

Rynth
10-15-2010, 12:19 PM
Look at the attack timing sequence.
Step 6 is make all the attack rolls, damage is roll in Step 10. Step 6 even calls out sprays as requiring all attacks be rolled before moving on in the sequence.

vintersbastard
10-15-2010, 12:48 PM
Allow me to be more clear.
I make a spray attack, 4 people are under the template.
I make two successful attack rolls. No damage rolls have been made since all attacks get made first.
Time is called as I roll the third attack, for the sake of this discussion assume a hit.

I don't get to attack the 4th guy, but what damage rolls do I get? My attack directly hit three guys and his quote says I get damage and effect on models directly hit, but also seems to limit it to the model hit by the final roll.

If I understand it correctly, you wouldn't get any damage rolls, as that would include another roll. I think what Hacksaw meant with "resolve damage and effects" is to mark the damage on the card/make appropriate transfers/do the whole bureaucratic rigmarole when you did a damage roll.

Otherwise, the whole fun stuff like the attack chaining under Hexeris' feat (which is all wrapped up in the resolution of the attack that started the chain) would still happen, and I don't think that Dice Down allows for that.

Rynth
10-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Thats what I thought, but Hacksaw's reply is different enough that iI felt it warranted clarification.