PDA

View Full Version : Unit Actions - Beginner questions

Kikker
01-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Hello All,

Still trying to transition my brain from Warhammer units to Warmachine units.

Last night, I had a large unit of Winter Guard. Some of them got into melee range with a group of Satyxis Raiders on my opponents turn. So, let's say I have 6 of the 10 guys in melee at the start of the unit's activation. I attack the Raiders with each of my 6 guys who are in melee, one by one. I arrive at the 7th, not in melee guy.

Do I HAVE to engage in melee because the rest of the unit is in melee? Or do I have the option with those last 4 guys to make an advance and shoot at a different target (or even shoot at the Raiders that are not engaged), etc.?

It's really not clear for me in the rules. For Orders, it talks about 'special orders' are issued to the entire unit, but a normal advance and attack didn't sound like a special order.

Aetou
01-06-2011, 10:05 AM
You have to move all models before any of them make attacks (so you can't decide to move and take shots after resolving some of the melee attacks) but you're free for some models in a unit to make melee attacks while others make ranged attacks (or for that matter make *Actions, Aim, etc.)

DarkKoala
01-06-2011, 10:07 AM
You can shoot with the unengaged models, but you must move them before making melee attacks with the engaged ones. All models in a unit must complete their movement before any models in the unit take any actions.

Valander
01-06-2011, 10:35 AM
This is one of the biggest differences between Warhammer and Warmachine. You don't declare attacks on a unit-wide basis, but each model individually. This applies also to being attacked.

When it comes to the action phase for the unit's activation, you do one model at a time, and it can do whatever is legal for it to do, and other models do not have to do the same thing (unless compelled to by some order or something).

Mod_Redphantasm
01-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Normal advancing and normal attacking are not orders. Orders are issued by the unit leader and include things such as Charge, Run, or (for Winterguard) Bob and Weave. The unit commander issues an order at the very start of the units activation and all eligible models must perform this order.