PDA

View Full Version : Los vs rng

gammer
12-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Ok so i played a game the other night in which a fello was trying to shoot at a model that was just behind another larger model. The attacking model checked los to the tgt. He just barly had los so he proceeded to mesure rng but not along the same line as the los .This would have ment that he had to shoot through the interveening model because it would be the only way he had rng.

Is this possible or just shananigians?

Thanks

Kypt
12-09-2010, 12:23 PM
LOS and range are two different checks. First you check whether the attacking model has LOS to enemy model. If it does (regardless what edge) then you check range. This second check doesn't care about what is in front of the model, only the shortest line that will touch both of their bases.

In short, if a model barely has LOS to another via a slight sliver of side base showing, he doesn't have to have range to that sliver to make the attack.

TheUnknownMercenary
12-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Kypt has it right, what your opponent did was perfectly legal. Works the same with melee attacks.

gammer
12-09-2010, 04:20 PM
how dose it make sence and better yet where is an offical ruling on this. i find i retain thing better when i can read them myself. thanks to both for you're replys.

admanb
12-09-2010, 04:51 PM
how dose it make sence and better yet where is an offical ruling on this. i find i retain thing better when i can read them myself. thanks to both for you're replys.

There's no official ruling, you just have to read the rulebook. The rules for drawing LOS and the rules for drawing range are unconnected.

It's the Rule. It doesn't have to make sense.

dragonforcehair
12-09-2010, 09:39 PM
wow i see shenanigans coming up!! XD

TurboNitroMonkey
12-10-2010, 12:06 AM
No shenanigans necessary. They're simply separate checks:

Does the attacking model have LoS to target model? Yes.

Does the attacking model have range to target model? Yes.

Then attack.