PDA

View Full Version : Castigator and combustion

nealb
12-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Can the Castigator use Combustion on a charge?

I have looked in the rulebook p36 hardback: ' A model can make one special attack by choosing that option during its combat action....'

I was not allowed to make the *attack, with the reason being: the *attack is on the jack not on a weapon.

I did argue this, but the ref, who I consider to be very competent, and fair in the role, said no.

I am sure this has been asked before, but I cant find an answer. What is the ruling please?

jandrese
12-08-2010, 10:52 AM
There's a tactical tip right on the page with the Castigator pointing out that it cannot use Combustion on a charge because Combustion is not tied to a melee weapon and doesn't have any wording that would allow it to be used on a charge.

For an example of what a charge enabled Combustion might look like, check out Rain of Death on the Devastator.

nealb
12-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Gotcha. I never looked in the book, only the cards.

TheUnknownMercenary
12-08-2010, 11:13 AM
You can also check page 47 under Charge:

It must use its action to make a combat action, choosing to make either initial melee attacks or (if it can make a special attack with a melee weapon) a melee special attack.

nealb
12-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Thanks Mercenary and Jandrese. If it used MAT to hit, it may have been viable, but it doesnt, so cant be viable.

Cheers for the replies chaps

FearLord
12-08-2010, 11:33 AM
If it used MAT to hit, it may have been viable, but it doesnt, so cant be viable.

That is not (directly) important - it is a melee *special attack if it is a rule of a melee weapon. A *special attack can be used after a charge only if it is a melee special attack, or it is another form of special attack that specifies that it can be used after the charge (like Rain of Death).

Mod_Redphantasm
12-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Thanks Mercenary and Jandrese. If it used MAT to hit, it may have been viable, but it doesnt, so cant be viable.

Cheers for the replies chaps

Even if it used MAT to hit, it would not be viable. The ability must be the *Attack of a melee weapon.