PDA

View Full Version : Shooting My Own Models

Sign Ahead
12-10-2010, 09:26 AM
As a new Warmachine player, I'm still wrapping my head around this "attacking my own models" thing. I think I understand the basics (treat them like an enemy model, right?), but I have a few questions about the details.

First, can a model shoot another model in its own unit? In other words, if I have a unit of Khador Assault Commandos, can I line them up in two ranks and have the back rank shoot Strangle Gas at the front rank (to conceal them with a cloud effect)?

Second, can a model shoot a friendly model if they are in base-to-base contact? Do any of the "in melee" rules apply for the shooter or the target, assuming that they are just in base-to-base contact with each other and not in melee range of an enemy model? Say that same unit of Commandos is lined up to use shield wall. Can one or two models stand slightly behind the others (so the others are in their front arc) and then gas them up?

And finally, are there any situations where it's illegal to shoot your own model, but it would be legal to shoot an enemy model if it was in the same position?

Loki77515
12-10-2010, 09:32 AM
I think I understand the basics (treat them like an enemy model, right?)
No. When you target a friendly model with an attack, it does not count as an enemy model. It is still friendly. All other aspects of an attack are still present (make sure if you get any bonuses like Aiming or Backstrike, roll 2d6 and add your RAT/MAT to the roll to see if it matches/exceeds the target's DEF, etc.).

First, can a model shoot another model in its own unit?
Yes.

Second, can a model shoot a friendly model if they are in base-to-base contact?
Yes. Friendly models can NEVER be engaged in melee with each other. You can only engage enemy models.

And finally, are there any situations where it's illegal to shoot your own model, but it would be legal to shoot an enemy model if it was in the same position?
Not that I can think of, no.

Mod_Redphantasm
12-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Also remember that Strangle Gas is a "gas" effect" not a "cloud effect" it does not block LOS or provide concealment in any way.

Sign Ahead
12-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Also remember that Strangle Gas is a "gas" effect" not a "cloud effect" it does not block LOS or provide concealment in any way.

D'oh. Bad choice of words on my part. I should have said something like "protect them with the gas effect." I forgot that "conceal" and "cloud" have very specific in-game meanings.

Thank you for your help, Redphantasm and Loki77515!