PDA

View Full Version : RoF and Casters

Terminal_C
01-06-2011, 06:02 AM
Perhaps this is a simple question, but i've seemed to overlook the answer in the rulebook. My friend plays Lilith, who has a bow with RoF 2. I was under the impression that she is able to fire twice in a turn because of said profile, BUT someone I talked to said that she can fire twice but needs to spend focus to buy the second attack. Is that how it works? It seems a little counterintuitive since models without focus who have RoF>1 can freely fire extra shots.

Aetou
01-06-2011, 06:06 AM
No, models without focus without RoF can't freely fire extra shots - they need to have an additional special rule that grants them those extra shots. Just having high RoF isn't enough. Unless a weapon has the x2 symbol on it or a special rule you only get one shot with it as part of your initial attacks and then can gain additional shots upto the RoF from rules such as focus expenditure, Double Tap and so on.

NIK2286
01-06-2011, 06:06 AM
Lyl MUST spend a Fury to buy her second shot. You get one initial shot for 'free' and then the RoF simply makes it so that she CAN fire again but has to buy it.

Also, what models have RoF>1 that do not recieve focus or ARE warcaster/locks?

I'm not being a jerk I seriously want to know

greff
01-06-2011, 06:12 AM
Cygnar long gunners.

Terminal_C
01-06-2011, 06:18 AM
Allright, so how does this work in the case of long gunners? They can't be given focus, so they can't buy extra attacks. Do they have a special rule that allows them to fire more or can they simply do so because of their RoF?

greff
01-06-2011, 06:19 AM
Long gunners have a special rule that if they forfeit their movement, they can fire a second time.

Terminal_C
01-06-2011, 06:39 AM
Muchas Gracias! This is good to know

Mod_Redphantasm
01-06-2011, 07:05 AM
A weapons ROF is the number of times it can shoot during a models activation. A models initial ranged attacks however, will still be just one attack with each of it's ranged weapons. Lylth only gets one initial attack with her bow, but may buy a second one with Fury due to the Fury: Additional Attack rule.

As was mentioned, sometimes models have a ROF greater then one, but cannot spend fury to gain the additional shot. The classic example is longgunners. They have ROF 2, but cannot spend focus. They gain their second attack through the duel shot rule, which gives them an additional attack if they aim.

Other models can make more then one attack per activation due to special rules. See the Strider Deathstalker. She can make extra attacks due to Snap Fire when the conditions are met. Snap Fire specifically states that it ignores ROF though, which is how she is allowed to do this.